Caterpillar

Average Difficulty
27 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Peoria, Wayne, IA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2013.

Interview Details – first started out witha phone interview.. then a one on one session. passed both of those.. drug test ,, hired the following week

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to develop a project   Answer Question

Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2010.

Interview Details – Caterpillar uses the Targeted Selection interview philosophy which has as its underlying assumption that 'past behavior is a good indicator of future performance'. Questions will ask for a specific example from your past job experience. Good answers will describe the situation it happened in, the specific task you were given, the actions you took, and the results.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult or unexpected, but sometimes it is hard to think of a specific, real example from your past that relates to the question.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Interviewed at Caterpillar

Interview Details – targeted selection process..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Very Easy Interview

Peoria, IL

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Caterpillar in May 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview, followed by a face-to-face on-site. All questions were based on my resume. No specific technical questions outside resume.

Interview Question – STAR style interview (Situation, Task, Analysis & Results approach). Mainly discusses resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Completely INnflexible

Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview Details – Traditional interview process, first round generally with HR or volunteer. 2nd round is with trained interviewers in the group that you are being considered for. Following the STAR or similar method is best to crack the interview, but focus on making a connection with your interviewer. Generally, a host is assigned that will take you around the town, have lunch/dinner with you, and answer questions about the company. Take advantage of that opportunity!

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, mainly behavioral and culture fit questions, using the Targeted Selection interview and recruiting process.   Answer Question

Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in August 2009.

Interview Details – Started as an intern, worked my butt off and got hired at the end of the summer. Interview was a day long with 3 separate people. It was intense, but was more laid back because I had met everyone during my internship and could refer to familiar experiences.

Interview Question – It's all experience-based questions... "Tell me about a time when_____." Fill in the blank. These are like "when someone on your team wasn't pulling his weight." or "when you had to solve a problem given limited time/information." You are expected to recall such an experience and give a reasoned response in how you solved the problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation. I was happy with the initial offer as it was my first job out of engineering school.

Mossville, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in September 2009.

Interview Details – Caterpillar's process is more of selecting candidates by their ability to thrive in a work environment. If faced with tough situations, how do you handle it. You need to provide actual examples from your past experiences. Describe your actual situation, what you specifically did. As an Engineer they know we are technically capable, but to get things done, you need soft skills which Engineers are not so good at.

Interview Question – Can you describe a situation in which you had to resolve a conflict. What was the situation, what did you do about it and what was the result?   Answer Question

Champaign, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by two different caterpillar recruiters.

Interview Question – Describe a situation in a group when your idea was up for contest against someone else's idea. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Peoria, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in February 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an invitation for onsite interview for a research position in engine department. Interview was scheduled a week from the day i received the email. The process of getting tickets was easy and straight forward. They have a department to take care of that. I arrived in Peoria the day before the interview took a cab to the hotel. Had a nice meal and rested the night. The next morning i took a cab to the interview location and meet with the guide who accompanied to get the drug test done. After which i proceeded to go to the interview room.
The room was average, with a conference table and chairs, pretty standard. The manager arrived first followed the two other interviewers. The interview process was fairly straight forward, they used target selection. After the interview, i went to eat lunch, the guide had a conference call to attend so i had to go out eat alone. After which i was taken on a brief tour of campus.
They never really sent me a rejection letter, it has been more than 5 weeks since the interview. I am pretty sure the position is filled.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you failed to meet a deadline?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Mossville, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Caterpillar in November 2011.

Interview Details – In early Oct. I got an on-campus interview. Didn't hear anything for about a month but was pleased to receive an offer to do an on-site interview in the Peoria area. I interviewed for a position in: Leadership and Technical Development Program - Product Development Track

Went out to a nice meal the night before with hosts and other interviewees.
My host was around at various points throughout the interview day including picking me up to take me from the hotel to the engineering complex and a tour of Peoria afterward.

Interview day consisted of an introductory presentation to all interviewees, 3 different 1:1 interviews, a fine quality lunch, a tour, a presentation on benefits, and 1:1 time with the manager of the area you would be hired into. Overall it was a well run process that made me feel immersed into the company for a day, more so than other companies I've encountered.

The interviews were with 3 different managers including one who manages the division I would be hired into. The interview questions were behavioral based as have been described here. However, I would not go into these 'cold turkey'. I spent a decent amount of time 2 days before the interview practicing questions with someone and adding to my repertoire of scenarios to draw from.

I was informed the interviewers would have meetings to decide on candidates that same day. (I also understood that while there were multiple interviewees, we were not competing as we had all been picked for different positions). I received an offer by email about 1.5 weeks after my on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• How did you arrive at choosing your major?   Answer Question
  • Sometimes people you work with will be more challenging than others. How have you experienced this before and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't not have any other offers at the time but the Cat offer was very good so I did not try to negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Caterpillar

Worked for Caterpillar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Caterpillar Engineering interview questions and advice. All 27 interview reviews posted anonymously by Caterpillar employees and interview candidates.