Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated Oct 23, 2014
Updated Oct 23, 2014

Senior Design Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Caterpillar.

was interviewed at college campus first. situation based questions. 3 weeks later was interviewed at their facility by 3 interviewers separately. again situation based questions

Interview Questions
    I asked them to give some signing bonus.

Leadership and Technical Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar in November 2013.

First interview was an hour long phone interview. Was invited for second round interview after 3 weeks. Night before the interview the host took us out for dinner and answered any questions we had. . On site was 3 one hour long interviews and were 1:1. Was made an offer a month later.

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

STAR method, combined panel interviews and individual interviews.
    Long and subjective

You have no negotiation phase. You have to ask for everything up front. At the point where they will say that they can not pay more or add vacation because of company policy and position requirements, you either have to let it go or risk not getting the job. In my case when they told me what the salary was, I stopped the interview and told them that I could not take a position for less than a specific amount.... They told me they could not do that, but wanted to continue the interview anyway. I kindly thanked them and said I would not waste their time, but they said let's finish the interview... we did, and I was made an offer. I replied back asking for more vacation time equivalent to someone with my experience at Caterpillar, but stated that it was not a deal breaker... they replied back with a new offer doubling the vacation.

Senior Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Caterpillar.

On campus interview followed by 3 rounds of technical interviews. Very repetitive, tiring and to some extent grueling. No surprising questions but expected surprising answers which was very interesting to think of now.

Interview Questions
    Offered way less than what the market has to offer and so had to negotiate.

Accounting Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Interviewed during Spring semester. It was through on campus recruiting following the campus career fair. It consisted of one round of interviews on campus, with 30 minute interviews with two accounting employees. The process was very open, positive and engaging. Both interviewers were kind and seemed genuinely interested in my personal goals and qualifications.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions stand out. Mostly behavioral questions - they expect good examples and evaluate based on the STAR method.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Revenue Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

interviewed at Caterpillar in October 2013.

Recruited by on campus recruiter. Did an on campus interview, will follow up for an on site interview where they will give a tour. He mentioned that we will do 3 one hour interviews with three different managers to decide if we are a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you were expected to take the lead when you were not expecting to.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

The people were very well organized and knew what they wanted to accomplish. I presented my resume to a team of folks and then interviewed with them one by one. I received a tour of one of Caterpillar's facility while the team held a consensus meeting. I was extended an offer before I left the company for the day.

Interview Questions
    • What do you have to offer that another applicant cannot?   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

For Experienced job openings, Usually gets resumes from the job consultancies, shortlist a few, go with telephonic interviews for further shortlisting. Once the telephonic interview is through, there will be a face to face technical discussion with Tech leads, followed by Target Selection Interviews by hiring managers and finally a HR round.
    Freshers only through campus recruitment.

Interview Questions
    • Did not get any. Depends on the position that is being interviewed.   Answer Question

Operations Supervisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar.

After completing testing, was interviewed by numerous upper level managers and HR manager.

Interview Questions
    Salary was offered to me at their standard rate. I negotiated a salary review at 6 months of employment. At this time, I was moved up to a more experienced pay grade.

Engineer Interview

Traditional interview process, first round generally with HR or volunteer. 2nd round is with trained interviewers in the group that you are being considered for. Following the STAR or similar method is best to crack the interview, but focus on making a connection with your interviewer. Generally, a host is assigned that will take you around the town, have lunch/dinner with you, and answer questions about the company. Take advantage of that opportunity!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, mainly behavioral and culture fit questions, using the Targeted Selection interview and recruiting process.   Answer Question