Caterpillar Interview Questions in Mossville, IL

3.1

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

The process took a weekinterviewed at Caterpillar in March 2014.

The Managers that interviewed me was really nice and made me feel comfortable.
    The overall experience was great. Everyone that I came in contact with at CAT made me excited to work there. :)

Interview Questions
    • It was a 30 minute interview and the questions were expected.
      For example, walk me through one of you experience on your resume.
      What's your greatest strength? , What's your life plan?
      Asking about computer skills and how to deal with working in a team.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar in January 2014.

I applied for this position in August of 2013 it is now March of 2014. It seems that several holds were placed on hiring and the end of the year but I did phone interview in December and an on-site all expenses paid interview in January 2014. Being ex-military I got on board the old "hurry up and wait" mind set as I was warned might happen. Since I am currently employed I had no problem with it. Also, I have always had a good perspective on Caterpollar a real home-grown company as I am Illinois born andraised. Guess it's a kinda pride for no good reason other than blind faith in my home state and it's people. Gotta believe in something, right? In any case the team lead who I runs the projects for the department picked me up for breakfast from the hotel and we got to know one another as good ol illinois brothers do. He wasn't anything less than I expected after getting to know hom over a 1.5 hour phone interview. He's a sharp guy and I expected to meet similar folks on the team. I wasn't disappointed .... a very knowledgable staff that I'm guessing was hand picked as was happening with me as I am finding out... another long story.
    So, I sat through five interviews with the department heads and the software engineering group as well. All had thefamil8ar midwestern low-key and comfortable confidence with a healthy admiration for the work they do and a refreshing yet not surprising quote loyalty runny under it all. .... now remember I'm a bit patrotic and it always warms my heat to see the innocent love and devotion an engineer has for his lifes work.

Okay, I'll cut to the chase.... all semed to go well enough after 5he barrage 9f situational questioning..as I have 25 plus years to provide severay answers to the seemingly similar questions.

I was given a tour of thelabwere the project was contained and google-eyed the hardware as it was reminiscent of a familiar system I had previously worked on and with many good memories.

As we drove back to the hotel I felt as c9mfortable if not more with the lead and would com0ar3 it to a family kinda feeling.We both conveyed that we thought all went well and parted our ways .As I exited his car he said " you'll be hearing from us very soon!"

So after a couple days I got word that they were interested and felt I would be a good fit. However, the job posting would need to run out before an offer could be made. And that's where I'm at this week. Expecting a call any day.....

Even if, by some chance I don't get the position it was a great experience both technically and personally rewarding.

...... waiting for offer.

Interview Questions
    • None unexpected. All easily answered beca7se they were based on experience.   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

STAR method, combined panel interviews and individual interviews.
    Long and subjective

You have no negotiation phase. You have to ask for everything up front. At the point where they will say that they can not pay more or add vacation because of company policy and position requirements, you either have to let it go or risk not getting the job. In my case when they told me what the salary was, I stopped the interview and told them that I could not take a position for less than a specific amount.... They told me they could not do that, but wanted to continue the interview anyway. I kindly thanked them and said I would not waste their time, but they said let's finish the interview... we did, and I was made an offer. I replied back asking for more vacation time equivalent to someone with my experience at Caterpillar, but stated that it was not a deal breaker... they replied back with a new offer doubling the vacation.

Experienced Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar in February 2013.

Interview process was excellent, everyone from the receptionist to the interviewers made me feel right at home.

Interview Questions
    • there were no real difficult questions, the unexpected question was how to deal with a situation that you inherit from your predecessor.   View Answer

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar in May 2012.

Initially applied on the caterpillar website. Received an email asking for available phone interview times as well as instructions on how to submit an unofficial transcript to the HR department. Two 30 minute phone interviews were conducted with seemingly younger engineers. Ultimately received a rejection email a week or two later.

Interview Questions
    • What class or experience do you feel prepared you the most for future employment?   Answer Question

Metallurgical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in March 2012.

Consisted of talking to a representative at a college career fair, then was asked to apply online.

Was called back to interviews. Interviews consisted of two, 30 minute sessions of interview questions. Interview questions involved behavioral questions (Give me an example of a time where someone wasn't doing their part, Give me a time where you gave a new innovative idea, Give me a time where your "customer" wasn't satisfied with you and how did you go about it)

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a situation where your "customer" was not satisfied, and how did you go about it?   View Answer
    • Tell me a time where people were reluctant to follow your idea   View Answer

Research and Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in February 2012.

Got a call for an onsite interview at Caterpillar's Mosville research and development center, after applying online on their website. There was no phone interview. It was a direct call for an onsite interview based on online application. The position was in combustion group.

Since they were interviewing me for a research position I was expecting the focus would be on technical aspects. But, to my surprise it was completely behavioral. This was a complete "Targeted Selection" interview. It was a panel interview with 3 people. All of them had similar questions, and were asking questions by reading their printouts. The questions are mainly aimed at giving specific examples from your previous experiences in dealing with different scenarios.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Describe a challenging task that you had to accomplish? And how did you accomplish it?
      2) Tell us about a skill that you did not have and the process you went through to acquire them?
      3) Describe a scenario where you were doing something in a wrong way and later corrected it?
      4) A scenario where you evaluated gains and risks about doing something and at the end decided not to do it
    • 1) A scenario where you had to focus on attention to detail
      2) An example of working in a group
      3) Hostility with a coworker and how you resolved it?
      4) Any experience with putting in place safety and operation procedures
      5) What contributions are you leaving behind at your previous work place?

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar in November 2011.

In early Oct. I got an on-campus interview. Didn't hear anything for about a month but was pleased to receive an offer to do an on-site interview in the Peoria area. I interviewed for a position in: Leadership and Technical Development Program - Product Development Track

Went out to a nice meal the night before with hosts and other interviewees.
    My host was around at various points throughout the interview day including picking me up to take me from the hotel to the engineering complex and a tour of Peoria afterward.

Interview day consisted of an introductory presentation to all interviewees, 3 different 1:1 interviews, a fine quality lunch, a tour, a presentation on benefits, and 1:1 time with the manager of the area you would be hired into. Overall it was a well run process that made me feel immersed into the company for a day, more so than other companies I've encountered.

The interviews were with 3 different managers including one who manages the division I would be hired into. The interview questions were behavioral based as have been described here. However, I would not go into these 'cold turkey'. I spent a decent amount of time 2 days before the interview practicing questions with someone and adding to my repertoire of scenarios to draw from.

I was informed the interviewers would have meetings to decide on candidates that same day. (I also understood that while there were multiple interviewees, we were not competing as we had all been picked for different positions). I received an offer by email about 1.5 weeks after my on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • How did you arrive at choosing your major?   Answer Question
    • Sometimes people you work with will be more challenging than others. How have you experienced this before and what did you do about it?   Answer Question
    I didn't not have any other offers at the time but the Cat offer was very good so I did not try to negotiate.

Engineering Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at Caterpillar in September 2011.

Called a month after applying for different position in another facility.

CAT arranged hotel, plane tickets, rental car and paid for all. Very professional.

Sponsor met me at hotel about hour after check in, took me to dinner, showed me around town, told me how to get to interview facility.

Interview started on time, given overview, what to expect, and what format (STAR).
    Three one on one interviews. Biggest problem for me was taking military experience and putting it in civilian terms.

Taken to lunch, given tour of facility between interviews.

Upon leaving, felt it went well, but not sure how well.

Biggest complaint? No time to check out the town besides when the sponsor drove me around at about 10pm.

Interview Questions
    • When did you have to tell a superior they were wrong?   View Answer

Job- Interesting
    People- Great
    Salary- Right side of the bell curve, before bonus.
    Benefits- Industry Standard.
    Relocation- Houston, we have a problem.

The relocation package was VERY generous. As it was written in my offer letter anyways.
    Housing:
    CAT uses Paragon as their relocation contractor. I fell under the homeowner plan for relocation.
    At departure, all closing costs, to include commission to be paid by CAT.
    At arrival end, all closing costs and normal fees, such as application, home inspection etc.. To be paid.
    "Price Protection" in that if I get transferred from Peoria, and the market is down, CAT buys my house.
    Moving:
    Full relocation, they send movers, I get paid to drive or they ship my cars and I fly there. Best package I have seen. Better than the Navy for sure.

Here is the problem. I can't sell my house. I'm upside down. No problem, I don't get selling benefits, right? WRONG. Since I can't sell my house, I lose ALL home related benefits, to include price protection if I move. Nevermind that NOT paying my commission saves CAT about $12-15k depending on sales price. This would be if I could come up with the cash to sell. I can rent it well above mortgage (rental market never crashed like home buying market here) so it makes sense to rent it out.

Next problem. Since I'm getting out of the Navy.. Paragon lady says I HAVE to use my "Home of Record" move from the Navy, CAT won't relocate me. For the non military, the home of record move is so when you separate from the service, you can move back to your hometown at government expense. Peoria is 1000 miles from my final duty station. My home of record is 400. Without even getting into the whole crappy movers that don't care that the Navy contracts, I would have to pay a few thousand out of pocket to have the Navy move me to Peoria.

I called HR, who was very nice, and explained that I think it's unacceptable that Paragon has removed my move benefits.. And that their messing with my initial offer has made the offer less competitive. That was without getting into I found it insulting that Paragon thinks it's OK to make me pay out of pocket to move when it's supposed to be covered because I have "benefits from the Navy' according to them.

It went three rounds back and forth with HR.. HR nice, but seems to have no power to negotiate. Paragon lady.. She acted like a real thing that rhymes with rich and was unpleasant.

CAT interview and offer was POSITIVE

Paragon, their contractor (and HR's inability to remind them they work for CAT) made it a NEGATIVE.

I offered to do a DITY move, which has me move my stuff in a Uhaul, where I could about break even, IF I would get the arrival home buying benefits.

PARAGON says "YOU CANNOT PICK AND CHOOSE WHAT YOU WANT".

I view Paragon cannot change my offer. Matters not what benefits I have coming from the Navy. I'm a veteran. I served 12 years and went to Iraq twice, Afghanistan once, and Somalia once. I'm being honorably discharged. I EARNED those benefits, not CAT.

CAT"s inability to keep their contractor in line.. Cost them an employee.

If they treated me like this with a move.. What's next? Telling me because I'm a 30% disabled veteran I have to use the VA for all my medical care (Much like the move, it does NOT work that way.. VA will only treat what got broken in the military)

Supply Chain RCCP Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar in February 2011.

I reached out to the hiring manager directly via e-mail and expressed interest in the job. He called me back about a week later, had a phone interview, and I flew to the office a few weeks later. The interview itself was very short and relaxed... mostly pain free. I didn't hear anything for a while but then a few months later I received an offer. I guess the downside with huge companies is that hiring freezes aren't all that uncommon.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't necessarily difficult, but they sought out completeness of answers. If my answer was incomplete in any way (you always know when it is), they would either push for further detail or just accept it and move on.   Answer Question