Caterpillar

Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

Intern - Hourly Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

I applied online and received a phone call about a month later to come onsite for the interview. The interview was with two hiring managers. They followed the STAR format. The interview itself was fairly informal and there was a good amount of conversation going on. I felt very relaxed and comfortable.

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Caterpillar.

It is just an hour interview.The panel contains 3 members. I went through a recruiter. He does the background check. The interviewer is mostly interested in projects and the skill set. He gave a job description for the first 15 minutes followed by a few questions in my projects and then by behavioral HR questions.

Graduate Development Program Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Caterpillar.

On phone screening, whole day in person interviews. In person interviews were one on one. These interviews vary from technical, behavioral and personal background / fit with the company culture. Fit with the company culture is a very big part of the interviews so it is very very important to make sure that you just be who you are instead of trying to figure out what they want to hear. Technical interview can be pretty technical too and most of the interviewers are looking for how well you can work and know what you know instead of trying to make sure you know everything already.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions asking for examples or situations. Behavioral questions such as tell me a situation when you had a difficult colleague and how did you handle that situation can be very difficult because you have to go into the detail of the situation. Just take your time to thinking through a whole situation and then answer instead of start answering and then fumbling through the whole answer.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate at all but there may be opportunities for negotiations in some situations.

Material Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Series of interviews along with agility testing and probationary period before becoming a full time Cat employee. I worked consistently and diligently and was offered full time position within 90 days.

Interview Questions
    was offered second shift and declined then offered third shift and I accepted.

Distribution Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

I applied online and received an email response to speak to someone on the phone. We spoke briefly for a few minutes about expectations, why I applied and availability for a phone interview since I was not in the area at the time. I interviewed with a panel of 3 people over the phone two weeks later. Then two weeks afterwards I was invited to do a site visit, after the site visit an offer was made for the role.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell me a time when you disagreed with your supervisor?
      Please tell me about a time you engage employees to get improve results.

Answer Question

Technical Marketing Interview

Met them at a career fair, applied through my school and on their site. I went to the interview about 2 weeks later. The interview was behavioral. It was fairly easy, but I still didn't receive an offer.

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

I talked to a rep at a career fair and she told me to apply online. After applying online, I heard back in a couple weeks and had an in person interview. I was interviewed by two people for a half hour each. After another couple weeks, they called me to tell me that they are pursuing other options.

Staff Accountant Interview

I got an interview through school. Most of the questions were simple behavioral questions and the interview lasted about 30 mins. My interviewer was really nice and he talked proudly about his company. After the interview, i asked for a business card. He further advised me that I should hear back from the company in 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had difficulty working in a group. What was the difficulty? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

IT Analyst I Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Began the hiring process with a half-hour phone interview. Was then invited to Peoria for the next round. This round consisted of 3 1-hour long interviews. Received an offer within the next week.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't really any difficult questions. All questions were of the expected type and not to terribly hard to answer.   Answer Question

Logistics Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar.

I first met them at my university's career fair. A few weeks later I interviewed with two people. The questions were fairly unremarkable - tell us about at time you worked as a team, tell us about a time that you had to ask for help, etc. Later that year, I got an offer for a summer internship.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing overly complex - just a general behavorial interview.   Answer Question