Cars.com Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2015

2.9

Fraud Prevention Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cars.com.

Interview

Let me preface this process with one thing. The company is extremely active in using employee referrals to hire people! I did not have a referral so there is always a chance to move forward. Interview process was extremely easy and friendly. I don't recall it being a BBI but more of a personality compatibility and work ethic check. If you have experience in the field - kudos to you. Application of your skills in the field is extremely important when sharing your examples. If I remember correctly, the whole process took about a month. I heard back from a recruiter a couple of weeks after submitting an application online. There was an initial phone screening then I was invited to interview at the offices in Chicago. I interviewed with a manager, an analyst, the director and finally the hiring manager. Again, just have fun during the interview. This company will not hire you if you're TOO serious - have fun!

Interview Questions

• What are 3 words that describe you best?   1 Answer

Digital Media Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cars.com.

Interview

Very breezy and smooth. I was contacted for an interview with a few people on the same day and heard back the next day with a job offer. Background check cleared over the weekend. They're very different from most companies, they actually care about your time and do not waste it. Extremely professional I must say.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions, mostly behavioral/personality based.   Answer Question

Service Desk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cars.com (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Received a call for a phone screen a few days after submitting my resume, about 45 minutes in length. The next week I was scheduled for an interview which took place with 3 people at once for about an hour. Most questions are experience based, rather than any abstracts. Very pleasant to speak to and not as intimidating as I had thought.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cars.com.

Interview

Fairly easy interview. I applied online and they contacted me. I talked to someone on the phone for a quick discussion on the job details, and then they asked me to come in for an on site interview. The interview was mainly questions about my background, what I've had experience in and studied, and one easy technical question to test logic.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cars.com.

Interview

Because you will be spending most of your time on the phone the first interview you do will be via phone. Once you pass that then you move into the 'in person' interview. Be ready to be there for almost 2 hours. You will be interviewed by 3-4 of the managers in Account Management. They want to make sure that you will be a good fit in the company to keep the culture strong.

Interview Questions

• It feels like you are being asked the same question over and over, but this is because they do not talk about you until after the interview   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. Kind of disappointed in that.

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cars.com.

Interview

I initially received an email to schedule a phone interview. HR called and that went pretty well. She then offered me a formal interview. I received a follow up email regarding the time and date. About 2 weeks later, I receive an email stating they have to reschedule my interview for January, due to the holidays. Not sure how they didn't notice it was the middle of December in the first place. Never heard back. Seems pretty unorganized.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Cars.com (Chicago, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

One of the biggest nightmare experiences ever (and I've had many). Overall, I spent about 10 hours interviewing and -- now two months after my (presumably) final interview -- I still haven't heard whether I got the job or not. HORRENDOUS process. Awful communication. They should be ashamed for wasting so much of my time. I pity the person who winds up with this job.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cars.com (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied online and received a call from a recruiter about a week later. After that, I was asked to interview face-to-face with my would-be supervisor and two of my would-be peers. About another week after that, I was asked to meet with two directors and the VP of Operations. All of these interviews were separate one-on-ones, which seemed unnecessary because many of the questions repeated from interviewer to interviewer. Everyone was very friendly and I was sold on the job and the company. All of the questions were essentially about my management style/personality. They didn't seem to care much about my technical expertise. After about another week the recruiter called me and told me that they went with someone else that had more experience. They said that they really liked me and would keep me in mind if any other positions opened up (everyone says that). However, they did contact me a few months later about another position, but didn't select me for that one either.....which I felt was a waste of my time after already interviewing 7 times with 7 different people in the department.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you deal with an employee who is struggling at their job.   1 Answer

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cars.com (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me regarding an architect role. Spoke with potential boss initially, and then interviewed with three people I would potentially work with. After interviewing for 1.5 hours and thinking all was well, was later blindsided when told I was not "technical enough" for the position. I was not asked anything technical at all. Only about my previous job experience. I had to actually turn that into a technical discussion. This interview process was a real head scratching moment for me. I would never interview there again.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Cars.com (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

Standard interview sectioned off into specific areas - technical, communication, insight-like, etc. One thing that I found quite odd and rude was that they would audibly discuss candidates right outside the interview room when the next interviewer was about to come in. I found this to be unprofessional. You should never hand off interview information during the process to prevent bias (debrief should be later with everyone), but if you are going to do it... at least make sure you are out of range of the candidate.

Interview Questions

• One question that was interesting and have never seen before revolved around a "release build problem" scenario. The interviewer did not explain/set expectations very well on what this was attempting to tease out. To this day, I do not know if this was supposed to be a technical skills test, communication, organization, problem solving, etc. He basically drew the scenario on the whiteboard and asked what would I do in this situation. Nothing more. I've been through and conducted a lot of interviews and have never seen anything quite like this.   Answer Question