Caterpillar Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 5, 2015

2.9

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Had one on one with three different managers.one hour of interview with each one of them.Moslty S.T.A.R. Questions. Hiring process is slow.took me almost 3 months before I got an offer. Technical questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Caterpillar

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Lafayette, IN) in April 2011.

Interview

Recruiter arranged a screening interview with their hiring manager. After passing the initial interview I was brought on site for 1:1 with managers a facility tour and meal. The interviews where by three managers that often had identical questions.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Caterpillar in October 2014.

Interview

Met recruiters at a career fair. Was asked to interview next day. Interview was behavioral - answer in the STAR format. Was told if interview went well would have second on site interview.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral - Asked to answer in STAR format. Give me a situation when...   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, Wayne, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, Wayne, IA) in March 2013.

Interview

first started out witha phone interview.. then a one on one session. passed both of those.. drug test ,, hired the following week

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in March 2010.

Interview

Caterpillar uses the Targeted Selection interview philosophy which has as its underlying assumption that 'past behavior is a good indicator of future performance'. Questions will ask for a specific example from your past job experience. Good answers will describe the situation it happened in, the specific task you were given, the actions you took, and the results.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult or unexpected, but sometimes it is hard to think of a specific, real example from your past that relates to the question.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Interview

targeted selection process..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by a face-to-face on-site. All questions were based on my resume. No specific technical questions outside resume.

Interview Questions

• STAR style interview (Situation, Task, Analysis & Results approach). Mainly discusses resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Completely INnflexible

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Traditional interview process, first round generally with HR or volunteer. 2nd round is with trained interviewers in the group that you are being considered for. Following the STAR or similar method is best to crack the interview, but focus on making a connection with your interviewer. Generally, a host is assigned that will take you around the town, have lunch/dinner with you, and answer questions about the company. Take advantage of that opportunity!

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult, mainly behavioral and culture fit questions, using the Targeted Selection interview and recruiting process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in August 2009.

Interview

Started as an intern, worked my butt off and got hired at the end of the summer. Interview was a day long with 3 separate people. It was intense, but was more laid back because I had met everyone during my internship and could refer to familiar experiences.

Interview Questions

• It's all experience-based questions... "Tell me about a time when_____." Fill in the blank. These are like "when someone on your team wasn't pulling his weight." or "when you had to solve a problem given limited time/information." You are expected to recall such an experience and give a reasoned response in how you solved the problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiation. I was happy with the initial offer as it was my first job out of engineering school.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Caterpillar (Chennai (India)) in April 2012.

Interview

shortlisted from aptitude test and then conducted interview..the team for recruitment process shortlisted people who dint take part in aptitude test also.