Castlight Health Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2014
Updated Sep 4, 2014

3.4

Product Manager Interview

Had a bad experience. Very unprofessional recruiting process where they lead you on. The interview itself requires a lot of preparation too. Worst return on time invested for an interview.

People Strategy Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Castlight Health in June 2014.

I had two phone interviews (one with recruiter, one with hiring manager).There were about 30 minutes each. Then, I had a 4 hour on-site interview with 5 people. The recruiters were extremely responsive after the process and kept in touch regularly. It was refreshing that a company cared so much about their prospects - regardless of whether or not they hire them. I was offered the job about a week after my on-site interview. I was able to receive the offer, negotiate and accept in the same day.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to teach something (create an impromptu speech).   View Answer
    Able to negotiate; negotiation turnaround was about 3 hours.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Castlight Health in May 2014.

Two phone interviews followed by in person interview.

This company is not very organized at all with the negatives of a start up. Communication is all over the place. Good luck getting them to contact you on time for a phone interview. Then they drag their feet to let you know what is next. This is one of those companies that have been around for a few years, but still think they are a start up. Kind of like a college grad who still thinks they are a student. You can’t grow a company when you don’t accept that your company has grown and now you have to take responsibility for poorly handling candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, just normal questions based on the job description.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Castlight Health.

First phone interview was more of a fit and "tell me about your experiences doing X". Second round of interviews involved preparing a case which is a good barometer for whether you'll like the work. Met with a variety of team members, from future peers to leaders on the team, which provided a good sense of what the job would be like.

Interview Questions
    • Presenting the Case, and why you made the decisions you did.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Castlight Health in August 2013.

There were initial screening interviews with the recruiter and then my future boss. Then a coding challenge and then a full day of interviews. The interview was very fair. It was more interested in culture fit than in technical interviews. They used the coding challenge as the primarily indicator of technical skill.

Interview Questions
    • The interviews were mostly behavioral so there were fewer technical questions than I expected.   Answer Question
    My recruiter negotiated but the salaries were very competitive

Marketing Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Castlight Health in December 2011.

The interview process was very thorough. I met with entire senior leadership team over a 2-3 week period. My wife and I had dinner with the CEO. I also interviewed with the co-founder and chairman of the board. Everyone was very engaged, and I got a great idea of the culture and ethos of the company. The full process was well managed and moved relatively quickly.

Interview Questions
    Castlight was very fair and transparent in the discussions.

People Strategy Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Castlight Health.

My resume was sent there by a staffing agency. The interview process took 3-4 weeks consisting of 2 phone interviews, going in person for 3 interviews, then another round in person with 2 more interviews.
    I was happy to meet with so many people so I could get a good feel for the team and the company to make sure I was a good fit and also that the position would be a good fit for me. Everyone was very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were fairly straight forward for my position.   Answer Question

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Castlight Health.

Thorough interview process. It started with a phone screen followed up by an in person interview with 3 people. Second round was in person with 5 additional people. I met all of the stakeholders that I would work closely with. I was given ample opportunity to ask questions and learn about the business. The VP, Product even demonstrated the product for me! Everyone was extremely professional and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • There were several situational questions. What would you do if...   Answer Question
    Professional.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Castlight Health.

The overall process was extremely unprofessional.

I was contacted by recruiting agents via LinkedIn and had an HR interview. After the hr interview, via email, I gave them my availability for technical phone interview, then didn't hear from them for a few weeks. One day, they suddenly called me in the morning and said that my interviewer would call me within a half hour. It was very unprofessional since they didn't give me any notice via phone/email in advance.

We scheduled a technical phone interview, but a interviewer didn't call me on the day. I had to ask recruiter to reschedule but didn't hear reasonable reason why he didn't call.

Finally, I had a phone technical interview. At the end of interview, he told me that he will send me a code challenge and asked me to submit it, but he didn't send it to me for a few days, so I had to ask the recruiter to ask him to send me the code challenge. I finally received it and finished it and sent it to him, but he didn't get back to me for a week, so I had to ask the recruiter (I should have stopped it at that point) if he has gotten it or not.

He got back to me and asked me to fix something, so I did it and sent it back to him, but then I have never heard from both recruiter and the interviewer. I even emailed them what's going on, but never still heard from them.

I already spent so much time writing the code challenge and my code worked just fine. It was the worst process that I have ever had.

Interview Questions
    • technical questions were easy. hash-table, collection, and some db questions.   Answer Question

Engineering Release Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Castlight Health.

After a phone screen and a phone interview with the hiring manager, I was brought in for a in-person interview with several engineering department managers. Everyone I met with struck me as bright and on top of things.

The office was completely open; no cubes, no offices. This stood out as the one concern I had about the place -- while I appreciate the egalitarian nature of this approach, I've personally always had a hard time concentrating in the face of too many distractions.

After the interview, I was contacted back by HR telling me they wanted me to hang on for two weeks until they'd had a chance to interview another candidate. They called me back the next week to confirm that I was still interested, then again later that week to assure me they'd be getting back to me "early next week".

After that, I received no further contact from Castlight, nor did I get a response to an email I sent after I hadn't heard from them.

I understand if the other candidate was better suited to the job, but I felt that this vanishing act speaks to a lack of professionalism in their HR. I took a day off work to come in and interview, I feel like a basic "we've decided to go in another direction" email isn't too much to ask.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer asked questions that forced me to make assumptions about their technical infrastructure and existing processes. This was difficult because I eventually found myself out on a bit of a limb, hoping I was right about their setup and practices so I could properly answer the questions.   Answer Question

Worked for Castlight Health? Contribute to the Community!