Caterpillar

Relevance Date Difficulty

Process Engineering Supervisor Interview

Process Engineering Supervisor
Peoria, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in February 2012.

Interview Details – Began with email communication with human resources. This was followed by a phone interview. There was then a first and second interview about 3 weeks apart. Overall a great process as they always kept me informed on the status.

Interview Question – If you could live anywhere in the world where would you live?   Answer Question

Global Purchasing Interview

Global Purchasing
Peoria, IL

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Caterpillar in May 2014.

Interview Details – Interview was quick and in depth. Hiring manager asked about my past job experience and what qualities I have that would work well in this job. I was also asked about my individual characteristics that would make me a good fit for this company.

Interview Question – Describe a time when I did not work well with someone and how did I handle that?   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview Details – Apply online after career fair and had a face to face interview at my school 3 days later. Heard back with an email offer within 2 months. Was required to maintain a certain GPA until the start of the internship.

Interview Question – Tell me about a difficult problem or situation you were faced with and how you solved it.   Answer Question

College Student Practicum Interview

College Student Practicum
Champaign, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Caterpillar in April 2014.

Interview Details – Two persons interviewed and behavior questions only. All questions are STAR style. People are very nice.

Interview Question – When do you think you behaved over-qualified or under-qualified?   Answer Question

IT Analyst Interview

IT Analyst
Morton, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Caterpillar in April 2011.

Interview Details – Panel of 3 hiring managers asked about 30 minutes or so of questions. It was mostly behavioral, STAR questions and a few questions about what technologies I was familiar with. Just come up with a few situations, especially difficult, from your past experiences and consider how you handled them and took accountability while also showcasing your technical abilities and how you satisfy the job requirements. It seemed like they had already pretty much decided to hire me when I arrived. I received a tour and drug screening on-site just prior to the interview.

Interview Question – All pretty easy questions about my limited past professional experience since I was a college recruit.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was a very competitive offer for someone straight out of college. I did not even consider negotiation at the time.

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Manufacturing Engineer
Normal, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in July 2010.

Interview Details – Single phone interview due to my remote location. Interviewed by two people. Both were very knowledgeable and understood the job requirements. Described the responsibilities and expectations of the position accurately. Spent time discussing how I would interact with the project team and asked for examples of my presentation and training skills and background. Asked questions that were directly related to my ability to execute the technical portion of the job.

Interview Question – Can't remember any. All questions were directly related to the job description.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was minimal once it was determined that I fit the requirements. This was a contract position. Negotiation was focused on the minimum acceptable to close the deal for both parties.

Accounting Intern Interview

Accounting Intern
Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in October 2012.

Interview Details – Their hiring process involved three interviews with different levels of accountants within the organization. It was a typical scenario based questions interview with nothing unexpected.

Interview Question – There were no particularly difficult questions.   Answer Question

Packaging Engineer Interview

Packaging Engineer
Morton, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Caterpillar in February 2011.

Interview Details – Originally interviewed at college job fair. Received a call back and interviewed on site. All questions were targeted selection situational questions. Interviewed with 3 different managers for 3 different jobs that were available within the packaging group.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you were not equipped to complete a task and how you went about doing so.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate

Summer Intern FEA Interview

Summer Intern FEA
Champaign, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2013.

Interview Details – Career Fair, then on-site interview at Research Park

Interview Questions

Process Control Engineer Interview

Process Control Engineer
Peoria, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Caterpillar in December 2011.

Interview Details – Communication was intermittent. I had initial interviews then a six week gap before a follow-up. After the second interview the offer came by phone within 12 hours.

Interview Question – It was a very standard interview. The must difficult part was the second round. The interviews poor english skills make communication troublesome. Caterpillar uses the STAR format for interview questions and if you deviate from the formate the interviewer will ask you to get back on the track. Two of the three interviewers had english as a second language and were ill-prepared for the interviews. This was very unexpected after the highly polished initial interviews with junior managers who had prepared in depth for the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

Worked for Caterpillar? Contribute to the Community!