Caterpillar Interview Questions & Reviews

256 interviews

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Caterpillar in September 2010.

I had a first interview at a campus career fair, then I took a personality test and then a interview with Gallup

Metallurgical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  East Peoria, IL
    Anonymous Employee in East Peoria, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in June 2011.

I despise the CAT interview process. They require you to go out to dinner the night before the interview to grill you about your personal life ad nauseam. I clearly marked on the online application that I could not do greater than 25% travel, and they informed me AT THE PLANT on the day of the interview that the actual travel requirement for the job is 50%. Eat dirt.

Supply Chain Planning Engineer ( SAP IM WM ) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  East Peoria, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Peoria, IL

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar.

Very smooth Interview and hiring process,
    Phone Interview with 6 professional interviewers for technical round, which lasted for over an hour. Got invitation to attend face to face interview with 3 managers for 1 hour each. CAT paid for flight+hotel+meals plus excellent dinner with hiring manager the night before interview.

Technical Round:
    it was challenging round, dealing with 6 experienced interviewers at a time is a daunting task for any field, cleared with excellent impression. ( Dont even think about proxy Interviews, you will be caught during face to face interview, because management is already aware of it, have seen candidates being turned away because of it )

Face to Face Interview:
    All the questions were STAR type ( Expect technical questions as well), if you have past experience in your field, interview will be smooth like butter.

CAT is really tough on safety, so expect question on safety from your previous experience.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a situation when you had to think out of the box. how did you handle it and what was the outcome.
      Tell me of a situation when you had to work on safety incident, what was the incident and what was your involvement in providing solution and how it turned out.
      And loads of technical questions regarding SAP Processes.
        Answer Question
    Offer was handsome.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in May 2011.

3 technical and 5 manager rounds

Not negotiated.They have given good salary

Operations Supervisor Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in January 2010.

I was already an employee. Cat can be hard to get in from the outside. They do situational interviews but they look internally first before they look outside the company. Many of the mid-career guys know tons of people so much of the process is calling or emailing personal networks for candidates. There is also another system to identify internal candidates. Once again very hard for external candidates to get into Cat. Your resume must be impeccable and then you will need to learn the large volume of initiatives quickly to last.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you: from here it ranged from handling difficult employees to delivering bad news to groups of people while finding ways to motivate them.   View Answer
    There was none. Pay based on salary grades. Much of this is set up by corporate and they had put a freeze on raises, limits on promotions. Increases within salary grades by experience and performance.

Accounting Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2011.

I was accepted for an interview after having applied online for an internship position. The interview consisted of two 1 on 1 half hour interviews back to back. Every question they asked were basic behavioral questions like "tell me a time when you failed, and how did you respond" which are not that difficult if you do a little preparation beforehand, and review your own recent experiences. However, some questions you might not have specific examples for which is okay, but they just want to see how you can handle yourself in that situation. I was asked maybe a total of 8 behavioral questions, a couple of which I didn't have specific examples for, and was given time to ask my own questions.

Interview Questions
    A week after my interview I received a phone call offering me a position, and they emailed me all the details and I accepted. If you receive an offer I would definitely take it. Being accepted by such a big name like Caterpillar is definitely a great career move since having CAT on your resume is invaluable. Besides, they offer competitive pay and benefits so there really is no reason not to accept.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Peoria, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Caterpillar in June 2012.

A third party recruiter contacted me after finding my resume on Monster. She sent my resume to Caterpillar. They then had me apply to the position online. The next week they scheduled a phone interview. The interview lasted about 30 minutes. The Caterpillar representitive called me back about an hour later to schedule a face to face interview. They paid for everything including the flight, hotel etcetera. They took me out to dinner the night before at a nice restaurant and paid for breakfast and lunch the next day at their corporate cafeteria. The interview process started at 8:00. i was required to give a short presentation on my resume. This was followed with three consecutive hour long interviews, lunch, a drug test, and then a tour of one of the plants. At the end of the day you sit down for your final interview with Human Resources.

Interview Questions
    In my case no negogiation was required. I was satisfied with their initial offer. It was very generous considering the cost of living in central illinois with an exceptional benefits package. The total package was very competitive with my offers in areas with a much higher cost of living.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 10 months - interviewed at Caterpillar in August 2011.

Three stage process with a focus on product knowledge. A lot of the interview was related to emotional quotient more than iq. typical interview would be atleast three rounds all involving a panel comprising of different specialized people and from various types of dept. levels were tough so was the whole process tiring

Interview Questions
    • how do handle a customer who hates you but you still have to sell your services   Answer Question

Lead Logistics Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Aurora, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Caterpillar in July 2008.

Submit a skills matrix as well as a resume. Be patient, the entire process could take a few months from the initial submission, then phone interview, thorough background check including birth certificate and transcripts of grades. Plan an all day interview process which will include a facility tour, multiple interviews, and drug testing.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you disagreed with an order from your superior. What did you do? What was the outcome?   Answer Question
    Negotiate salary as well as vacation time.

Business Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Peoria, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar.

Several steps. First, a couple of recruiting agency telephone interviews and personal information gathering (resume, id, etc). This is reviewed by a Cat HR team. If they like the candidate, a telephone interview follows which MAY conclude with an invite to formally interview at HQ. Interview day is looooooong. One night prior to interviewing, the candidate has dinner with an assigned host to get a sense of what will be coming next morning. Next day starts with a quick breakfast and last minute questions. Then, the candidate is up, presenting in front of a panel of three Cat execs. This step consists of a personal presentation of the candidates background and work experience. Time is tightly measured and sharp communication skills are expected. They will look for the ability to get to the point quickly while being able to convey the message. Then, three back to back 1 hour interviews will follow. The STAR method is applied in these sessions. Research how this method works because interviewers will expect responses based on this methodology. In a nutshell, a full-day interview at CAT corporate offices consists of three interviews, lunch, a tour of the facility, and a short presentation.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the time when you led a project that had a company-wide effect?   Answer Question
    Positive for both sides.

Worked for Caterpillar? Contribute to the Community!