Caterpillar Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 5, 2015

2.9

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Had one on one with three different managers.one hour of interview with each one of them.Moslty S.T.A.R. Questions. Hiring process is slow.took me almost 3 months before I got an offer. Technical questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Caterpillar

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Caterpillar in October 2014.

Interview

Met recruiters at a career fair. Was asked to interview next day. Interview was behavioral - answer in the STAR format. Was told if interview went well would have second on site interview.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral - Asked to answer in STAR format. Give me a situation when...   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Interview

targeted selection process..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Traditional interview process, first round generally with HR or volunteer. 2nd round is with trained interviewers in the group that you are being considered for. Following the STAR or similar method is best to crack the interview, but focus on making a connection with your interviewer. Generally, a host is assigned that will take you around the town, have lunch/dinner with you, and answer questions about the company. Take advantage of that opportunity!

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult, mainly behavioral and culture fit questions, using the Targeted Selection interview and recruiting process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, Wayne, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, Wayne, IA) in March 2013.

Interview

first started out witha phone interview.. then a one on one session. passed both of those.. drug test ,, hired the following week

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in February 2012.

Interview

I applied online and received an invitation for onsite interview for a research position in engine department. Interview was scheduled a week from the day i received the email. The process of getting tickets was easy and straight forward. They have a department to take care of that. I arrived in Peoria the day before the interview took a cab to the hotel. Had a nice meal and rested the night. The next morning i took a cab to the interview location and meet with the guide who accompanied to get the drug test done. After which i proceeded to go to the interview room. The room was average, with a conference table and chairs, pretty standard. The manager arrived first followed the two other interviewers. The interview process was fairly straight forward, they used target selection. After the interview, i went to eat lunch, the guide had a conference call to attend so i had to go out eat alone. After which i was taken on a brief tour of campus. They never really sent me a rejection letter, it has been more than 5 weeks since the interview. I am pretty sure the position is filled.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you failed to meet a deadline?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in November 2011.

Interview

In early Oct. I got an on-campus interview. Didn't hear anything for about a month but was pleased to receive an offer to do an on-site interview in the Peoria area. I interviewed for a position in: Leadership and Technical Development Program - Product Development Track Went out to a nice meal the night before with hosts and other interviewees. My host was around at various points throughout the interview day including picking me up to take me from the hotel to the engineering complex and a tour of Peoria afterward. Interview day consisted of an introductory presentation to all interviewees, 3 different 1:1 interviews, a fine quality lunch, a tour, a presentation on benefits, and 1:1 time with the manager of the area you would be hired into. Overall it was a well run process that made me feel immersed into the company for a day, more so than other companies I've encountered. The interviews were with 3 different managers including one who manages the division I would be hired into. The interview questions were behavioral based as have been described here. However, I would not go into these 'cold turkey'. I spent a decent amount of time 2 days before the interview practicing questions with someone and adding to my repertoire of scenarios to draw from. I was informed the interviewers would have meetings to decide on candidates that same day. (I also understood that while there were multiple interviewees, we were not competing as we had all been picked for different positions). I received an offer by email about 1.5 weeks after my on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• How did you arrive at choosing your major?   Answer Question
    • Sometimes people you work with will be more challenging than others. How have you experienced this before and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't not have any other offers at the time but the Cat offer was very good so I did not try to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by a face-to-face on-site. All questions were based on my resume. No specific technical questions outside resume.

Interview Questions

• STAR style interview (Situation, Task, Analysis & Results approach). Mainly discusses resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Completely INnflexible

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

I interviewed with the hiring manager and two other managers working in the same group. All three interviews had the same structure. The manager will start off by presenting himself and talking about what his group does then asks you to speak briefly about yourself. He then proceeds to start the behavioral (STAR) interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to use an unconventional method to solve a problem?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Lafayette, IN) in April 2011.

Interview

Recruiter arranged a screening interview with their hiring manager. After passing the initial interview I was brought on site for 1:1 with managers a facility tour and meal. The interviews where by three managers that often had identical questions.