Caterpillar Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 5, 2014

2.9

27 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Engineer Interview

targeted selection process..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Other Interview Reviews for Caterpillar

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Traditional interview process, first round generally with HR or volunteer. 2nd round is with trained interviewers in the group that you are being considered for. Following the STAR or similar method is best to crack the interview, but focus on making a connection with your interviewer. Generally, a host is assigned that will take you around the town, have lunch/dinner with you, and answer questions about the company. Take advantage of that opportunity!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, mainly behavioral and culture fit questions, using the Targeted Selection interview and recruiting process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, Wayne, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, Wayne, IA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar in March 2013.

first started out witha phone interview.. then a one on one session. passed both of those.. drug test ,, hired the following week

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar in February 2012.

I applied online and received an invitation for onsite interview for a research position in engine department. Interview was scheduled a week from the day i received the email. The process of getting tickets was easy and straight forward. They have a department to take care of that. I arrived in Peoria the day before the interview took a cab to the hotel. Had a nice meal and rested the night. The next morning i took a cab to the interview location and meet with the guide who accompanied to get the drug test done. After which i proceeded to go to the interview room.
    The room was average, with a conference table and chairs, pretty standard. The manager arrived first followed the two other interviewers. The interview process was fairly straight forward, they used target selection. After the interview, i went to eat lunch, the guide had a conference call to attend so i had to go out eat alone. After which i was taken on a brief tour of campus.
    They never really sent me a rejection letter, it has been more than 5 weeks since the interview. I am pretty sure the position is filled.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you failed to meet a deadline?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar in November 2011.

In early Oct. I got an on-campus interview. Didn't hear anything for about a month but was pleased to receive an offer to do an on-site interview in the Peoria area. I interviewed for a position in: Leadership and Technical Development Program - Product Development Track

Went out to a nice meal the night before with hosts and other interviewees.
    My host was around at various points throughout the interview day including picking me up to take me from the hotel to the engineering complex and a tour of Peoria afterward.

Interview day consisted of an introductory presentation to all interviewees, 3 different 1:1 interviews, a fine quality lunch, a tour, a presentation on benefits, and 1:1 time with the manager of the area you would be hired into. Overall it was a well run process that made me feel immersed into the company for a day, more so than other companies I've encountered.

The interviews were with 3 different managers including one who manages the division I would be hired into. The interview questions were behavioral based as have been described here. However, I would not go into these 'cold turkey'. I spent a decent amount of time 2 days before the interview practicing questions with someone and adding to my repertoire of scenarios to draw from.

I was informed the interviewers would have meetings to decide on candidates that same day. (I also understood that while there were multiple interviewees, we were not competing as we had all been picked for different positions). I received an offer by email about 1.5 weeks after my on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • How did you arrive at choosing your major?   Answer Question
    • Sometimes people you work with will be more challenging than others. How have you experienced this before and what did you do about it?   Answer Question
    I didn't not have any other offers at the time but the Cat offer was very good so I did not try to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar in May 2011.

Phone interview, followed by a face-to-face on-site. All questions were based on my resume. No specific technical questions outside resume.

Interview Questions
    • STAR style interview (Situation, Task, Analysis & Results approach). Mainly discusses resume.   Answer Question
    Completely INnflexible

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in May 2011.

I interviewed with the hiring manager and two other managers working in the same group. All three interviews had the same structure. The manager will start off by presenting himself and talking about what his group does then asks you to speak briefly about yourself. He then proceeds to start the behavioral (STAR) interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to use an unconventional method to solve a problem?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in February 2011.

Three 1 hr interviews that were all behavioral; asked the same questions in all of them. They were the typical "tell me about a time when". Be prepared to speak about previous internship experiences if you are seeking entry level positions. Overall, nice people, enjoyable interview. Oh, and they make you pee in a cup afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you developed an innovative solution to a problem you were facing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2010.

Caterpillar uses the Targeted Selection interview philosophy which has as its underlying assumption that 'past behavior is a good indicator of future performance'. Questions will ask for a specific example from your past job experience. Good answers will describe the situation it happened in, the specific task you were given, the actions you took, and the results.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult or unexpected, but sometimes it is hard to think of a specific, real example from your past that relates to the question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar in March 2010.

I was interviewed by two different caterpillar recruiters.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in a group when your idea was up for contest against someone else's idea. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question