Caterpillar

Average Difficulty
249 candidate interviews

Operations Supervisor Interview

Operations Supervisor

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in January 2010.

Interview Details – I was already an employee. Cat can be hard to get in from the outside. They do situational interviews but they look internally first before they look outside the company. Many of the mid-career guys know tons of people so much of the process is calling or emailing personal networks for candidates. There is also another system to identify internal candidates. Once again very hard for external candidates to get into Cat. Your resume must be impeccable and then you will need to learn the large volume of initiatives quickly to last.

Interview Question – Name a time when you: from here it ranged from handling difficult employees to delivering bad news to groups of people while finding ways to motivate them.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none. Pay based on salary grades. Much of this is set up by corporate and they had put a freeze on raises, limits on promotions. Increases within salary grades by experience and performance.

Metallurgical Engineer Interview

Metallurgical Engineer
East Peoria, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in June 2011.

Interview Details – I despise the CAT interview process. They require you to go out to dinner the night before the interview to grill you about your personal life ad nauseam. I clearly marked on the online application that I could not do greater than 25% travel, and they informed me AT THE PLANT on the day of the interview that the actual travel requirement for the job is 50%. Eat dirt.

Interview Question – Do you have any kids?   View Answers (2)

Sales Interview

Sales
Miami, FL

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Caterpillar in September 2010.

Interview Details – I had a first interview at a campus career fair, then I took a personality test and then a interview with Gallup

Interview Question – What motivates me/ what drives me/ Sense of purpose   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in May 2011.

Interview Details – 3 technical and 5 manager rounds

Negotiation Details – Not negotiated.They have given good salary

Supply Chain Planning Engineer ( SAP IM WM ) Interview

Supply Chain Planning Engineer ( SAP IM WM )
East Peoria, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview Details – Very smooth Interview and hiring process,
Phone Interview with 6 professional interviewers for technical round, which lasted for over an hour. Got invitation to attend face to face interview with 3 managers for 1 hour each. CAT paid for flight+hotel+meals plus excellent dinner with hiring manager the night before interview.

Technical Round:
it was challenging round, dealing with 6 experienced interviewers at a time is a daunting task for any field, cleared with excellent impression. ( Dont even think about proxy Interviews, you will be caught during face to face interview, because management is already aware of it, have seen candidates being turned away because of it )

Face to Face Interview:
All the questions were STAR type ( Expect technical questions as well), if you have past experience in your field, interview will be smooth like butter.

CAT is really tough on safety, so expect question on safety from your previous experience.

Interview Question – tell me about a situation when you had to think out of the box. how did you handle it and what was the outcome.
Tell me of a situation when you had to work on safety incident, what was the incident and what was your involvement in providing solution and how it turned out.
And loads of technical questions regarding SAP Processes.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was handsome.

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Chennai (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in April 2012.

Interview Details – shortlisted from aptitude test and then conducted interview..the team for recruitment process shortlisted people who dint take part in aptitude test also.

Interview Question – why did u chose this company   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Houghton, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in October 2011.

Interview Details – Interviews were conducted on short notice following a college career fair.
2 1-hour long interviews were conducted and I was notified of my offer within 2 weeks.
I had 1 week to accept my offer and schedule a drug test (urine sample).

Interview Question – They followed the STAR (Situation-Task-Action-Response) Interview style - be ready to think outside of the box   Answer Question

Experienced Buyer Interview

Experienced Buyer
Mossville, IL

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Caterpillar in February 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process was excellent, everyone from the receptionist to the interviewers made me feel right at home.

Interview Question – there were no real difficult questions, the unexpected question was how to deal with a situation that you inherit from your predecessor.   View Answer

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in August 2009.

Interview Details – Started as an intern, worked my butt off and got hired at the end of the summer. Interview was a day long with 3 separate people. It was intense, but was more laid back because I had met everyone during my internship and could refer to familiar experiences.

Interview Question – It's all experience-based questions... "Tell me about a time when_____." Fill in the blank. These are like "when someone on your team wasn't pulling his weight." or "when you had to solve a problem given limited time/information." You are expected to recall such an experience and give a reasoned response in how you solved the problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation. I was happy with the initial offer as it was my first job out of engineering school.

Accounting Intern Interview

Accounting Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview Details – two interviews, one with accounting manager, and another with accounting supervisor

Interview Question – tell me about your most difficult working relationship and how did you deal with it.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Caterpillar

Worked for Caterpillar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Caterpillar interview questions and advice. All 249 interview reviews posted anonymously by Caterpillar employees and interview candidates.