Caterpillar Interview Questions in Illinois

Updated Apr 22, 2015

Powertrain - Lab Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Met with the Powertrain division manager first, then went over resume with both him and another manager from the division. After the briefing, we looked through the lab and I was quizzed on things I ought to know for the job. Lots of exposure to where I would work and letting me know what I'd need to do

Interview Questions

• How would you get rotation speed data on a gear shaft?   Answer Question

Human Resources/IR Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

First apply online with resume and cover letter, then I received an email that invite me for a phone interview. The phone interview lasts one hour, there are two interviewers on the phone, and most questions are behavioral questions and situational questions. They didn't ask questions about my resume. Use STAR (situation, target, action, result) method to answer questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the hardest technic project you ever did, and what's the result?   Answer Question

College Practicum: IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Two 30 minute behavioral interviews, they read questions from a packet. The questions were almost all about situations that you've been in, and how did act in the situation, and what were the results of the situation. The interviewers were very friendly and tried to make me feel more comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you made a bad decision, and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was pretty typical. It was a behavioral interview so the questions were typically situation based and I was told to answer based on previous experience. The toughest part was their STAR structure which they are pretty strict on. They fill out a form as you answer their questions so your best bet is to say what is going to look best on that paper.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

Started with an interview at my university, then got invited for a final round, on-site interview in Peoria. I had to call their travel agency to choose my own dates of travel (all covered by CAT).

You will get paired up with a host, an employee who has nothing to do with you getting hired or not. He took me and another candidate out to dinner the night I flew in. The next morning was interview day.

We get to one of their many buildings in Peoria (not HQ), and sit in on a briefing about the company and what they do. This was self-explanatory. A couple of the hosts got to share their experiences in the entry-level leadership development program.

Then it was on to three hours of interviews. All STARs questions. 3 hours. of STARs. I didn't think they made that many textbook, cookie-cutter questions, but apparently they do. You will get sick of answering them; I did. I like to think of myself as an overachiever, as if I've accomplished a lot outside of just schoolwork in my time at university. It seemed as if none of this really impressed them. I got a VERY old-school vibe from a lot of them.

First interviewer, engine guy. Old school guy, was asking somewhat dumb questions about previous projects (i.e. have I ever used 3D printing, which is pretty standard now). Could tell he knew a lot about diesel engines, not much else. Managerial level.

Second interviewer didn't even start with an intro, just fired away at STARs questions on his piece of paper. He asked if I had any questions at the end, to which I had to reply, "what do you do?" He was surprised he forgot to do introductions. Managerial level.

Third and final interviewer finally strayed a bit from the STARs questions, wanted to see if I would be a good fit for the company/Peoria. He was my favorite interviewer, and he asked the unexpected question below. I think after talking to him, he and I both realized I may not be a good fit for the company. Managerial level.

Throughout the interview process there were snacks and a 10 minute break between each interview.

Afterwards, they had "goodie bags" for us, a sling backpack with some pens/foam tractor/notebook/ etc... Then it was off to lunch at the cafeteria at CAT. All I'll say is, try to eat a large breakfast; lunch was not very good there.

Over lunch I realized that we weren't actually seeing any of the awesome development that CAT does, but instead seeing the things we were "allowed" to see. This frustrated me, because I wanted to see all that the company had to offer.

After lunch there was a presentation about benefits, followed by a trip to the tractor assembly plant down the road. We took a tour, it was okay; just assembling pretty big machinery. By assembling, I mean it was just blue collar workers bolting parts on; no parts were being manufactured/tested/autonomously assembled here. Wasn't actually cool until we saw one of them driving around. The tour was way longer than it needed/was scheduled to be (they showed us where/how new line workers get trained...), and I nearly missed my flight home because of that.

Overall okay experience, STARs questions got tedious. Would have liked to have seen more of the amazing development this company does, but instead only saw an assembly line which wasn't very active.

Web Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process consisted of targeted selection questions. There were three managers on the panel that asked me separate questions and I had to answer them in three stages. What did you do, How did you go about solving the problem/issue, and what was the result. They try to see who you really are and how you handle things by using this type of interview process. It is a very good process.

IT Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied through college and the companies website. The process took approximately 4 weeks. My first behavioral interview was in campus, which was followed by second interview in Peoria. The company flies you to Peoria, IL and provides you with nice accommodation. The interview is behavioral interview and you will be interviewed by 3 hiring managers. If you prepare and remember the STAR method then you are good : )

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to review several proposals and make a recommendation. What factors did you consider in your analysis?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The first offer was very competitive and I did not need to negotiate

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

Apply online after career fair and had a face to face interview at my school 3 days later. Heard back with an email offer within 2 months. Was required to maintain a certain GPA until the start of the internship.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult problem or situation you were faced with and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Global Purchasing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

Interview was quick and in depth. Hiring manager asked about my past job experience and what qualities I have that would work well in this job. I was also asked about my individual characteristics that would make me a good fit for this company.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when I did not work well with someone and how did I handle that?   Answer Question

College Student Practicum Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in April 2014.

Interview

Two persons interviewed and behavior questions only. All questions are STAR style. People are very nice.

Interview Questions

• When do you think you behaved over-qualified or under-qualified?   Answer Question