Caterpillar Engineering Interview Questions

2.9

27 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in September 2009.

Caterpillar's process is more of selecting candidates by their ability to thrive in a work environment. If faced with tough situations, how do you handle it. You need to provide actual examples from your past experiences. Describe your actual situation, what you specifically did. As an Engineer they know we are technically capable, but to get things done, you need soft skills which Engineers are not so good at.

Interview Questions
  • Can you describe a situation in which you had to resolve a conflict. What was the situation, what did you do about it and what was the result?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Caterpillar

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar in August 2009.

Started as an intern, worked my butt off and got hired at the end of the summer. Interview was a day long with 3 separate people. It was intense, but was more laid back because I had met everyone during my internship and could refer to familiar experiences.

Interview Questions
    • It's all experience-based questions... "Tell me about a time when_____." Fill in the blank. These are like "when someone on your team wasn't pulling his weight." or "when you had to solve a problem given limited time/information." You are expected to recall such an experience and give a reasoned response in how you solved the problem.   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation. I was happy with the initial offer as it was my first job out of engineering school.

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in April 2009.

It was a standard college-grad interview site. The interviewer kept asking esoteric questions along the lines of "What does the word system mean to you?". Another question that seemed to have no answer was "If you were in South America representing our company, and a customer needed a part that you did not have, what would you tell him?"

I received a better offer from another company.

Engineering Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in February 2009.

The interview process consisted on two individual interviews with two recruiters. The interview was more of a personality test, with each interview lasting about 30 minutes or so. The recruiters were laid back and typed everything that you said into their computers.
    After the interviews, I did not hear anything back from the recruiters. They did not tell me why they did not give an offer or anything. I emailed the recruiter and did not get any response back at all.

Interview Questions
    • Please give a scenario where your role as a leader hurt your team in the overall performance.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in March 2008.

Interviewd at campus then 3 interview at company site. All STAR question

Not much negotiation possible

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Decatur, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Decatur, IL

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar in January 2008.

easy interview process

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in April 2012.

Initial interview was on campus, consisted mainly of STAR interview questions followed by an informal conversation.

About 5 weeks later I received an invitation to visit Caterpillar and interview on site. Caterpillar booked/paid for my flight, rental car, hotel, and meals, as well as personal mileage on my car.

The night before interviews I was given a tour of the town and taken to a nice dinner with the "host" (the person responsible for guiding you around the company, answering questions, etc.) Started the day off with three 1:1 interviews, the 2nd being with the actual hiring manger for the position. Interviews were followed by a drug test, lunch, and a tour of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to manage a heavy workload. How did you handle it, what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Everyone I spoke with at the company was courteous and easy to talk to. The position was really great, and the group of people I would have worked with seemed easy going, pleasant, and proficient. However, I was skeptical about taking a job so far from home, and after visiting the area, I decided to take a different offer.

Also, regarding the salary and benefits, both were very competitive and higher than I would expect.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

shortlisted from aptitude test and then conducted interview..the team for recruitment process shortlisted people who dint take part in aptitude test also.

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in October 2011.

Very standard behavior based questions were asked. What bothered me was that the theme given for some of the questions didn’t actually fit the question themselves. For one question the theme was “Decision Making” and this was given before the actual question. The question was “When working with a team describe a time when you found a mistake and how you handled it.” Well obviously the question is easy, I found a problem and fixed it… I don’t understand why the theme for this question was “Decision Making.”

Interview Questions
    • Theme: Innovation Describe how you make important decisions.   View Answer

Engineering Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar in September 2011.

Caterpillar came to my university and held on-campus interviews. I signed up for one and did well enough to get asked to come to Peoria, IL for an on-site full day interview. I was treated very well. They took me and other candidates out to a steakhouse for dinner the night before the interviews. I had 3 interviews the following day which lasted around 45 min each. After that they showed me around one of the buildings. The interviews were all behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where a project was completed mostly because of your effort.   Answer Question