Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mossville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2014.

The Managers that interviewed me was really nice and made me feel comfortable.
    The overall experience was great. Everyone that I came in contact with at CAT made me excited to work there. :)

Interview Questions
    • It was a 30 minute interview and the questions were expected.
      For example, walk me through one of you experience on your resume.
      What's your greatest strength? , What's your life plan?
      Asking about computer skills and how to deal with working in a team.
        Answer Question

Marketing Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Caterpillar in October 2012.

2 on-campus interviews, 3 on-site interviews

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you failed at a project. What could you have done differently for a better outcome?   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mossville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

I applied online. The process took 7 months - interviewed at Caterpillar in January 2014.

I applied for this position in August of 2013 it is now March of 2014. It seems that several holds were placed on hiring and the end of the year but I did phone interview in December and an on-site all expenses paid interview in January 2014. Being ex-military I got on board the old "hurry up and wait" mind set as I was warned might happen. Since I am currently employed I had no problem with it. Also, I have always had a good perspective on Caterpollar a real home-grown company as I am Illinois born andraised. Guess it's a kinda pride for no good reason other than blind faith in my home state and it's people. Gotta believe in something, right? In any case the team lead who I runs the projects for the department picked me up for breakfast from the hotel and we got to know one another as good ol illinois brothers do. He wasn't anything less than I expected after getting to know hom over a 1.5 hour phone interview. He's a sharp guy and I expected to meet similar folks on the team. I wasn't disappointed .... a very knowledgable staff that I'm guessing was hand picked as was happening with me as I am finding out... another long story.
    So, I sat through five interviews with the department heads and the software engineering group as well. All had thefamil8ar midwestern low-key and comfortable confidence with a healthy admiration for the work they do and a refreshing yet not surprising quote loyalty runny under it all. .... now remember I'm a bit patrotic and it always warms my heat to see the innocent love and devotion an engineer has for his lifes work.

Okay, I'll cut to the chase.... all semed to go well enough after 5he barrage 9f situational questioning..as I have 25 plus years to provide severay answers to the seemingly similar questions.

I was given a tour of thelabwere the project was contained and google-eyed the hardware as it was reminiscent of a familiar system I had previously worked on and with many good memories.

As we drove back to the hotel I felt as c9mfortable if not more with the lead and would com0ar3 it to a family kinda feeling.We both conveyed that we thought all went well and parted our ways .As I exited his car he said " you'll be hearing from us very soon!"

So after a couple days I got word that they were interested and felt I would be a good fit. However, the job posting would need to run out before an offer could be made. And that's where I'm at this week. Expecting a call any day.....

Even if, by some chance I don't get the position it was a great experience both technically and personally rewarding.

...... waiting for offer.

Interview Questions
    • None unexpected. All easily answered beca7se they were based on experience.   Answer Question

6 Sigma Black Belt Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview process depends on the business unit and hiring manager, but will usually involve multiple people from varying job role asking general behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle conflict? Give a specific example of the situation, and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Sustainability Analyst Interview

Contract interview. Two round with agency and phone interview with hiring manager and senior engineer. Ask simple question about background and suggestions to company

Subject Matter Expert/Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Peoria, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Caterpillar in May 2010.

I was interviewed by my supervisor who hired me. It was contracting job. I had just finished my MS in Mechanical engineering from US. Asked me in brief about what I did as my MS thesis. My MS thesis was on the same topic as of my supervisor's PhD topic, so we had fun talking about it. Little bit technical about the job I am going to do, then asked why I did switch jobs in past, asked if I have faced any clients before. Then main manager arrived to interview me who just patiently listened to what I said. The manager was good listener and told about the growth of the company. Good interview. They both made me feel very relaxed and I could give interview very well, it lasted for 45 minutes. I left happily. Next day, I received a call with offer.

Interview Questions
    • Did u ever face client? The job I was interviewed for never involved any client communications.   View Answer
    I was contractor, so did not negotiate and I received good offer.

Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lafayette, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in February 2010.

Three interviews in the same day with three different people. Pretty laid back with very basic questions. Then you go in to an office with a supervisor and he asks more technical questions.

Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through the school's website and they called for an interview on campus.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral based questions with two different people in a one hour block.   Answer Question

Cfd Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Peoria, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in May 2010.

Agency engineer working full time on site at Caterpillar. The agency company will submit the resume to the CAT hiring manager and if they like you they will ask you to an on-site. CAT has a streamlined process of using agency workers, and after some time they can convert agency workers to CAT full-time employees, when you will get much higher pay and better benefits.

Section Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lagrange, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lagrange, GA

I applied online - interviewed at Caterpillar in November 2012.

The interview process is almost exclusively based on answering situational questions about your past experiences.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepare for questions along the lines of "tell me of time when you were not successful and what did you do about it"? Also, "tell mo of time you had to deal with a difficult employee and how did you handle this situation"?   Answer Question