Caterpillar

Getting the Interview

234 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview Details – Job fair, invited to interview three days later. Interviewed twice with two different people on the same day. The whole interview process lasted an hour and a half and was given a tour the next day. Notification of job offer next day. Contacted by HR within three days of interview

Interview Question – Give an example of a time you persuaded a team member to agree to your idea and whether it worked or not.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Lafayette, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Caterpillar in September 2010.

Interview Details – Star ( process situation/task, action, result). It helps to just think of telling a story of a project from completion to end.

Interview Question – Tell us a time when you failed at something   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to get anything more out of them. Of course the offer was far and above my current salary so I can't complain.

Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in October 2012.

Interview Details – Their hiring process involved three interviews with different levels of accountants within the organization. It was a typical scenario based questions interview with nothing unexpected.

Interview Question – There were no particularly difficult questions.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

CNC Machinist Interview

Lafayette, IN

I applied online and interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview Details – initial basic math testing, then two STAR method interviews

Interview Question – typical STAR method questions   Answer Question

Senior Associate Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed on campus for engineering rotation program. After discussing my education, background and aspirations the interviewer told me I likely wouldn't be a good fit in product engineering but an ideal candidate for R&D at Tech Center and he'd forward my credentials. Nothing came of that but I was extended an on site interview with the product team at their division offices. On site interviews were 3 separate 1-2-1 sessions with different managers. All STAR based (e.g. Tell me a time would worked on a project with a difficult team member and how you handled the situation, Tell me a time you had to learn a new skill quickly, etc.). Was offered the position the following day with a very competitive salary and relocation package.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected. Just prepare for STAR method interviews and know your resume.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

Interviewed at Caterpillar

Interview Details – They'll ask you a series of questions about situations you've encountered in the past and how you reacted.

Interview Question – Questions about your work ethic.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2014.

Interview Details – I came early to ensure I could get there even if I got lost. I was told to take a seat, and based off of how people came into work (it was an early interview, so people were still arriving) it seems like a nice place to work with lots of nice people. Since I was there early, I actually interviewed earlier than expected, which was fine. It was not a technical interview, just an hour or so worth of non-technical questions. I had two interviews. Both interviewers were quite nice and easy to talk with, and the questions were clear (not ambiguous). After being asked questions for a while, I was given the chance to ask them questions. Overall it was a good experience. I have not yet received an offer, but it hasn't been very long yet.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you were leading a project and one of the members dominated the conversation. What did you do to help mitigate this?   Answer Question

Accounting Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview Details – Campus career fair is a must, then a series of two back to back, behavioral based interviews.

Interview Question – All questions were behavior based. As for any interview, be sure to have enough questions to ask at the end.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. They base intern pay off how much college completion.

Accounting Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview Details – I got in through campus recruiting. They came in and did the first round - 2 30-min interviews back to back. I got the offer soon afterwards.

Interview Question – Don't remember - it wasn't too bad. behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Packaging Engineer Interview

Morton, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Caterpillar in February 2011.

Interview Details – Originally interviewed at college job fair. Received a call back and interviewed on site. All questions were targeted selection situational questions. Interviewed with 3 different managers for 3 different jobs that were available within the packaging group.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you were not equipped to complete a task and how you went about doing so.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate

Interviews for Top Jobs at Caterpillar

Worked for Caterpillar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Caterpillar interview questions and advice. All 234 interview reviews posted anonymously by Caterpillar employees and interview candidates.