Caterpillar

Updated Nov 16, 2014

2.9

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Caterpillar in October 2014.

Met recruiters at a career fair. Was asked to interview next day. Interview was behavioral - answer in the STAR format. Was told if interview went well would have second on site interview.

Interview Questions
  • Behavioral - Asked to answer in STAR format. Give me a situation when...   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Caterpillar

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, Wayne, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, Wayne, IA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar in March 2013.

first started out witha phone interview.. then a one on one session. passed both of those.. drug test ,, hired the following week

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2010.

Caterpillar uses the Targeted Selection interview philosophy which has as its underlying assumption that 'past behavior is a good indicator of future performance'. Questions will ask for a specific example from your past job experience. Good answers will describe the situation it happened in, the specific task you were given, the actions you took, and the results.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult or unexpected, but sometimes it is hard to think of a specific, real example from your past that relates to the question.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

targeted selection process..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar in May 2011.

Phone interview, followed by a face-to-face on-site. All questions were based on my resume. No specific technical questions outside resume.

Interview Questions
    • STAR style interview (Situation, Task, Analysis & Results approach). Mainly discusses resume.   Answer Question
    Completely INnflexible

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Traditional interview process, first round generally with HR or volunteer. 2nd round is with trained interviewers in the group that you are being considered for. Following the STAR or similar method is best to crack the interview, but focus on making a connection with your interviewer. Generally, a host is assigned that will take you around the town, have lunch/dinner with you, and answer questions about the company. Take advantage of that opportunity!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, mainly behavioral and culture fit questions, using the Targeted Selection interview and recruiting process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar in August 2009.

Started as an intern, worked my butt off and got hired at the end of the summer. Interview was a day long with 3 separate people. It was intense, but was more laid back because I had met everyone during my internship and could refer to familiar experiences.

Interview Questions
    • It's all experience-based questions... "Tell me about a time when_____." Fill in the blank. These are like "when someone on your team wasn't pulling his weight." or "when you had to solve a problem given limited time/information." You are expected to recall such an experience and give a reasoned response in how you solved the problem.   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation. I was happy with the initial offer as it was my first job out of engineering school.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in April 2012.

shortlisted from aptitude test and then conducted interview..the team for recruitment process shortlisted people who dint take part in aptitude test also.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in September 2009.

Caterpillar's process is more of selecting candidates by their ability to thrive in a work environment. If faced with tough situations, how do you handle it. You need to provide actual examples from your past experiences. Describe your actual situation, what you specifically did. As an Engineer they know we are technically capable, but to get things done, you need soft skills which Engineers are not so good at.

Interview Questions
    • Can you describe a situation in which you had to resolve a conflict. What was the situation, what did you do about it and what was the result?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Initial interview was on campus, consisted mainly of STAR interview questions followed by an informal conversation.

About 5 weeks later I received an invitation to visit Caterpillar and interview on site. Caterpillar booked/paid for my flight, rental car, hotel, and meals, as well as personal mileage on my car.

The night before interviews I was given a tour of the town and taken to a nice dinner with the "host" (the person responsible for guiding you around the company, answering questions, etc.) Started the day off with three 1:1 interviews, the 2nd being with the actual hiring manger for the position. Interviews were followed by a drug test, lunch, and a tour of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to manage a heavy workload. How did you handle it, what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Everyone I spoke with at the company was courteous and easy to talk to. The position was really great, and the group of people I would have worked with seemed easy going, pleasant, and proficient. However, I was skeptical about taking a job so far from home, and after visiting the area, I decided to take a different offer.

Also, regarding the salary and benefits, both were very competitive and higher than I would expect.