Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

College Practicum: IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Two 30 minute behavioral interviews, they read questions from a packet. The questions were almost all about situations that you've been in, and how did act in the situation, and what were the results of the situation. The interviewers were very friendly and tried to make me feel more comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you made a bad decision, and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Caterpillar in February 2015.

Interview

two 30 minute interviews. Mostly behavioral questions. They followed the STAR interviewing technique. Be sure to look up different scenarios and have answers for those scenarios. Other than that it was a laid back interview

Interview Questions

• give me a time when you had a problem when working with another person. How did you resolve that problem?   Answer Question

Technical Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

I had two 30 minute phone interviews. The interviews were behavioral, and the associates mention that they want STAR formatted answers. They aim to ask 5 questions. They were really nice and start off by talking about themselves and ask about you... I applied through online recruiting, and then was personally contacted to set up an interview. I found out 10-12 days after my last phone interview that I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to use leadership skills?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you were working with a team? Were you satisfied with end results... Explain   Answer Question

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was pretty typical. It was a behavioral interview so the questions were typically situation based and I was told to answer based on previous experience. The toughest part was their STAR structure which they are pretty strict on. They fill out a form as you answer their questions so your best bet is to say what is going to look best on that paper.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

It is just an hour interview.The panel contains 3 members. I went through a recruiter. He does the background check. The interviewer is mostly interested in projects and the skill set. He gave a job description for the first 15 minutes followed by a few questions in my projects and then by behavioral HR questions.

Graduate Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

On phone screening, whole day in person interviews. In person interviews were one on one. These interviews vary from technical, behavioral and personal background / fit with the company culture. Fit with the company culture is a very big part of the interviews so it is very very important to make sure that you just be who you are instead of trying to figure out what they want to hear. Technical interview can be pretty technical too and most of the interviewers are looking for how well you can work and know what you know instead of trying to make sure you know everything already.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions asking for examples or situations. Behavioral questions such as tell me a situation when you had a difficult colleague and how did you handle that situation can be very difficult because you have to go into the detail of the situation. Just take your time to thinking through a whole situation and then answer instead of start answering and then fumbling through the whole answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate at all but there may be opportunities for negotiations in some situations.

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

Formal, ask questions related to my resume. Was more formal then technical. I am through a staffing agency. Agency did ask me more then caterpillar. over all interview process was simple , focused on the product and the task needed to perform to fulfill the job duties.

Interview Questions

• What are your expectations carrier wise ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not negotiate as its a contracting position.

Material Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Series of interviews along with agility testing and probationary period before becoming a full time Cat employee. I worked consistently and diligently and was offered full time position within 90 days.

Interview Questions

• What would you do...in this situation   1 Answer

Negotiation

was offered second shift and declined then offered third shift and I accepted.

Distribution Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

I applied online and received an email response to speak to someone on the phone. We spoke briefly for a few minutes about expectations, why I applied and availability for a phone interview since I was not in the area at the time. I interviewed with a panel of 3 people over the phone two weeks later. Then two weeks afterwards I was invited to do a site visit, after the site visit an offer was made for the role.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me a time when you disagreed with your supervisor? Please tell me about a time you engage employees to get improve results.   Answer Question

Technical Marketing Interview

Interview

Met them at a career fair, applied through my school and on their site. I went to the interview about 2 weeks later. The interview was behavioral. It was fairly easy, but I still didn't receive an offer.