Castlight Health

Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst Interview

Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Castlight Health in May 2014.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews followed by in person interview.

This company is not very organized at all with the negatives of a start up. Communication is all over the place. Good luck getting them to contact you on time for a phone interview. Then they drag their feet to let you know what is next. This is one of those companies that have been around for a few years, but still think they are a start up. Kind of like a college grad who still thinks they are a student. You can’t grow a company when you don’t accept that your company has grown and now you have to take responsibility for poorly handling candidates.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult, just normal questions based on the job description.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Interview

Product Marketing

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Castlight Health.

Interview Details – First phone interview was more of a fit and "tell me about your experiences doing X". Second round of interviews involved preparing a case which is a good barometer for whether you'll like the work. Met with a variety of team members, from future peers to leaders on the team, which provided a good sense of what the job would be like.

Interview Question – Presenting the Case, and why you made the decisions you did.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Member of Technical Staff
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Castlight Health in August 2013.

Interview Details – There were initial screening interviews with the recruiter and then my future boss. Then a coding challenge and then a full day of interviews. The interview was very fair. It was more interested in culture fit than in technical interviews. They used the coding challenge as the primarily indicator of technical skill.

Interview Question – The interviews were mostly behavioral so there were fewer technical questions than I expected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My recruiter negotiated but the salaries were very competitive

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marketing Interview

Marketing

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Castlight Health in December 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was very thorough. I met with entire senior leadership team over a 2-3 week period. My wife and I had dinner with the CEO. I also interviewed with the co-founder and chairman of the board. Everyone was very engaged, and I got a great idea of the culture and ethos of the company. The full process was well managed and moved relatively quickly.

Interview Question – There were no "gotcha" questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Castlight was very fair and transparent in the discussions.

Director Interview

Director

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Castlight Health.

Interview Details – Thorough interview process. It started with a phone screen followed up by an in person interview with 3 people. Second round was in person with 5 additional people. I met all of the stakeholders that I would work closely with. I was given ample opportunity to ask questions and learn about the business. The VP, Product even demonstrated the product for me! Everyone was extremely professional and friendly.

Interview Question – There were several situational questions. What would you do if...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Professional.

People Strategy Interview

People Strategy

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Castlight Health.

Interview Details – My resume was sent there by a staffing agency. The interview process took 3-4 weeks consisting of 2 phone interviews, going in person for 3 interviews, then another round in person with 2 more interviews.
I was happy to meet with so many people so I could get a good feel for the team and the company to make sure I was a good fit and also that the position would be a good fit for me. Everyone was very friendly.

Interview Question – Questions were fairly straight forward for my position.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at Castlight Health.

Interview Details – The overall process was extremely unprofessional.

I was contacted by recruiting agents via LinkedIn and had an HR interview. After the hr interview, via email, I gave them my availability for technical phone interview, then didn't hear from them for a few weeks. One day, they suddenly called me in the morning and said that my interviewer would call me within a half hour. It was very unprofessional since they didn't give me any notice via phone/email in advance.

We scheduled a technical phone interview, but a interviewer didn't call me on the day. I had to ask recruiter to reschedule but didn't hear reasonable reason why he didn't call.

Finally, I had a phone technical interview. At the end of interview, he told me that he will send me a code challenge and asked me to submit it, but he didn't send it to me for a few days, so I had to ask the recruiter to ask him to send me the code challenge. I finally received it and finished it and sent it to him, but he didn't get back to me for a week, so I had to ask the recruiter (I should have stopped it at that point) if he has gotten it or not.

He got back to me and asked me to fix something, so I did it and sent it back to him, but then I have never heard from both recruiter and the interviewer. I even emailed them what's going on, but never still heard from them.

I already spent so much time writing the code challenge and my code worked just fine. It was the worst process that I have ever had.

Interview Question – technical questions were easy. hash-table, collection, and some db questions.   Answer Question

Engineering Release Manager Interview

Engineering Release Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Castlight Health.

Interview Details – After a phone screen and a phone interview with the hiring manager, I was brought in for a in-person interview with several engineering department managers. Everyone I met with struck me as bright and on top of things.

The office was completely open; no cubes, no offices. This stood out as the one concern I had about the place -- while I appreciate the egalitarian nature of this approach, I've personally always had a hard time concentrating in the face of too many distractions.

After the interview, I was contacted back by HR telling me they wanted me to hang on for two weeks until they'd had a chance to interview another candidate. They called me back the next week to confirm that I was still interested, then again later that week to assure me they'd be getting back to me "early next week".

After that, I received no further contact from Castlight, nor did I get a response to an email I sent after I hadn't heard from them.

I understand if the other candidate was better suited to the job, but I felt that this vanishing act speaks to a lack of professionalism in their HR. I took a day off work to come in and interview, I feel like a basic "we've decided to go in another direction" email isn't too much to ask.

Interview Question – One interviewer asked questions that forced me to make assumptions about their technical infrastructure and existing processes. This was difficult because I eventually found myself out on a bit of a limb, hoping I was right about their setup and practices so I could properly answer the questions.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

Interviewed at Castlight Health

Interview Details – I had a phone screening with a technical staff member which composed of a coding exercise, unit testing it, basic Java OO questions, and design pattern questions. I did very well according to the staff member as the interview was moving on a lot quicker than he anticipated.

I was asked to come on-site. I did very well with the first three interviewers. They asked me whiteboard coding questions. I was getting very excited because I had a great time discussing the problem and solution with these guys. Plus, I really enjoyed getting to know them. They were all very friendly.

Then... the fourth and final guy came in. I believe he was Korean and just recently joined the company 1 month ago. He was not very nice. In fact, he was not professional at all, in my opinion. He asked me very obscure and vague questions such as "What is the usage?" I asked him to clarify several questions, but he immediately interpreted that as if I didn't understand the topic, which is NOT the case. I've clearly demonstrated and established my technical knowledge on various subjects with the other interviewers.
This guy was not very fair to me as well. When he asked me "What design patterns have you practiced at work?" I told him how we applied the singleton pattern in my current project at work. Then, I informed him about the other patterns (Observer, State, Factory, etc.) that I know and how I have used them in my projects outside of work (i.e. M.S. degree). But he completely disregarded that and labeled me as "junior" and not "senior".
This guy was not professional and down right rude and snobby. He placed himself on a pedestal the whole time with me, giving me suggestions on the things I should know and be prepared for during interviews.

Product Management Intern Interview

Product Management Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Castlight Health in June 2013.

Interview Details – First I talked about my relevant experience and why I'm qualified for the position. Then the hiring manager asked me about the risks and opportunities the company will face in the future.

Interview Question – The risks and opportunities the company will face in the future.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Castlight Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Castlight Health interview questions and advice. All 17 interview reviews posted anonymously by Castlight Health employees and interview candidates.