Carnegie Mellon University

Relevance Date Difficulty

School of Computer Science - Employment Process Manager Interview

School of Computer Science - Employment Process Manager
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process is very lengthy; I met with 6 people on two different days after having a phone interview. I met with 2 people for an hour and then two other people for an hour. Was called back and met with 2 other people for an additional 2 + hours. Everyone was extremely professional, but the one interviewer typed on the computer the entire interview (typing the answers to my interview questions) which distracted me and I don’t know why, but I could not maintain focus as I am used to face to face conversations during a job interview. Although I appreciate the idea of saving paper, the interviewers face was in the computer the whole time and I thought that defeated the purpose of having a face to face. Not meant to be perceived as negative, but for me, I just didn't care for it as I prefer engagement. Overall, it was a pleasant place to interview.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions; nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in February 2009.

Interview Details – admission interview

Interview Question – interview questions were pretty basic (e.g., describe what kind of research you would like to work on)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University.

Interview Details – Resume and standard interview

Interview Question – What interests you about research?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiate office hours (minimum 10 per week)

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Final Position High Speed Data Ircuit Designer Begand A A Customer Service Representative Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person and interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University.

Interview Details – very ifficult

Interview Question – its testing, roe play, keyboarding, 87% of candidates in Phia fail. Pittsburgh has 32% pass   View Answer

Negotiation Details – you were so happy to be hired you took what they gave you

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in May 2013.

Interview Details – Got the Interview and got hired.

Interview Question – What do you expect to learn in your job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Personal background and right skillset is always crucial.

Graduate Student, Master's In Computational Finance Interview

Graduate Student, Master's In Computational Finance
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in March 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online. There was an online screening process and an interview. For the interview you have the option to go to Pittsburgh in person or have the interview via skype.
In the interview they were looking for 3 things:
1-Make sure you look presentable. Dress professional and carry yourself in a professional manner.
2-Conversational skills. They want to know that if you go to a job interview after you graduate you will be able to get the job. So, you need to be able to have a conversation with the interviewer and get your points across.
3-Why You? You need to tell them why they should accept you and not someone else that satisfies 1 and 2. Figure out what distinguishes you from others.

Interview Question – Why should we accept you?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I chose to go for a PhD

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in March 2012.

Interview Details – If your grad school application catches one or more of the professors' attention, they interview you either on the phone/skype (if you are from outside of US) or face to face. Depending on the professor, they can do technical and/or nontechnical interviews. My interview was nontechnical. So, be prepared for everything.

Interview Question – There was no difficult questions in my interview as it was nontechnical.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in August 2009.

Interview Details – I met my boss in a conference. My boss advertise this job position, and we have a talk. My boss also asked me to talk to the current group members. I am employed by this group because my back ground match their research. I think it is also very important have good talk with the current group members

Interview Question – I cannot think of any unexpected question. Mostly we were talking about my research and what project they want me to do in their group.   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Research Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in July 2012.

Interview Details – Following phone screening with HR person, this was a phone interview with 1 person from research team. It lasted about 15 minutes. Mostly he asked about what are on my resume, what did I learn in my master courses, experience in tools they are using.

HR person initially contacted me via email, saying she found me at online resume website. She said the institute hires project-based and continues matching the applicant's skill set per the needs come up from projects. I've got, however, contacted only once so far. (Here I'm only assuming) Maybe the result of this 1st interview works as fundamental evaluation.

Interview Question – Not necessarily "difficult" question, instead this is something I couldn't answer well - what did you learn in course "Artificial Intelligence" in your master program?   View Answer

Technical Coordinator, Administrative Computing Interview

Technical Coordinator, Administrative Computing
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in November 2010.

Interview Details – The application was done online. A month later I got an email about wanting to schedule an on campus interview at the Tepper School of Business. Once it was schedule for the next day, the Director of HR said the interviews were running late by about 30 to 45 minutes. It was a bit strange waiting in a common area with a handful of people clearly going to the same job. There were 2 other coordinators and the HR director there. They were very upfront with what they wanted and discussed a scenario about the first day of work, etc etc. It was a fairly easy interview. However it seemed if you did not know everything as an expert listed on their requirements, the interviewers were completely turned off by you.

Interview Question – If on your first day of work and someone rushed in your office and requested access to Oracle, what would you do?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Carnegie Mellon University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Carnegie Mellon University interview questions and advice in Pittsburgh, PA. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Carnegie Mellon University employees and interview candidates.