Caterpillar

Average Difficulty
253 candidate interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in May 2011.

Interview Details – 3 technical and 5 manager rounds

Negotiation Details – Not negotiated.They have given good salary

Sales Interview

Sales
Miami, FL

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Caterpillar in September 2010.

Interview Details – I had a first interview at a campus career fair, then I took a personality test and then a interview with Gallup

Interview Question – What motivates me/ what drives me/ Sense of purpose   Answer Question

Operations Supervisor Interview

Operations Supervisor

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in January 2010.

Interview Details – I was already an employee. Cat can be hard to get in from the outside. They do situational interviews but they look internally first before they look outside the company. Many of the mid-career guys know tons of people so much of the process is calling or emailing personal networks for candidates. There is also another system to identify internal candidates. Once again very hard for external candidates to get into Cat. Your resume must be impeccable and then you will need to learn the large volume of initiatives quickly to last.

Interview Question – Name a time when you: from here it ranged from handling difficult employees to delivering bad news to groups of people while finding ways to motivate them.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none. Pay based on salary grades. Much of this is set up by corporate and they had put a freeze on raises, limits on promotions. Increases within salary grades by experience and performance.

Metallurgical Engineer Interview

Metallurgical Engineer
East Peoria, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in June 2011.

Interview Details – I despise the CAT interview process. They require you to go out to dinner the night before the interview to grill you about your personal life ad nauseam. I clearly marked on the online application that I could not do greater than 25% travel, and they informed me AT THE PLANT on the day of the interview that the actual travel requirement for the job is 50%. Eat dirt.

Interview Question – Do you have any kids?   View Answers (2)

Supply Chain Planning Engineer ( SAP IM WM ) Interview

Supply Chain Planning Engineer ( SAP IM WM )
East Peoria, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview Details – Very smooth Interview and hiring process,
Phone Interview with 6 professional interviewers for technical round, which lasted for over an hour. Got invitation to attend face to face interview with 3 managers for 1 hour each. CAT paid for flight+hotel+meals plus excellent dinner with hiring manager the night before interview.

Technical Round:
it was challenging round, dealing with 6 experienced interviewers at a time is a daunting task for any field, cleared with excellent impression. ( Dont even think about proxy Interviews, you will be caught during face to face interview, because management is already aware of it, have seen candidates being turned away because of it )

Face to Face Interview:
All the questions were STAR type ( Expect technical questions as well), if you have past experience in your field, interview will be smooth like butter.

CAT is really tough on safety, so expect question on safety from your previous experience.

Interview Question – tell me about a situation when you had to think out of the box. how did you handle it and what was the outcome.
Tell me of a situation when you had to work on safety incident, what was the incident and what was your involvement in providing solution and how it turned out.
And loads of technical questions regarding SAP Processes.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was handsome.

PGDM Interview

PGDM

The process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in February 2012.

Interview Details – At first, we were allowed to enter the Hotel(KENILWORTH HOTEL KOLKATA) where the Interview would be organised.
Then after we had WAT ( written assesment test)
after that we were divided into different groups according to which we were to face the pannels.
there were 4 pannels in that day.
Interview began and the questions asked were:-
1) tell me about yourself ( told about myself"intro" and place were i belonged, try to take as much time as you can min 3 to 5 min)
2) some questions regarding your native place ( be well known about your place)
3) academics related questions ( why did you get less marks, why engg/medical)
4) subject related ) if you are chemical engg then related to chemical.... eg what is diff between chemistry and chemical engg?)
5) something to test your management skills

just one note:- be bold enough while facing interview because one of the member was continously trying to confuse me with my answers.

Interview Questions

• What is difference between Chemistry and Chemical engineering?   View Answer
  • Asked a hell lot about the place you live.   View Answer

Experienced Buyer Interview

Experienced Buyer
Mossville, IL

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Caterpillar in February 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process was excellent, everyone from the receptionist to the interviewers made me feel right at home.

Interview Question – there were no real difficult questions, the unexpected question was how to deal with a situation that you inherit from your predecessor.   View Answer

Business Analyst II Interview

Business Analyst II
Peoria, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview Details – Several steps. First, a couple of recruiting agency telephone interviews and personal information gathering (resume, id, etc). This is reviewed by a Cat HR team. If they like the candidate, a telephone interview follows which MAY conclude with an invite to formally interview at HQ. Interview day is looooooong. One night prior to interviewing, the candidate has dinner with an assigned host to get a sense of what will be coming next morning. Next day starts with a quick breakfast and last minute questions. Then, the candidate is up, presenting in front of a panel of three Cat execs. This step consists of a personal presentation of the candidates background and work experience. Time is tightly measured and sharp communication skills are expected. They will look for the ability to get to the point quickly while being able to convey the message. Then, three back to back 1 hour interviews will follow. The STAR method is applied in these sessions. Research how this method works because interviewers will expect responses based on this methodology. In a nutshell, a full-day interview at CAT corporate offices consists of three interviews, lunch, a tour of the facility, and a short presentation.

Interview Question – Tell me about the time when you led a project that had a company-wide effect?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Positive for both sides.

MPDP Interview

MPDP
Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2007.

Interview Details – Tough.
1) screen interview 1:1
2)Phone interview / personality test
3)3 person panel 3hrs!

They don't let you know for months whether you were accepted or not!

Its a lot of work for nothing, and I interview for 3 different positions. I was qualified for all of them too. I guess there must have been someone more qualified I guess.

Interview Question – What leadership positions have you held at work or other organizations?   View Answers (2)

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Manufacturing Engineer
Rhinelander, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in January 2014.

Interview Details – Went with the basic S.T.A.R method. That was the initial interview when arrived at the facility. All questions needed to be answered with S.T.A.R method. Rather impersonal and only worried about your supposed "skills" to answer the questions. It felt more one dimensional than anything.

Interview Question – None that you would not hear in a normal interview   Answer Question

Worked for Caterpillar? Contribute to the Community!