Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

CNC Machinist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar (Thomasville, GA).

Interview

Submitted an application and heard back from them a few months later to come in for an interview. At the interview, I went in and was seated before 5 people and was different questions and was then allowed to ask questions. It was intended to be a difficult interview, I guess to see how you were under pressure.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about something related to safety that you did to make your workplace safer?   1 Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Very easy. One hour long, 30 minutes per person. Behavioral style questions. I found otu i had an interview withing one week of applying. The following week I had my interview and then by the end of the week I had a job offer. Very quick and easy interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a recent decision you made?   1 Answer

Senior Research/Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

50minutes interview, traditional STAR formation. The hiring manager also asked about my past experience. Not too many technical questions though. I think they are more willing to take team players.

Interview Questions

• tell me a time when you learned a new skill and applied it later   Answer Question

Technical Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Typical STAR questions. Interviewed with two separate people, each for a half hour. Asked me lots of questions about my work experiences, along with lots of leadership questions. Both people were very easy to interview with. I was told I would hear back about the position within a week. It has been two weeks and I have still not heard from either people.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to step up and be a leader?
      Describe a time you felt overwhelmed with work, and how did you handle it?
      Describe a time you worked as a part of a team to solve a problem?
      What is the most difficult assignment (school or work) that you've ever had to deal with?

Answer Question

Powertrain - Lab Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Met with the Powertrain division manager first, then went over resume with both him and another manager from the division. After the briefing, we looked through the lab and I was quizzed on things I ought to know for the job. Lots of exposure to where I would work and letting me know what I'd need to do

Interview Questions

• How would you get rotation speed data on a gear shaft?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. I went through a panel interview. They introduced themselves and told me their background. We went over my resume and then started with the behavioral questions. I asked 5-7 questions to the panel afterward.

I would definitely not go into this interview without doing research first. I sent time looking up the STAR method since it was my first behavior interview and a few hours going over possible questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how people you work with have gained trust and respect for you.   Answer Question

Human Resources/IR Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

First apply online with resume and cover letter, then I received an email that invite me for a phone interview. The phone interview lasts one hour, there are two interviewers on the phone, and most questions are behavioral questions and situational questions. They didn't ask questions about my resume. Use STAR (situation, target, action, result) method to answer questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the hardest technic project you ever did, and what's the result?   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call about a month later to come onsite for the interview. The interview was with two hiring managers. They followed the STAR format. The interview itself was fairly informal and there was a good amount of conversation going on. I felt very relaxed and comfortable.

College Practicum: IT Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Two 30 minute behavioral interviews, they read questions from a packet. The questions were almost all about situations that you've been in, and how did act in the situation, and what were the results of the situation. The interviewers were very friendly and tried to make me feel more comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you made a bad decision, and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question

IT Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was pretty typical. It was a behavioral interview so the questions were typically situation based and I was told to answer based on previous experience. The toughest part was their STAR structure which they are pretty strict on. They fill out a form as you answer their questions so your best bet is to say what is going to look best on that paper.