Caterpillar

Relevance Date Difficulty

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer
Mossville, IL

I applied online and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Caterpillar in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for this position in August of 2013 it is now March of 2014. It seems that several holds were placed on hiring and the end of the year but I did phone interview in December and an on-site all expenses paid interview in January 2014. Being ex-military I got on board the old "hurry up and wait" mind set as I was warned might happen. Since I am currently employed I had no problem with it. Also, I have always had a good perspective on Caterpollar a real home-grown company as I am Illinois born andraised. Guess it's a kinda pride for no good reason other than blind faith in my home state and it's people. Gotta believe in something, right? In any case the team lead who I runs the projects for the department picked me up for breakfast from the hotel and we got to know one another as good ol illinois brothers do. He wasn't anything less than I expected after getting to know hom over a 1.5 hour phone interview. He's a sharp guy and I expected to meet similar folks on the team. I wasn't disappointed .... a very knowledgable staff that I'm guessing was hand picked as was happening with me as I am finding out... another long story.
So, I sat through five interviews with the department heads and the software engineering group as well. All had thefamil8ar midwestern low-key and comfortable confidence with a healthy admiration for the work they do and a refreshing yet not surprising quote loyalty runny under it all. .... now remember I'm a bit patrotic and it always warms my heat to see the innocent love and devotion an engineer has for his lifes work.

Okay, I'll cut to the chase.... all semed to go well enough after 5he barrage 9f situational questioning..as I have 25 plus years to provide severay answers to the seemingly similar questions.

I was given a tour of thelabwere the project was contained and google-eyed the hardware as it was reminiscent of a familiar system I had previously worked on and with many good memories.

As we drove back to the hotel I felt as c9mfortable if not more with the lead and would com0ar3 it to a family kinda feeling.We both conveyed that we thought all went well and parted our ways .As I exited his car he said " you'll be hearing from us very soon!"

So after a couple days I got word that they were interested and felt I would be a good fit. However, the job posting would need to run out before an offer could be made. And that's where I'm at this week. Expecting a call any day.....

Even if, by some chance I don't get the position it was a great experience both technically and personally rewarding.

...... waiting for offer.

Interview Question – None unexpected. All easily answered beca7se they were based on experience.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Mossville, IL

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2014.

Interview Details – The Managers that interviewed me was really nice and made me feel comfortable.
The overall experience was great. Everyone that I came in contact with at CAT made me excited to work there. :)

Interview Question – It was a 30 minute interview and the questions were expected.
For example, walk me through one of you experience on your resume.
What's your greatest strength? , What's your life plan?
Asking about computer skills and how to deal with working in a team.

Senior Engineer Interview

Mossville, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Caterpillar in April 2009.

Interview Details – Behavioral interview process. If you prepare for these type of questions you will do great.

Interview Question – Tell me a time where you had to make a difficult decision and what were the results   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Made offer take it or leave it.

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Mossville, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview Details – STAR method, combined panel interviews and individual interviews.
Long and subjective

Negotiation Details – You have no negotiation phase. You have to ask for everything up front. At the point where they will say that they can not pay more or add vacation because of company policy and position requirements, you either have to let it go or risk not getting the job. In my case when they told me what the salary was, I stopped the interview and told them that I could not take a position for less than a specific amount.... They told me they could not do that, but wanted to continue the interview anyway. I kindly thanked them and said I would not waste their time, but they said let's finish the interview... we did, and I was made an offer. I replied back asking for more vacation time equivalent to someone with my experience at Caterpillar, but stated that it was not a deal breaker... they replied back with a new offer doubling the vacation.

Experienced Buyer Interview

Mossville, IL

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Caterpillar in February 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process was excellent, everyone from the receptionist to the interviewers made me feel right at home.

Interview Question – there were no real difficult questions, the unexpected question was how to deal with a situation that you inherit from your predecessor.   View Answer

Engineering Internship Interview

Mossville, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2009.

Interview Details – All I had was a phone interview with HR as mandatory part of the process. I had regular HR questions.

Negotiation Details – They sent an offer with a undergraduate pay scale. I asked if that reflected the pay for a Masters student and they mentioned the pay rates for undergraduates, first year Masters and second year Masters. They corrected my offer based on my educational level.

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Mossville, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in September 2009.

Interview Details – Caterpillar's process is more of selecting candidates by their ability to thrive in a work environment. If faced with tough situations, how do you handle it. You need to provide actual examples from your past experiences. Describe your actual situation, what you specifically did. As an Engineer they know we are technically capable, but to get things done, you need soft skills which Engineers are not so good at.

Interview Question – Can you describe a situation in which you had to resolve a conflict. What was the situation, what did you do about it and what was the result?   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Mossville, IL

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar in May 2012.

Interview Details – Initially applied on the caterpillar website. Received an email asking for available phone interview times as well as instructions on how to submit an unofficial transcript to the HR department. Two 30 minute phone interviews were conducted with seemingly younger engineers. Ultimately received a rejection email a week or two later.

Interview Question – What class or experience do you feel prepared you the most for future employment?   Answer Question

Supply Chain RCCP Engineer Interview

Mossville, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Caterpillar in February 2011.

Interview Details – I reached out to the hiring manager directly via e-mail and expressed interest in the job. He called me back about a week later, had a phone interview, and I flew to the office a few weeks later. The interview itself was very short and relaxed... mostly pain free. I didn't hear anything for a while but then a few months later I received an offer. I guess the downside with huge companies is that hiring freezes aren't all that uncommon.

Interview Question – The questions weren't necessarily difficult, but they sought out completeness of answers. If my answer was incomplete in any way (you always know when it is), they would either push for further detail or just accept it and move on.   Answer Question

Research and Development Engineer Interview

Research and Development Engineer
Mossville, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Caterpillar in February 2012.

Interview Details – Got a call for an onsite interview at Caterpillar's Mosville research and development center, after applying online on their website. There was no phone interview. It was a direct call for an onsite interview based on online application. The position was in combustion group.

Since they were interviewing me for a research position I was expecting the focus would be on technical aspects. But, to my surprise it was completely behavioral. This was a complete "Targeted Selection" interview. It was a panel interview with 3 people. All of them had similar questions, and were asking questions by reading their printouts. The questions are mainly aimed at giving specific examples from your previous experiences in dealing with different scenarios.

Interview Questions

• 1) Describe a challenging task that you had to accomplish? And how did you accomplish it?
    2) Tell us about a skill that you did not have and the process you went through to acquire them?
    3) Describe a scenario where you were doing something in a wrong way and later corrected it?
    4) A scenario where you evaluated gains and risks about doing something and at the end decided not to do it
  • 1) A scenario where you had to focus on attention to detail
    2) An example of working in a group
    3) Hostility with a coworker and how you resolved it?
    4) Any experience with putting in place safety and operation procedures
    5) What contributions are you leaving behind at your previous work place?

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Caterpillar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Caterpillar interview questions and advice in Mossville, IL. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Caterpillar employees and interview candidates.