Casual Male Retail Group

Casual Male Retail Group Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

14 candidate interviews

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Casual Male Retail Group in January 2012.

Interview Details – applied online headway called had a phone screen met with the dm then phone interview with rvp got emailed an offer letter the process took very long like 3 weeks

Second Assistant Manager Interview

Second Assistant Manager
Natick, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Casual Male Retail Group in July 2013.

Interview Details – The position was initially advertised on Craigslist by the Store Manager. He invited me in for an interview. I also had a chance to interview with his existing Assistant Manager. She was the most condescending person I've met in an interview. Considering I've been a Casual Male customer for many years, I know more about selling clothing to big guys than she will ever know.

I get past the interview and get passed on to HR for the next step. First, it's the demeaning psychological profile test. Then, I had the 1 hour phone interview with HR. She said I passed, and should expected to have an interview with the Regional Manager.

That's where it all ended. Never had a call. My calls were never returned.

Very unprofessional company. I wish I had read the reviews here first.

Interview Question – What do you know about selling?   View Answer

Buffalo, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Casual Male Retail Group in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied after seeing a job posting for a Store Manager at Indeed.com. I applied and completed online assessments. After the assessments I was asked to pick an interview time. I received an email from CMRG, thanking me for scheduling my interview. I was contacted by a client relationship manager from Headway Workforce who conducted the phone interview. It took just over 1 hour. It was a great interview with many questions on management concepts and how I applied them, and I was asked to provide examples. At the end of the interview I was told that the District Manager would contact me. The DM contacted me the following Monday to set up an interview. He then called me back to change the time. The next call I got was to change the location, because there was a scheduling conflict. I arrived for the interview, which was at a noisy cafe with a lot of distractions. The interview was about an hour long, we discussed management style and I had questions about what I read online about casual male group. Basically, I read that all the stores were being converted, and I asked what would be happening to the store I was applying for. The DM told me that there would be at least two stores being combined into one new DXL location, and that he would only be taking the best performing managers from each store, the others would not be needed. The time frame was about six months. So basically, if hired, I had six months to learn the company and out perform the other managers, or risk being let go. I was still interested and he said that he would be be making a decision in two weeks. That was two months ago and I never received a follow-up phone call, letter, or e-mail. Not even a "thank you for applying, but we selected another.." Basically it was a huge waste of time, but I thing they did me a favor. Based on what others have said, it's not a company that I would want to pursue.

Interview Question – "Are you looking to switch jobs because you need to make more money?" I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that question straddles the inappropriae.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Casual Male Retail Group.

Interview Details – several interviews they want to make sure they have the right person for the right company

Interview Question – na   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – be yourself if you do not do well then you need another company

Key Holder Interview

Key Holder
Fairlawn, OH

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Casual Male Retail Group.

Interview Details – I filled out an application online within a few days I was called for an interview. Upon calling back I had an interview scheduled for the next day and was called back the same day for a job offer. The interview process was by the book. Asking questions that you knew had right and wrong answers. The application stated full time but the reality was part time. They explain the $6.30 per hour and 3% comission on sales and it sounds like you can make $1000 a week. Completely unrealistic for a regular Casual Male store and a low sales one especially.

Interview Question – The most difficult question is always describe yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. They tell you exactly what you are going to get paid and make it seem incredible. In reality it is pitiful.

Store Manager

Interview Details – A manager from a retail clothing store had been contacted by a recruiter looking for qualified individuals for a store management position. The manager called me as the recruiter was needing to hire quickly. I did an online search and found the job posted on a job board. I applied and completed online assessments. After the assessments I was asked to pick an interview time. I received an email from CMRG, thanking me for scheduling my interview. I was contacted by a client relationship manager from Headway Workforce who conducted the phone interview. It took 1 hour and 10 minutes. It was a great interview with many questions on management concepts and how I applied them, and I was asked to provide examples. At the end of the interview I was told that the District Manager would contact me as that DM would be in town the current week and their search was critical. I was provided with the name of the DM and thanked,and asked to complete the online profile with CMRG, as well as submit my interest to the CMRG job posting. I received a 'Thank You' email from Headway confirming that the named DM would be contacting me and the link for CMRG. While there were jobs for that location, there was not a posting for store manager. I did submit my resume and cover letter to another posting to that location so that my information would be available for them to view in case there was a glitch. I have worked for a company that converted to an electronic application process and I have seen a couple of glitches before. I sent a return email to Headway, thanking them for the interview and notifying them of the absent job posting on CMRG. It has been over two weeks and I have not been contacted, nor was my email responded to. Too bad as they may have lost a valuable asset.

Interview Question – Very good and indepth interview. Best question: How do I evaulate performance and how do I correct underperformers?   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Casual Male Retail Group in January 2012.

Interview Details – This process began with a recruiter contacting me through my email. I went onto the link she provided to me and applied for the position. I then went through 3 different assessments that took about 1 hour each. Once they had been successfully completed she then scheduled an interview time over the phone.
I went through 2 phone interviews with a recruiting agent first. Then the District Manager phone interviewed with me. All 3 took an hour or more. DM scheduled time to fly over for personal interview. Two days before I had not received word of confirmation so I called the recruiter. She told me that the meeting had been canceled and she was just about to call me when I called her. She said the DM would contact me to reschedule, however she called me a week later to reschedule. I finally met with the DM who in turn brought another person with him that was transferring into this district. I was with them both for two hours. I then had contact the Region Vice President for yet another phone interview. This entire process from beginning to end took two months and three weeks before I was offered the position. Past that I I was given one start date and ended up staring 3 weeks sooner with only 2 days advanced notice.

Negotiation Details – Negotiation process was rather smooth.

Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Casual Male Retail Group.

Interview Details – Easy interview with store manager....very easy to talk to.

Interview Question – None....store manager and I had previously worked for another retail store and had quite a bit in common.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very easy...not difficult at all.

Very Easy Interview

Hamden, CT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Casual Male Retail Group in September 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online, was asked to set up a date and time for a phone interview. That time came and went. No phone call. I tried reaching someone but to no avail. The worst part is they never emailed or gave me a phone call back.

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Westminster, CO

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Casual Male Retail Group.

Interview Details – Saw an ad on Craigslist for a Sales/Manager position. I emailed my resume and got a call about a week later for an interview the next day.

I show up on time. The manager was with another guest so I probably waited 10 minutes before the interview started.

Asked the standard questions. "Why us" "What is a good manager" "Where is your favorite place to shop" "Describe a time you got good service"

I have to say it was very unprofessional. Her phone kept ringing, got interrupted by the other manager filling in from Cherry Creek. She even told me that they are always understaffed and most of the time you work by yourself. Stocking, cashier, meeting sale goals.

I left and never heard anything from her again. Kind of glad I didn't get the job after what I saw. The pay was a joke for what was expected.

Interview Question – Why Casual Male?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Casual Male Retail Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Casual Male Retail Group interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Casual Male Retail Group employees and interview candidates.