Carnegie Mellon University Interview Questions in Pittsburgh, PA

2.7

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

School of Computer Science - Employment Process Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in March 2014.

The interview process is very lengthy; I met with 6 people on two different days after having a phone interview. I met with 2 people for an hour and then two other people for an hour. Was called back and met with 2 other people for an additional 2 + hours. Everyone was extremely professional, but the one interviewer typed on the computer the entire interview (typing the answers to my interview questions) which distracted me and I don’t know why, but I could not maintain focus as I am used to face to face conversations during a job interview. Although I appreciate the idea of saving paper, the interviewers face was in the computer the whole time and I thought that defeated the purpose of having a face to face. Not meant to be perceived as negative, but for me, I just didn't care for it as I prefer engagement. Overall, it was a pleasant place to interview.

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview questions; nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in February 2009.

admission interview

Interview Questions
    • interview questions were pretty basic (e.g., describe what kind of research you would like to work on)   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University.

Resume and standard interview

Interview Questions
    Negotiate office hours (minimum 10 per week)

Final Position High Speed Data Ircuit Designer Begand A A Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University.

very ifficult

Interview Questions
    • its testing, roe play, keyboarding, 87% of candidates in Phia fail. Pittsburgh has 32% pass   View Answer
    you were so happy to be hired you took what they gave you

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in May 2013.

Got the Interview and got hired.

Interview Questions
    • What do you expect to learn in your job?   View Answer
    Personal background and right skillset is always crucial.

Graduate Student, Master's In Computational Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in March 2010.

Applied online. There was an online screening process and an interview. For the interview you have the option to go to Pittsburgh in person or have the interview via skype.
    In the interview they were looking for 3 things:
    1-Make sure you look presentable. Dress professional and carry yourself in a professional manner.
    2-Conversational skills. They want to know that if you go to a job interview after you graduate you will be able to get the job. So, you need to be able to have a conversation with the interviewer and get your points across.
    3-Why You? You need to tell them why they should accept you and not someone else that satisfies 1 and 2. Figure out what distinguishes you from others.

I chose to go for a PhD

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in March 2012.

If your grad school application catches one or more of the professors' attention, they interview you either on the phone/skype (if you are from outside of US) or face to face. Depending on the professor, they can do technical and/or nontechnical interviews. My interview was nontechnical. So, be prepared for everything.

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult questions in my interview as it was nontechnical.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in August 2009.

I met my boss in a conference. My boss advertise this job position, and we have a talk. My boss also asked me to talk to the current group members. I am employed by this group because my back ground match their research. I think it is also very important have good talk with the current group members

Interview Questions
    • I cannot think of any unexpected question. Mostly we were talking about my research and what project they want me to do in their group.   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in July 2012.

Following phone screening with HR person, this was a phone interview with 1 person from research team. It lasted about 15 minutes. Mostly he asked about what are on my resume, what did I learn in my master courses, experience in tools they are using.

HR person initially contacted me via email, saying she found me at online resume website. She said the institute hires project-based and continues matching the applicant's skill set per the needs come up from projects. I've got, however, contacted only once so far. (Here I'm only assuming) Maybe the result of this 1st interview works as fundamental evaluation.

Interview Questions
    • Not necessarily "difficult" question, instead this is something I couldn't answer well - what did you learn in course "Artificial Intelligence" in your master program?   View Answer

Technical Coordinator, Administrative Computing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University in November 2010.

The application was done online. A month later I got an email about wanting to schedule an on campus interview at the Tepper School of Business. Once it was schedule for the next day, the Director of HR said the interviews were running late by about 30 to 45 minutes. It was a bit strange waiting in a common area with a handful of people clearly going to the same job. There were 2 other coordinators and the HR director there. They were very upfront with what they wanted and discussed a scenario about the first day of work, etc etc. It was a fairly easy interview. However it seemed if you did not know everything as an expert listed on their requirements, the interviewers were completely turned off by you.

Interview Questions
    • If on your first day of work and someone rushed in your office and requested access to Oracle, what would you do?   Answer Question

Worked for Carnegie Mellon University? Contribute to the Community!