Caterpillar Engineering Intern Interview Questions

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

Apply online after career fair and had a face to face interview at my school 3 days later. Heard back with an email offer within 2 months. Was required to maintain a certain GPA until the start of the internship.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult problem or situation you were faced with and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Caterpillar

Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2014.

Interview

I came early to ensure I could get there even if I got lost. I was told to take a seat, and based off of how people came into work (it was an early interview, so people were still arriving) it seems like a nice place to work with lots of nice people. Since I was there early, I actually interviewed earlier than expected, which was fine. It was not a technical interview, just an hour or so worth of non-technical questions. I had two interviews. Both interviewers were quite nice and easy to talk with, and the questions were clear (not ambiguous). After being asked questions for a while, I was given the chance to ask them questions. Overall it was a good experience. I have not yet received an offer, but it hasn't been very long yet.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were leading a project and one of the members dominated the conversation. What did you do to help mitigate this?   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Interview

I applied through the school's website and they called for an interview on campus.

Interview Questions

• All behavioral based questions with two different people in a one hour block.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Very friendly and positive interview process. Format was straight forward with questions mostly asking "Tell me about a time when..."

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you failed to meet expectations, and how did you respond?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

One single phone interview with technical and behavioral questions. The interview was conducted by two engineers. So went well along the expected lines. They mostly stuck to situation type scenarios. I heard most of the interviews for EDP and intern positions are mostly behavioral type questions.

Negotiation

None

Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

I applied online and received an email about a month later for an interview. I was asked questions by two different employees. The interview process, overall, was pretty great.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in May 2012.

Interview

Initially applied on the caterpillar website. Received an email asking for available phone interview times as well as instructions on how to submit an unofficial transcript to the HR department. Two 30 minute phone interviews were conducted with seemingly younger engineers. Ultimately received a rejection email a week or two later.

Interview Questions

• What class or experience do you feel prepared you the most for future employment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Chicago, IL) in September 2010.

Interview

All behavioral interview questions, nothing else

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to make a decision quickly   Answer Question
    • describe a time when you had to provide customer service   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Wamego, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Wamego, KS) in January 2010.

Interview

This was some time ago, but I believe it was largely a behavioral based interview in which they asked fairly typical questions (e.g. describe a time when you failed, when you suceeded, why you'd be good for this position, etc.)

Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

I got an email about doing a phone interview the next week. The phone interview was all behavior questions. They are pretty quick in responding. The people interviewing me was really nice and I liked how they had some personal experiences to add on to my answers. It made the interview slightly more personal.

Interview Questions

They offered me a pretty mid-high summer salary, but they only gave me a week to decide so I decided to decline to see my chances at other internships later in the fall and potentially the spring.