Caterpillar Interview Questions in Mossville, IL

Updated May 13, 2015

2.9

Powertrain - Lab Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Met with the Powertrain division manager first, then went over resume with both him and another manager from the division. After the briefing, we looked through the lab and I was quizzed on things I ought to know for the job. Lots of exposure to where I would work and letting me know what I'd need to do

Interview Questions

• How would you get rotation speed data on a gear shaft?   Answer Question

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

Formal, ask questions related to my resume. Was more formal then technical. I am through a staffing agency. Agency did ask me more then caterpillar. over all interview process was simple , focused on the product and the task needed to perform to fulfill the job duties.

Interview Questions

• What are your expectations carrier wise ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not negotiate as its a contracting position.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in March 2014.

Interview

The Managers that interviewed me was really nice and made me feel comfortable.
    The overall experience was great. Everyone that I came in contact with at CAT made me excited to work there. :)

Interview Questions

• It was a 30 minute interview and the questions were expected.
      For example, walk me through one of you experience on your resume.
      What's your greatest strength? , What's your life plan?
      Asking about computer skills and how to deal with working in a team.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied for this position in August of 2013 it is now March of 2014. It seems that several holds were placed on hiring and the end of the year but I did phone interview in December and an on-site all expenses paid interview in January 2014. Being ex-military I got on board the old "hurry up and wait" mind set as I was warned might happen. Since I am currently employed I had no problem with it. Also, I have always had a good perspective on Caterpollar a real home-grown company as I am Illinois born andraised. Guess it's a kinda pride for no good reason other than blind faith in my home state and it's people. Gotta believe in something, right? In any case the team lead who I runs the projects for the department picked me up for breakfast from the hotel and we got to know one another as good ol illinois brothers do. He wasn't anything less than I expected after getting to know hom over a 1.5 hour phone interview. He's a sharp guy and I expected to meet similar folks on the team. I wasn't disappointed .... a very knowledgable staff that I'm guessing was hand picked as was happening with me as I am finding out... another long story.
    So, I sat through five interviews with the department heads and the software engineering group as well. All had thefamil8ar midwestern low-key and comfortable confidence with a healthy admiration for the work they do and a refreshing yet not surprising quote loyalty runny under it all. .... now remember I'm a bit patrotic and it always warms my heat to see the innocent love and devotion an engineer has for his lifes work.

Okay, I'll cut to the chase.... all semed to go well enough after 5he barrage 9f situational questioning..as I have 25 plus years to provide severay answers to the seemingly similar questions.

I was given a tour of thelabwere the project was contained and google-eyed the hardware as it was reminiscent of a familiar system I had previously worked on and with many good memories.

As we drove back to the hotel I felt as c9mfortable if not more with the lead and would com0ar3 it to a family kinda feeling.We both conveyed that we thought all went well and parted our ways .As I exited his car he said " you'll be hearing from us very soon!"

So after a couple days I got word that they were interested and felt I would be a good fit. However, the job posting would need to run out before an offer could be made. And that's where I'm at this week. Expecting a call any day.....

Even if, by some chance I don't get the position it was a great experience both technically and personally rewarding.

...... waiting for offer.

Interview Questions

• None unexpected. All easily answered beca7se they were based on experience.   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL).

Interview

STAR method, combined panel interviews and individual interviews.
    Long and subjective

Negotiation

You have no negotiation phase. You have to ask for everything up front. At the point where they will say that they can not pay more or add vacation because of company policy and position requirements, you either have to let it go or risk not getting the job. In my case when they told me what the salary was, I stopped the interview and told them that I could not take a position for less than a specific amount.... They told me they could not do that, but wanted to continue the interview anyway. I kindly thanked them and said I would not waste their time, but they said let's finish the interview... we did, and I was made an offer. I replied back asking for more vacation time equivalent to someone with my experience at Caterpillar, but stated that it was not a deal breaker... they replied back with a new offer doubling the vacation.

Experienced Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

Interview process was excellent, everyone from the receptionist to the interviewers made me feel right at home.

Interview Questions

• there were no real difficult questions, the unexpected question was how to deal with a situation that you inherit from your predecessor.   1 Answer

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in May 2012.

Interview

Initially applied on the caterpillar website. Received an email asking for available phone interview times as well as instructions on how to submit an unofficial transcript to the HR department. Two 30 minute phone interviews were conducted with seemingly younger engineers. Ultimately received a rejection email a week or two later.

Interview Questions

• What class or experience do you feel prepared you the most for future employment?   Answer Question

Metallurgical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in March 2012.

Interview

Consisted of talking to a representative at a college career fair, then was asked to apply online.

Was called back to interviews. Interviews consisted of two, 30 minute sessions of interview questions. Interview questions involved behavioral questions (Give me an example of a time where someone wasn't doing their part, Give me a time where you gave a new innovative idea, Give me a time where your "customer" wasn't satisfied with you and how did you go about it)

Interview Questions

• Tell me a situation where your "customer" was not satisfied, and how did you go about it?   1 Answer
    • Tell me a time where people were reluctant to follow your idea   1 Answer

Research and Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in February 2012.

Interview

Got a call for an onsite interview at Caterpillar's Mosville research and development center, after applying online on their website. There was no phone interview. It was a direct call for an onsite interview based on online application. The position was in combustion group.

Since they were interviewing me for a research position I was expecting the focus would be on technical aspects. But, to my surprise it was completely behavioral. This was a complete "Targeted Selection" interview. It was a panel interview with 3 people. All of them had similar questions, and were asking questions by reading their printouts. The questions are mainly aimed at giving specific examples from your previous experiences in dealing with different scenarios.

Interview Questions

• 1) Describe a challenging task that you had to accomplish? And how did you accomplish it?
      2) Tell us about a skill that you did not have and the process you went through to acquire them?
      3) Describe a scenario where you were doing something in a wrong way and later corrected it?
      4) A scenario where you evaluated gains and risks about doing something and at the end decided not to do it

• 1) A scenario where you had to focus on attention to detail
      2) An example of working in a group
      3) Hostility with a coworker and how you resolved it?
      4) Any experience with putting in place safety and operation procedures
      5) What contributions are you leaving behind at your previous work place?

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in November 2011.

Interview

In early Oct. I got an on-campus interview. Didn't hear anything for about a month but was pleased to receive an offer to do an on-site interview in the Peoria area. I interviewed for a position in: Leadership and Technical Development Program - Product Development Track

Went out to a nice meal the night before with hosts and other interviewees.
    My host was around at various points throughout the interview day including picking me up to take me from the hotel to the engineering complex and a tour of Peoria afterward.

Interview day consisted of an introductory presentation to all interviewees, 3 different 1:1 interviews, a fine quality lunch, a tour, a presentation on benefits, and 1:1 time with the manager of the area you would be hired into. Overall it was a well run process that made me feel immersed into the company for a day, more so than other companies I've encountered.

The interviews were with 3 different managers including one who manages the division I would be hired into. The interview questions were behavioral based as have been described here. However, I would not go into these 'cold turkey'. I spent a decent amount of time 2 days before the interview practicing questions with someone and adding to my repertoire of scenarios to draw from.

I was informed the interviewers would have meetings to decide on candidates that same day. (I also understood that while there were multiple interviewees, we were not competing as we had all been picked for different positions). I received an offer by email about 1.5 weeks after my on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• How did you arrive at choosing your major?   Answer Question
    • Sometimes people you work with will be more challenging than others. How have you experienced this before and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't not have any other offers at the time but the Cat offer was very good so I did not try to negotiate.