Cars.com

Cars.com Interview Questions

Updated Jan 23, 2015
Updated Jan 23, 2015

Customer Service Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cars.com.

I initially received an email to schedule a phone interview. HR called and that went pretty well. She then offered me a formal interview. I received a follow up email regarding the time and date. About 2 weeks later, I receive an email stating they have to reschedule my interview for January, due to the holidays. Not sure how they didn't notice it was the middle of December in the first place. Never heard back. Seems pretty unorganized.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cars.com.

I applied online and received a call from a recruiter about a week later. After that, I was asked to interview face-to-face with my would-be supervisor and two of my would-be peers. About another week after that, I was asked to meet with two directors and the VP of Operations. All of these interviews were separate one-on-ones, which seemed unnecessary because many of the questions repeated from interviewer to interviewer.

Everyone was very friendly and I was sold on the job and the company. All of the questions were essentially about my management style/personality. They didn't seem to care much about my technical expertise.

After about another week the recruiter called me and told me that they went with someone else that had more experience. They said that they really liked me and would keep me in mind if any other positions opened up (everyone says that). However, they did contact me a few months later about another position, but didn't select me for that one either.....which I felt was a waste of my time after already interviewing 7 times with 7 different people in the department.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you deal with an employee who is struggling at their job.   View Answer

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cars.com in October 2014.

Recruiter reached out to me regarding an architect role. Spoke with potential boss initially, and then interviewed with three people I would potentially work with. After interviewing for 1.5 hours and thinking all was well, was later blindsided when told I was not "technical enough" for the position. I was not asked anything technical at all. Only about my previous job experience. I had to actually turn that into a technical discussion. This interview process was a real head scratching moment for me. I would never interview there again.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cars.com in September 2014.

It started with the hiring manager and his boss, which went great. I then talked to the scrum master, which also went very well.

I then spoke with the Technical Architect who asked several technical questions about Salesforce - the kind you see on the certification test and never matter again. I got a couple wrong.

When that portion of the interview was over, he went into the hall to talk to the developers that were coming to talk to me next. He left the door open and proceeded to trash talk me to them and insult my intelligence.

It was completely unprofessional and inappropriate, and it shook my confidence for the final portion of the interview.

It's clear that respect and professionalism aren't valued at cars.com.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the technical questions were in line with the certification exams for the technology.   View Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cars.com in August 2014.

They conducted initial phone screens by HR Manager then hiring manager. Next step is trip to Chicago to meet a series of people in person to include HR, hiring manager and hiring manager's manager.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a situation whereby you had to fulfill corporate objectives in the face of decreasing resources and how you were able to overcome that issue"   Answer Question

Digital Media Senior Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Cars.com.

First time I felt absolutely "sold" in a job interview, and I literally was drooling for the job, and the chance to work with the manager. Was not hired first time I interviewed, but was called back when several reps and managers were promoted

Interview Questions
    • As a female, working with car dealers, are you prepared to deal with some inappropriate comments, and uncomfortable situations, and how would you deal with them   Answer Question

Field Sales Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cars.com.

Starts as always with HR, then hiring manager, then hiring managers manager. Questions are pretty generic and really want to know about your background. They really want hunter mentality big time so present that as much as possible. Know the "challenger sales" method as it is their primary sales training/technique

Very little room on base salary to negotiate

Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cars.com.

The interview process was efficient and very positive. Everyone I met with was extremely welcoming and really made the company admirable. I would definitely recommend cars.com for anyone looking for a career change, they really value their employees.

Interview Questions
    • all of the questions were equally challenging, but very well worded.   Answer Question

Digital Marketer Interview

Long and drawn out process, leveraging recruiters to do communicating. Learned a lot about company and had ample opportunities to make informed decisions. People I met with we're intelligent and professional.

Interview Questions
    • None, although they struggled to answer some of my questions.   Answer Question

Not a good fit.

Marketing Interview

The interview process for this position was straightforward. I submitted my resume through the careers website, and got a phone call from the HR person. A few days later I talked with the hiring manager who asked me to come in for an on-site interview. A couple days later they called with my offer.