Caterpillar

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Caterpillar

Interview Details – First Interview in campus, second was in Peoria, three different interviews with three different people. It was some time ago, so I don't quite remember well. They also took us on a tour in one of their manufacturing facility as far as I remember.

Interview Question – I don't wanna give a wrong question, since this was some time ago.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview Details – I talked to someone at the career fair. They later emailed me saying that they wanted to interview me.

There were two interviews back to back. Both were 30 minutes long. Two really nice guys who asked just about all behavioral questions. They asked three questions at a time, and you got to pick which one you wanted to answer. That made it really easy.

Interview Question – Be ready to just talk about yourself. They may ask you to just talk about yourself   Answer Question

Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in August 2008.

Interview Details – Did an intern with them during the summer. I got the internship just doing behavorial questions and no technical. After the internship I had three interviews with three different managers. Oh and a drug test as well. I got an offer almost right away.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Change of major.

Mechanical Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview Details – Assessment Centre - Plant tour, competency interview, make your own presentation on given topic then group task. Takes the entire day. Be sure to ask as many questions as you can, no question is a stupid question. But nothing out of the ordinary. All questions were general obvious interview questions

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. All questions were general obvious interview questions   Answer Question

Interviewed at Caterpillar

Interview Details – Interview consists of HR and technical rounds.In Technical round questions came from IC engines.Phenomena of knocking was asked to describe and questions like "what happens when diesel is put into a petrol engine?' were asked.The technical questions were pretty easy.,Hr questions were primarily to test reaction under pressure.Many questions asked were standard like "What are your strengths and weaknesses?' and "Tell me about yourself?"

Interview Question – "What would you do if you come to know that your boss is working against the company given that you have maintained to be obedient with him ?'"   View Answer

Chennai (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in November 2010.

Interview Details – I was called for an interview. Consisted of a panel of 3 - one hiring manager, his equivalent heading a different team, and their boss who manages the division.

Interview was sprinkling of STAR type questions combined with previous experience questions.
Took about 1 hr. Some questions were pretty unrelated to the job - 'Describe a situation where you managed a balance between your work and personal life'. I also had to give a 15 minute presentation about some of the work I did in my previous job role. Since it was a research role, my interviewers kinda blanked out :-)

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you took a leadership role and saw it through.   View Answer
  • What subjects are your strength and weakness in mechanical engineering and why (don't remember if they asked to describe a situation)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate. BIG MISTAKE, because once I got in I realized that its hard to go up the scale, and people who are less qualified are in a better situation. Its a dirty secret that Caterpillar, India generally cons prospective employees into taking a pay grade at least one step lower than they can negotiate.
Advice : Talk to someone inside the company, boldly negotiate. You dont lose anything.

Mechanical Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in September 2011.

Interview Details – Was one hour long, and consisted of two 1:1, 30 minute sessions. There were two interviewers ( one for each session). They asked your typical STAR questions. They were very professional, but you could tell they were on a tight time restraint to ask all of the questions. My advice would be to research common STAR questions and have responses ready to go.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had difficulty working in a team and how did you overcome that difficulty?   Answer Question
  • What interest you in this field of Engineering.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by one person for an entry level rotational program position. The interviewer was very friendly and seemed interested in what I had to say. The questions were pretty much all situation based where they are looking for specific examples. "Tell me about a time when you had to develop a creative solution to a problem?" They called it the "STAR" format. Basically they wanted you to tell them about a specific situation, the action you took, and the result of that action. Most of the 30 to 45min interview consisted of these "STAR" questions followed by a short time where you could ask questions about the position/company.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to develop a creative solution to a problem   Answer Question

Worked for Caterpillar? Contribute to the Community!