Case Western Reserve University

Updated Sep 1, 2014
Updated Sep 1, 2014

2.6

Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Case Western Reserve University.

Received an email about getting a phone interview. Did the phone interview and it was pretty painless. I was told it would be about a week, exactly a week later I received an email/call about an in person interview. I was told that about 10 people would get phone interviews and maybe a third of those would be invited back for an in person one. For the actual interview it was with two people and was pretty straight forward. Went well and I was offered the job

Interview Questions
    Painless - once the interview was over it was up to HR to handle things from there.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Case Western Reserve University in April 2014.

Applied online and received an email from PI. We have 4 phone interviews over a month and when I confirmed to set up a formal interview in Cleveland, he never emailed me back for another interview.

Interview Questions
    • The person interviewing me had no organization and asked me to review a different published paper during each interview.   View Answer

Dental Assistant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Case Western Reserve University.

The hiring process can be a bit complicated as they usually go through a temp agency, so you may interview with them first. Very standard interviewing process. Once hired to usually stay on with the temp agency for 3 months. If your department wants to hire you onto Case's payroll, you then interview with your supervisor for the position.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiating as the college has a strict pay for each dept. They are not allowed to offer more.

International Student Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Case Western Reserve University.

Three step process: phone, large panel presentation then candidate meets with individual office members

Interview Questions
    • It seemed like a lot of protocol for a mere advisor/counselor position. This is typical for universities though.   Answer Question

A Technical Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Case Western Reserve University.

No phone interview.

1st interview with manager and a technical person. Went fine. Questions were both technical and about relating to people and managing priorities. I wasn't sold on the job at that point.

2nd interview round included meeting with 2 more groups, and a followup walk-through. These went well. However they sugar coated the job. I had some direct questions about the responsibilities and about the people that I would work with, but I was essentially lied to because they were desperate to fill the position.

Scrutinize this employer, and hope they are truthful. Look for hesitation in their answers, and don't ignore any other red flags.

Additional advice: ask about parking? i.e. how much it costs per month and if it is a mile and a half away. Seriously.... nail it down.

To be fair, in talking with many people some departments are far better than others, many do in fact like their work, but there are many departments that should be avoided. I have seen some colleagues in tears, literally! Based on talks with people avoid ITS, HR, Kelvin Smith Library, Controllers Office and Biology departments. Oh, I'd avoid the main executive office too, I hear they are a bit cranky in there.

Interview Questions
    Ok at first, but the manager showed some impatience and I should have seen this as a red flag.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview with the secretary in the department.

Department Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

There are several rounds of interviews and HR is extremely slow to get you started. Easy interviews, depending on the department.

Interview Questions
    • "With regard to LGBT issues and those surrounding minorities, how is diversity important in your life?"   View Answer
    I tried to negotiate but I was shut down really quickly.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Case Western Reserve University.

Personal Interview with PI

Research Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Case Western Reserve University in August 2012.

Applied online

Graduate Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Case Western Reserve University in May 2012.

online application, recommendations, face to face interview.