Carrot Interview Questions

2.6

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Carrot.

The website has some fun little tests which you must pass to be deemed 'creative'. 3 tasks include creating a drawing, writing a haiku and arranging some digital fridge magnets - just so you can submit your resume. Good luck remembering how to write a haiku...

Interview Questions
    They're pretty tough with salaries, but if they want you, they;ll pay for you.

Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Carrot.

I actually never had an interview, sent in a resume, or applied for the job. I learned about Carrot completely by chance when I started contributing to one of their open-source projects (as a volunteer). After several months of time spent working with members of the dev team, making frequent contributions, they mentioned that they are hiring and I eventually decided to check them out.

They flew me to Carrot HQ for a couple days so I could meet the team in person, and I decided to join.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any questions - the open-source work that I did was plenty.   Answer Question

Digital Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Carrot.

Absolutely terrible. Without warning, what was supposed to be a casual informational interview turned into a grilling by the CEO and second in command. Attitude of CEO was terrible and I should have walked out of the interview after 5 minutes. Instead I endured obnoxious questions and their terrible attitude.
    -- all of this came after their elaborate online application that seemed interesting at the time but in hindsight had no relevancy to the job and was a gigantic waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • "Do you live in Brooklyn. Most of our employees live in Brooklyn?" WTF how is that relevant?! I should have told them I lived on the Upper East Side and grew up in the tony enclaves of rich Connecticut.   Answer Question

Carrot Response

Jan 16, 2014Director of People and Culture

Hello, anonymous interview reviewer. We're sorry our untraditional interview process and atmosphere wasn't for you. As for the example question you mentioned, we typically talk about Brooklyn because ... More

Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Carrot.

The best application process you'll ever experience. I won't reveal any spoilers, but make sure you know a little bit about poetry.

My interviewing experience, coming from Canada, may have been a little different than usual. I had a phone interview first, this was mostly to see if I was a good fit in the Carrot family. The second interview was through Skype, and it went a little deeper into my experience and expectations.

My word of advice is to be patient when waiting for a response after your interview. I received my offer about a week later (which I think was pretty quick), and it was in the form of a tweet from Mike (the CEO).

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing particularly difficult or unexpected. Just be yourself, and if you're a good fit personality, experience, and skill-wise then you'll be fine. Have fun!   Answer Question
    My negotiation phase was a little complicated because I was coming from out of the country. I had to spend almost a month trying to figure out the visa and all that fun stuff. Definitely worth it in the end!

Happiness Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Carrot in May 2012.

Interviewing at Carrot was refreshing compared to all of my other experiences. Such a comfortable vibe. Everyone I met was warm and welcoming. I answered some typical interview questions about my previous work experience and my education. But then it quickly transformed into a more personal conversation. I was asked what makes me the happiest and what my passions are. It felt so freeing to be able to let down my guard, and share my true self in an interview setting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Carrot in February 2013.

The interview and hiring process was fast and extremely straight-forward, which is refreshing in a city where a lot of places will contact you initially and then leave you wondering for several months. My first in-person interview was more of a conversation with a rotating cast of current employees than a formal interview. This system was great as it allowed me to meet the people I'd be working with on my team as well as get a sense of what staff relationships were like right off the bat.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you still applying to traditional ad agencies?   View Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Carrot.

It was a low pressure interview that made me feel at ease being myself. The environment feels very comfortable and welcoming. They are more interested in getting to know you on a person to person basis– gauging whether or not you would fit in with the company's community vibe by facilitating conversation– than dishing out the standard, monotonous, interview questions that any other company might ask a potential candidate.

Producer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Carrot in March 2011.

I came into the office in Brooklyn in the morning and met with all of the founders/partners of the company at once. Was definitely a little intimidating rather than meeting one person alone first but the group was really friendly and warm. Questions ranged from work-focused (What is your experience with Facebook apps? How do you find you work best with people?) to fun (Do you prefer to old Star Wars films to the new ones? What's the one thing that makes you happier than anything else?). Was really comfortable with the group off the bat and felt like they got a good sense of me as an employee.

It was about a full month in-between my interview and getting hired. The team was communicative with me during that 30 day period, letting me know they were weighing the candidates and trying to find the right fit for the client and for the team at Carrot.

Producer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Carrot in September 2012.

After applying to the job through the crazy application, I met the CEO, CPO and CFO in a public transportation terminal in my town while they were traveling on business. They seemed to care enough to try to fit me in, in what seemed to be their only 15 minutes of rest for the day. I had a quick interview with them, and they invited me to Brooklyn to interview.

I interviewed with most of the leadership team as well as most of the people on my team. The interview was half cultural fit and half knowledge. Great team overall.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about how you communicate to a project team that they have to stay late tonight?   Answer Question

Strategist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Carrot.

It was really unprofessional. I mean, I get that the perk of the agency is that it's not at all corporate and has a frat house vibe, but this was straight up sketchy. They asked my age, marital status, and made sexual jokes -- all of which are flat out illegal. I feel like they're "hiring" for best friends and not for talent. In fact, I wasn't once asked about my professional skills except in very general terms like "what do you think of the state of the industry." I also get the feeling that they're very arrogant. Yes, they do good work, but so do a million other agencies. I was asked back but turned down further interviews; I feel like they'd be fun, but could easily implode under their own egos and booze. They also only said the pay was in the $70k range, which for a strategist with a decade of experience is nothing. Other agencies pay $100 - $120k for the equivalent.

Interview Questions
    • How old are you? Do you have a boyfriend?   View Answer

Worked for Carrot? Contribute to the Community!