Caterpillar

251 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Caterpillar in April 2014.

Interview Details – Short phone screen with HR. Two one hour interviews with two different managers.

Interview Question – No technical, all behavioral.   Answer Question

IT Analyst Interview

IT Analyst
Morton, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Caterpillar in April 2011.

Interview Details – Panel of 3 hiring managers asked about 30 minutes or so of questions. It was mostly behavioral, STAR questions and a few questions about what technologies I was familiar with. Just come up with a few situations, especially difficult, from your past experiences and consider how you handled them and took accountability while also showcasing your technical abilities and how you satisfy the job requirements. It seemed like they had already pretty much decided to hire me when I arrived. I received a tour and drug screening on-site just prior to the interview.

Interview Question – All pretty easy questions about my limited past professional experience since I was a college recruit.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was a very competitive offer for someone straight out of college. I did not even consider negotiation at the time.

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Manufacturing Engineer
Normal, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in July 2010.

Interview Details – Single phone interview due to my remote location. Interviewed by two people. Both were very knowledgeable and understood the job requirements. Described the responsibilities and expectations of the position accurately. Spent time discussing how I would interact with the project team and asked for examples of my presentation and training skills and background. Asked questions that were directly related to my ability to execute the technical portion of the job.

Interview Question – Can't remember any. All questions were directly related to the job description.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was minimal once it was determined that I fit the requirements. This was a contract position. Negotiation was focused on the minimum acceptable to close the deal for both parties.

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Senior Design Engineer
Lafayette, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Caterpillar in September 2010.

Interview Details – Star ( process situation/task, action, result). It helps to just think of telling a story of a project from completion to end.

Interview Question – Tell us a time when you failed at something   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to get anything more out of them. Of course the offer was far and above my current salary so I can't complain.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview Details – Job fair, invited to interview three days later. Interviewed twice with two different people on the same day. The whole interview process lasted an hour and a half and was given a tour the next day. Notification of job offer next day. Contacted by HR within three days of interview

Interview Question – Give an example of a time you persuaded a team member to agree to your idea and whether it worked or not.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Accounting Intern Interview

Accounting Intern
Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in October 2012.

Interview Details – Their hiring process involved three interviews with different levels of accountants within the organization. It was a typical scenario based questions interview with nothing unexpected.

Interview Question – There were no particularly difficult questions.   Answer Question

CNC Machinist Interview

CNC Machinist
Lafayette, IN

I applied online and interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview Details – initial basic math testing, then two STAR method interviews

Interview Question – typical STAR method questions   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2014.

Interview Details – I came early to ensure I could get there even if I got lost. I was told to take a seat, and based off of how people came into work (it was an early interview, so people were still arriving) it seems like a nice place to work with lots of nice people. Since I was there early, I actually interviewed earlier than expected, which was fine. It was not a technical interview, just an hour or so worth of non-technical questions. I had two interviews. Both interviewers were quite nice and easy to talk with, and the questions were clear (not ambiguous). After being asked questions for a while, I was given the chance to ask them questions. Overall it was a good experience. I have not yet received an offer, but it hasn't been very long yet.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you were leading a project and one of the members dominated the conversation. What did you do to help mitigate this?   Answer Question

Senior Associate Engineer Interview

Senior Associate Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed on campus for engineering rotation program. After discussing my education, background and aspirations the interviewer told me I likely wouldn't be a good fit in product engineering but an ideal candidate for R&D at Tech Center and he'd forward my credentials. Nothing came of that but I was extended an on site interview with the product team at their division offices. On site interviews were 3 separate 1-2-1 sessions with different managers. All STAR based (e.g. Tell me a time would worked on a project with a difficult team member and how you handled the situation, Tell me a time you had to learn a new skill quickly, etc.). Was offered the position the following day with a very competitive salary and relocation package.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected. Just prepare for STAR method interviews and know your resume.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

Mechanical Engineering Intern

Interviewed at Caterpillar

Interview Details – They'll ask you a series of questions about situations you've encountered in the past and how you reacted.

Interview Question – Questions about your work ethic.   Answer Question