Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

Human Resources Representative I Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

One panel interview. You needed specific examples to go with their behavioral interview questions. You must prepare for this interview! For example, tell me about a time when you ran a successful project.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you successfully worked on a team and completed the goals.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't consider negotiation.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (South Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

STAR BASIS INTERVIEW. Question 1: Tell me about yourself? Question 2: What are your biggest strengths? Question 3: Why did you leave your last job? Question 4: What are your career goals? Question 5: Why do you want to work here? Question 6: What is your greatest weakness? Question 7: What do co-workers say about you? Question 8: Are you applying for other jobs?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Have to Negotiate to achieve good package. If not you will loose...

IT Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (East Peoria, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

You interview with three supervisor level employers. Two are from non-related fields and one from your field. The interviews are three one hour back to back interviews. They all follow the same flow and the questions are a bit different. Don't use the same example for the same interview but you can make them the same between different. The interviewers independently provide "marks" rating your interview. Then someone else sits down with the interviewers and picks the ones with the highest marks and chooses the person based on fit.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation(s) where something went wrong and what did you do about it   1 Answer

Negotiation

My offer was take it or leave it college recruitment.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Decatur, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Decatur, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Panel interview with 3 people. The hiring manager and 2 others. "Give me an example" type questions. Very long and very serious, many follow up questions and not much to break up the tension. One personal question. I had worked contract for CAT and had emailed the hiring manager my resume as well as applied online. He had spoke to my then current manager about me on the phone.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when safety was a large concern in a project.   Answer Question
    • What are the easiest and hardest things you noticed when starting your last new job?   Answer Question

Traffic Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

I had an online test at Snelling Staffing for this position. Then an interview with potential lead, supervisor, and his boss. Then a drug test. Pretty straightforward. In fact I don't even remenber what was discussed. Caterpillar Corporate contacted me with the offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I got offered the bottom pay for the salary grade range.

Engineer - Test/Validation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview followed STAR format. You'll be asked an open ended question and expected to include in your answer Situation, Task, Action, Resolution or near enough so that the interviewer can take the appropriate notes. This is the standard interview format for CAT. There were three separate one hour interviews done back to back to back. Many of the questions are vague and similar or I ended up answering different questions similarly. It's ok to reuse stories for different interviewers, but don't change the story. They will compare notes afterwards and that'll make you look untrustworthy. Best way to prepare is to look up sample questions and come up with some stories. I don't think they asked me any of the sample questions I prepared for, but I had stories ready to go. The worst thing you could is not have an answer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you didn't get along with a coworker.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when the task you were given had unexpected challenges.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Offer was formally given 11 days after the interview. You are allowed to negotiate, however as I countered, I was given the impression that there would not be a much higher off than the one given. Regardless, they bump it up slightly and added a healthy sign on bonus when I requested it.

Nurse Interview

Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Joliet, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

I received a phone call from an external company. Upon calling them back the position was for a nurse in the Pontiac area for CAT. I spoke at length with the interviewer and answered multiple questions. He had requested my permission for a background check and nursing information. I gave the verbal permission and then he emailed the remainder to my email. I had received the information via email. I filled out the info and emailed back to him.

Interview Questions

• How do you work under pressure?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

The interview will be completed by three current employees. Usually one is your boss, a fellow coworker and another manager that reports to the same general manager as your boss. The questions follow the SMART format, situation, measurable action, results and time. Each individual rates your score basically from a 1-5. After the interview, they make a consensus to determine what your overall score should be. Best overall score would either be offered the job or the top candidates might go through a second round interview.

Interview Questions

• Tells us about a time you had to lead a team through a difficult task.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Had one on one with three different managers.one hour of interview with each one of them.Moslty S.T.A.R. Questions. Hiring process is slow.took me almost 3 months before I got an offer. Technical questions.

Technical Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

2 30 minutes behavior interviews by two different HR people. I really don't understand why we need to be asked so many behavior questions. They didn't even ask you to introduce yourself or why you want this job.