Carnegie Mellon University

2.7

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

School of Computer Science - Employment Process Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in March 2014.

The interview process is very lengthy; I met with 6 people on two different days after having a phone interview. I met with 2 people for an hour and then two other people for an hour. Was called back and met with 2 other people for an additional 2 + hours. Everyone was extremely professional, but the one interviewer typed on the computer the entire interview (typing the answers to my interview questions) which distracted me and I don’t know why, but I could not maintain focus as I am used to face to face conversations during a job interview. Although I appreciate the idea of saving paper, the interviewers face was in the computer the whole time and I thought that defeated the purpose of having a face to face. Not meant to be perceived as negative, but for me, I just didn't care for it as I prefer engagement. Overall, it was a pleasant place to interview.

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview questions; nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University.

Resume and standard interview

Interview Questions
    Negotiate office hours (minimum 10 per week)

Final Position High Speed Data Ircuit Designer Begand A A Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University.

very ifficult

Interview Questions
    • its testing, roe play, keyboarding, 87% of candidates in Phia fail. Pittsburgh has 32% pass   View Answer
    you were so happy to be hired you took what they gave you

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in May 2013.

Got the Interview and got hired.

Interview Questions
    • What do you expect to learn in your job?   View Answer
    Personal background and right skillset is always crucial.

Bim Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pitts, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in May 2013.

It's quite easy if you are well prepared your project samples. They will ask about your experience, what part of model you are familiar with. Show them your model, and be confident for what you have done. It's a academic internship position, so their requirement isn't too hard.

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pitts, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in February 2013.

I applied online, during this process, I wrote a PS, a resume and many other files to prove that I am the right person to choose. Then I have to wait for the reply. I emailed Carnegie Mellon University for many times, and they gave me lots of useful information.

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in July 2012.

Following phone screening with HR person, this was a phone interview with 1 person from research team. It lasted about 15 minutes. Mostly he asked about what are on my resume, what did I learn in my master courses, experience in tools they are using.

HR person initially contacted me via email, saying she found me at online resume website. She said the institute hires project-based and continues matching the applicant's skill set per the needs come up from projects. I've got, however, contacted only once so far. (Here I'm only assuming) Maybe the result of this 1st interview works as fundamental evaluation.

Interview Questions
    • Not necessarily "difficult" question, instead this is something I couldn't answer well - what did you learn in course "Artificial Intelligence" in your master program?   View Answer

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in March 2012.

If your grad school application catches one or more of the professors' attention, they interview you either on the phone/skype (if you are from outside of US) or face to face. Depending on the professor, they can do technical and/or nontechnical interviews. My interview was nontechnical. So, be prepared for everything.

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult questions in my interview as it was nontechnical.   Answer Question

Technical Coordinator, Administrative Computing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in November 2010.

The application was done online. A month later I got an email about wanting to schedule an on campus interview at the Tepper School of Business. Once it was schedule for the next day, the Director of HR said the interviews were running late by about 30 to 45 minutes. It was a bit strange waiting in a common area with a handful of people clearly going to the same job. There were 2 other coordinators and the HR director there. They were very upfront with what they wanted and discussed a scenario about the first day of work, etc etc. It was a fairly easy interview. However it seemed if you did not know everything as an expert listed on their requirements, the interviewers were completely turned off by you.

Interview Questions
    • If on your first day of work and someone rushed in your office and requested access to Oracle, what would you do?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in September 2010.

Candidate must apply online. The online system requires a computer with significant resources (processor and memory) to work well. CMU staff communicates the specifics of the interview throughly. The interview is with many people in groups of three or more. Interview process takes several hours.

The candidate is left with the feeling this is a very professional organization who only hires the best.