Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014

CNC Machinist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lafayette, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, IN

I applied online - interviewed at Caterpillar.

initial basic math testing, then two STAR method interviews

Engineering Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2014.

I came early to ensure I could get there even if I got lost. I was told to take a seat, and based off of how people came into work (it was an early interview, so people were still arriving) it seems like a nice place to work with lots of nice people. Since I was there early, I actually interviewed earlier than expected, which was fine. It was not a technical interview, just an hour or so worth of non-technical questions. I had two interviews. Both interviewers were quite nice and easy to talk with, and the questions were clear (not ambiguous). After being asked questions for a while, I was given the chance to ask them questions. Overall it was a good experience. I have not yet received an offer, but it hasn't been very long yet.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were leading a project and one of the members dominated the conversation. What did you do to help mitigate this?   Answer Question

Senior Associate Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2011.

Interviewed on campus for engineering rotation program. After discussing my education, background and aspirations the interviewer told me I likely wouldn't be a good fit in product engineering but an ideal candidate for R&D at Tech Center and he'd forward my credentials. Nothing came of that but I was extended an on site interview with the product team at their division offices. On site interviews were 3 separate 1-2-1 sessions with different managers. All STAR based (e.g. Tell me a time would worked on a project with a difficult team member and how you handled the situation, Tell me a time you had to learn a new skill quickly, etc.). Was offered the position the following day with a very competitive salary and relocation package.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected. Just prepare for STAR method interviews and know your resume.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

They'll ask you a series of questions about situations you've encountered in the past and how you reacted.

Accounting Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Caterpillar.

Campus career fair is a must, then a series of two back to back, behavioral based interviews.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were behavior based. As for any interview, be sure to have enough questions to ask at the end.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate. They base intern pay off how much college completion.

Accounting Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Caterpillar.

I got in through campus recruiting. They came in and did the first round - 2 30-min interviews back to back. I got the offer soon afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember - it wasn't too bad. behavioral questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Packaging Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Morton, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morton, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Caterpillar in February 2011.

Originally interviewed at college job fair. Received a call back and interviewed on site. All questions were targeted selection situational questions. Interviewed with 3 different managers for 3 different jobs that were available within the packaging group.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you were not equipped to complete a task and how you went about doing so.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate

Summer Intern FEA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2013.

Career Fair, then on-site interview at Research Park

Interview Questions
    • When was a time that you had to sell something?   View Answer
    • What is your greatest weakness?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

2 on-site interviews.
    All behavior questions.

Process Control Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Peoria, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Caterpillar in December 2011.

Communication was intermittent. I had initial interviews then a six week gap before a follow-up. After the second interview the offer came by phone within 12 hours.

Interview Questions
    • It was a very standard interview. The must difficult part was the second round. The interviews poor english skills make communication troublesome. Caterpillar uses the STAR format for interview questions and if you deviate from the formate the interviewer will ask you to get back on the track. Two of the three interviewers had english as a second language and were ill-prepared for the interviews. This was very unexpected after the highly polished initial interviews with junior managers who had prepared in depth for the interview.   Answer Question
    N/A