Carnegie Mellon University

Updated Dec 5, 2014
Updated Dec 5, 2014

2.7

Unix Systems Administrator Interview

Multiple initial communications. They are very selective and discriminating on whom to hire. It took forever to get started. Place was just busy. Relocation included and some time allowed to adjust to work; incredibly smart people to work with. Work is very demanding and they are always struggling to be on the forefront of research and technology.

Software Engineering Inst Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University.

Three phone interviews and several hour interview in person. I had to do a half hour presentation, do a question and answer session. Submitted all online information and everything for a background check.. was strung along for months.

Graduate Student Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University.

Hiring process really depends on the department. For mechanical engineering, you need to submit online application, well, just like all other jobs, then if a professor is interested in you, he/she will call/email you, if you are in US, you will get an invitation for campus visit, then if the professor still likes you, they will make you an offer

Interview Questions
    • Just the regular stuff, whether or not you know some field in their research and whether you are interested in becoming part of the group, etc.   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University.

Fairly simple interview, you have to have done well in the class, pretty casual, make sure you know what hours you are available and that you can attend class lectures, show that you are hard-working and that you enjoy the class

Assistant Professor - Visiting Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University.

The visiting position was advertised in June for a position to begin in August, so they were rather disorganized. The panel who interviewed me was representative of the department, it was done by phone due to the tight timeframe. I was told there would be a full time tenure track search, that I was asked to write the description for and then didn't get it.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were fine in the phone interview; in the tenure track interview, one of the senior tenured faculty asked what I meant by historiography.   View Answer
    I was not successful in getting the salary up, but they did give me some moving expenses and a very small research budget (though far less than regular faculty). Was told the average salaries I had researched in Pittsburgh were too high re the professional and medical schools there. I didn't know I would be the only woman with a PhD in the department and it turned out to be a problem...I accepted the visiting job but then was not offered the tenure track job, after being asked to do an unreasonable amount of committee work, extra projects for the department, constantly shifting content for the required sophomore class because they wouldn't just let me do my job.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University.

Submit application online, and wait for the professor to contact you in person. When the professor decide you are a fit to the project, then go into his office to have an 1-1 interview, and if he finds your skillset is a match to the position, then you would be qualified.

MS-SE Program Interview

Interview process on Sype. And a code exercise was given on a choice of your language.

Interview Questions
    • What are your plans. And what do you want to do after completing your education   View Answer

School of Computer Science - Employment Process Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in March 2014.

The interview process is very lengthy; I met with 6 people on two different days after having a phone interview. I met with 2 people for an hour and then two other people for an hour. Was called back and met with 2 other people for an additional 2 + hours. Everyone was extremely professional, but the one interviewer typed on the computer the entire interview (typing the answers to my interview questions) which distracted me and I don’t know why, but I could not maintain focus as I am used to face to face conversations during a job interview. Although I appreciate the idea of saving paper, the interviewers face was in the computer the whole time and I thought that defeated the purpose of having a face to face. Not meant to be perceived as negative, but for me, I just didn't care for it as I prefer engagement. Overall, it was a pleasant place to interview.

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview questions; nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Student Interview

faculty reviewed the applications and made decision

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

The application process is department dependent. After being accepted, I was invited to attend an open house, which I did attend. The open house included presentations about the department and the different research project that would likely be available. Time was allotted for one-on-one meetings with faculty that matched our interests.

Interview Questions
    • The application essay contained the only questions that were posed.   Answer Question