Carnegie Mellon University Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

2.7

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University.

Interview

Took 2 months for HR to even call for phone interview. Then another month to have an in person interview with hiring manager (however this is very common in academia). Very laid back, a few prepared questions but nothing awkward. HR met with me directly after to discuss benefits and salary expectations.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online, then followed with phone interview. They asked reference letters and then do on-site interview. The on-site interview includes a seminar in research group, individual meeting with professors and lab tour.

Student Researcher Interview

Interview

Contact professors whose project you're interested in and would like to research for. Fill out application and make sure to follow through. Sometimes professors or graduate students are not keen on follow ups.

Interview Questions

• Mostly typical; behavioral questions and what you want to gain out of the research.   Answer Question

Unix Systems Administrator Interview

Interview

Multiple initial communications. They are very selective and discriminating on whom to hire. It took forever to get started. Place was just busy. Relocation included and some time allowed to adjust to work; incredibly smart people to work with. Work is very demanding and they are always struggling to be on the forefront of research and technology.

Software Engineering Inst Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University.

Interview

Three phone interviews and several hour interview in person. I had to do a half hour presentation, do a question and answer session. Submitted all online information and everything for a background check.. was strung along for months.

Graduate Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University.

Interview

Hiring process really depends on the department. For mechanical engineering, you need to submit online application, well, just like all other jobs, then if a professor is interested in you, he/she will call/email you, if you are in US, you will get an invitation for campus visit, then if the professor still likes you, they will make you an offer

Interview Questions

• Just the regular stuff, whether or not you know some field in their research and whether you are interested in becoming part of the group, etc.   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University.

Interview

Fairly simple interview, you have to have done well in the class, pretty casual, make sure you know what hours you are available and that you can attend class lectures, show that you are hard-working and that you enjoy the class

Assistant Professor - Visiting Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University.

Interview

The visiting position was advertised in June for a position to begin in August, so they were rather disorganized. The panel who interviewed me was representative of the department, it was done by phone due to the tight timeframe. I was told there would be a full time tenure track search, that I was asked to write the description for and then didn't get it.

Interview Questions

• The questions were fine in the phone interview; in the tenure track interview, one of the senior tenured faculty asked what I meant by historiography.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was not successful in getting the salary up, but they did give me some moving expenses and a very small research budget (though far less than regular faculty). Was told the average salaries I had researched in Pittsburgh were too high re the professional and medical schools there. I didn't know I would be the only woman with a PhD in the department and it turned out to be a problem...I accepted the visiting job but then was not offered the tenure track job, after being asked to do an unreasonable amount of committee work, extra projects for the department, constantly shifting content for the required sophomore class because they wouldn't just let me do my job.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University.

Interview

Submit application online, and wait for the professor to contact you in person. When the professor decide you are a fit to the project, then go into his office to have an 1-1 interview, and if he finds your skillset is a match to the position, then you would be qualified.

MS-SE Program Interview

Application

Interview

Interview process on Sype. And a code exercise was given on a choice of your language.

Interview Questions

• What are your plans. And what do you want to do after completing your education   1 Answer