Case Western Reserve University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Postdoctoral Scholar
Cleveland, OH

I applied online - interviewed at Case Western Reserve University in October 2010.

Interview Details – Only talked to supervisor and 3 future colleagues in the lab. No difficult questions and even no presentation which surprised me. It was friendly overall. The process took several weeks which is faster than I thought since my previous boss did not want me to leave my job too soon.

Interview Question – No difficult questions for me and overall friendly. Actually during the interview the interviewer talked more than me and introduced what they were doing. Rather than interview, it was more like chatting. The same style with the three people in his group.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Cleveland, OH

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Case Western Reserve University in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an email from PI. We have 4 phone interviews over a month and when I confirmed to set up a formal interview in Cleveland, he never emailed me back for another interview.

Interview Question – The person interviewing me had no organization and asked me to review a different published paper during each interview.   Answer Question

CSA Interview

CSA
Cleveland, OH

I interviewed at Case Western Reserve University in January 2010.

Interview Details – Short and pleasant.

Negotiation Details – Straight forward.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Research Assistant I Interview

Research Assistant I
Cleveland, OH

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Case Western Reserve University in February 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted application online, was contacted by HR, hired afterwards

Interview Question – Not relevant for this situation   Answer Question

Dental Assistant Interview

Dental Assistant

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Case Western Reserve University.

Interview Details – The hiring process can be a bit complicated as they usually go through a temp agency, so you may interview with them first. Very standard interviewing process. Once hired to usually stay on with the temp agency for 3 months. If your department wants to hire you onto Case's payroll, you then interview with your supervisor for the position.

Interview Question – Nothing I can recall.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiating as the college has a strict pay for each dept. They are not allowed to offer more.

BSTP Graduate Researcher Interview

BSTP Graduate Researcher
Cleveland, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Case Western Reserve University in February 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for Case Western's Biomedical Sciences Training Program (BSTP) during my senior year of undergrad. I'm assuming whomever's reading this is a prospective graduate student, either at Case or elsewhere, since a lot of it's just general advice. Hope it helps someone.

The application process is pretty similar to those of other grad schools - you need a few essays, some letters of recommendation, your transcript. Next, select applicants visit CWRU & Cleveland for a few days. During this time, you will interview with five professors (one at a time) in the department or field you are interested in and get a chance to talk with a panel of different professors. You also get plenty of time to mingle with your graduate student hosts, tour the lab areas, and check out Cleveland.

Interview Question – The biggest questions you should ask yourself as a prospective grad student is
1) do I want to do research for the next 6-7-8 years here?
2) would I be happy living here for several years?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – The only "negotiation" you'll probably do is choosing which labs to rotate in, and which lab you'll eventually join (or switch over for whatever reason).

Research Assistant I Interview

Research Assistant I
Cleveland, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Case Western Reserve University in August 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online

Interview Question – What is your research experience?   View Answer

International Student Counselor Interview

International Student Counselor
Cleveland, OH

I applied online and interviewed at Case Western Reserve University.

Interview Details – Three step process: phone, large panel presentation then candidate meets with individual office members

Interview Question – It seemed like a lot of protocol for a mere advisor/counselor position. This is typical for universities though.   Answer Question

A Technical Position Interview

A Technical Position

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Case Western Reserve University.

Interview Details – No phone interview.

1st interview with manager and a technical person. Went fine. Questions were both technical and about relating to people and managing priorities. I wasn't sold on the job at that point.

2nd interview round included meeting with 2 more groups, and a followup walk-through. These went well. However they sugar coated the job. I had some direct questions about the responsibilities and about the people that I would work with, but I was essentially lied to because they were desperate to fill the position.

Scrutinize this employer, and hope they are truthful. Look for hesitation in their answers, and don't ignore any other red flags.

Additional advice: ask about parking? i.e. how much it costs per month and if it is a mile and a half away. Seriously.... nail it down.

To be fair, in talking with many people some departments are far better than others, many do in fact like their work, but there are many departments that should be avoided. I have seen some colleagues in tears, literally! Based on talks with people avoid ITS, HR, Kelvin Smith Library, Controllers Office and Biology departments. Oh, I'd avoid the main executive office too, I hear they are a bit cranky in there.

Interview Question – There wasn't anything too difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Ok at first, but the manager showed some impatience and I should have seen this as a red flag.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

Interviewed at Case Western Reserve University

Interview Details – Interview with the secretary in the department.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Case Western Reserve University

Worked for Case Western Reserve University? Contribute to the Community!