Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2015

Technical Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Typical STAR questions. Interviewed with two separate people, each for a half hour. Asked me lots of questions about my work experiences, along with lots of leadership questions. Both people were very easy to interview with. I was told I would hear back about the position within a week. It has been two weeks and I have still not heard from either people.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to step up and be a leader? Describe a time you felt overwhelmed with work, and how did you handle it? Describe a time you worked as a part of a team to solve a problem? What is the most difficult assignment (school or work) that you've ever had to deal with?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. I went through a panel interview. They introduced themselves and told me their background. We went over my resume and then started with the behavioral questions. I asked 5-7 questions to the panel afterward. I would definitely not go into this interview without doing research first. I sent time looking up the STAR method since it was my first behavior interview and a few hours going over possible questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how people you work with have gained trust and respect for you.   Answer Question

Powertrain - Lab Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Met with the Powertrain division manager first, then went over resume with both him and another manager from the division. After the briefing, we looked through the lab and I was quizzed on things I ought to know for the job. Lots of exposure to where I would work and letting me know what I'd need to do

Interview Questions

• How would you get rotation speed data on a gear shaft?   Answer Question

Corporate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a behavioral interview. The interviewers themselves told me to answer using the STAR method. Tell me about your team work experience. Tell me about a time when you faced tension

Human Resources/IR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

First apply online with resume and cover letter, then I received an email that invite me for a phone interview. The phone interview lasts one hour, there are two interviewers on the phone, and most questions are behavioral questions and situational questions. They didn't ask questions about my resume. Use STAR (situation, target, action, result) method to answer questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the hardest technic project you ever did, and what's the result?   Answer Question

Assembler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Athens, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

STAR technique was used in the interview with 2 of the managers. It took a good amount of time but it flowed well. The questions mainly related to safety and how you adjust to change. Also went over any manufacturing experiences and asked why I was interested in working for CAT.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call about a month later to come onsite for the interview. The interview was with two hiring managers. They followed the STAR format. The interview itself was fairly informal and there was a good amount of conversation going on. I felt very relaxed and comfortable.

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Normal, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Normal, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very fast. It was two 30 minute interviews with one different manager each. Some questions were not bad and some were hard. With each interview some questions were the same and some different. Both interviewers were very polite.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview for an IT security position was relatively relaxed. They asked about my experience running my home malware lab and a few other things on my resume. Very easy to talk to, no weird "big corporation" questions. They won't hire you if your GPA is below 3.0 though. My offer was rescinded after I told them my GPA>

Interview Questions

• Tell us about "xyz" on your resume. Then they'll ask you questions about your relevant experience.   Answer Question

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was pretty typical. It was a behavioral interview so the questions were typically situation based and I was told to answer based on previous experience. The toughest part was their STAR structure which they are pretty strict on. They fill out a form as you answer their questions so your best bet is to say what is going to look best on that paper.