Caterpillar

Updated Oct 23, 2014

2.8

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Mechanical Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Caterpillar came to campus for recruiting and held a couple of technical/Q&A sessions, both of which I attended. They held mock interviews and open interviews for their intern position. The mock interview was very helpful, I got a lot of feedback and I think it showed the recruiters I was really interested. The actual interview lasted and hour, two half hour sessions with two different interviewers. All the questions were STAR format. "Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult person on a group project" "Tell me about a time you applied a skill you learned" "Tell me about a project that didn't workout like you had hoped"

Interview Questions
  • "Tell me about a time when you worked in a group and one group member dominated the conversation" It was just tough because it was so specific and I couldn't think of a time I had been in that situation   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Caterpillar

Mechanical Engineer Interview

First Interview in campus, second was in Peoria, three different interviews with three different people. It was some time ago, so I don't quite remember well. They also took us on a tour in one of their manufacturing facility as far as I remember.

Interview Questions
    • I don't wanna give a wrong question, since this was some time ago.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar.

I talked to someone at the career fair. They later emailed me saying that they wanted to interview me.

There were two interviews back to back. Both were 30 minutes long. Two really nice guys who asked just about all behavioral questions. They asked three questions at a time, and you got to pick which one you wanted to answer. That made it really easy.

Interview Questions
    • Be ready to just talk about yourself. They may ask you to just talk about yourself   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar in August 2008.

Did an intern with them during the summer. I got the internship just doing behavorial questions and no technical. After the internship I had three interviews with three different managers. Oh and a drug test as well. I got an offer almost right away.

Change of major.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Assessment Centre - Plant tour, competency interview, make your own presentation on given topic then group task. Takes the entire day. Be sure to ask as many questions as you can, no question is a stupid question. But nothing out of the ordinary. All questions were general obvious interview questions

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. All questions were general obvious interview questions   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview consists of HR and technical rounds.In Technical round questions came from IC engines.Phenomena of knocking was asked to describe and questions like "what happens when diesel is put into a petrol engine?' were asked.The technical questions were pretty easy.,Hr questions were primarily to test reaction under pressure.Many questions asked were standard like "What are your strengths and weaknesses?' and "Tell me about yourself?"

Interview Questions
    • "What would you do if you come to know that your boss is working against the company given that you have maintained to be obedient with him ?'"   View Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in September 2011.

Was one hour long, and consisted of two 1:1, 30 minute sessions. There were two interviewers ( one for each session). They asked your typical STAR questions. They were very professional, but you could tell they were on a tight time restraint to ask all of the questions. My advice would be to research common STAR questions and have responses ready to go.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you had difficulty working in a team and how did you overcome that difficulty?   Answer Question
    • What interest you in this field of Engineering.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in November 2010.

I was called for an interview. Consisted of a panel of 3 - one hiring manager, his equivalent heading a different team, and their boss who manages the division.

Interview was sprinkling of STAR type questions combined with previous experience questions.
    Took about 1 hr. Some questions were pretty unrelated to the job - 'Describe a situation where you managed a balance between your work and personal life'. I also had to give a 15 minute presentation about some of the work I did in my previous job role. Since it was a research role, my interviewers kinda blanked out :-)

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you took a leadership role and saw it through.   View Answer
    • What subjects are your strength and weakness in mechanical engineering and why (don't remember if they asked to describe a situation)   View Answer
    I was not able to negotiate. BIG MISTAKE, because once I got in I realized that its hard to go up the scale, and people who are less qualified are in a better situation. Its a dirty secret that Caterpillar, India generally cons prospective employees into taking a pay grade at least one step lower than they can negotiate.
    Advice : Talk to someone inside the company, boldly negotiate. You dont lose anything.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in September 2010.

I was interviewed by one person for an entry level rotational program position. The interviewer was very friendly and seemed interested in what I had to say. The questions were pretty much all situation based where they are looking for specific examples. "Tell me about a time when you had to develop a creative solution to a problem?" They called it the "STAR" format. Basically they wanted you to tell them about a specific situation, the action you took, and the result of that action. Most of the 30 to 45min interview consisted of these "STAR" questions followed by a short time where you could ask questions about the position/company.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to develop a creative solution to a problem   Answer Question