Caterpillar Interview Questions in Peoria, IL

Updated Sep 3, 2015

3.1

IT Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (East Peoria, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

You interview with three supervisor level employers. Two are from non-related fields and one from your field. The interviews are three one hour back to back interviews. They all follow the same flow and the questions are a bit different. Don't use the same example for the same interview but you can make them the same between different. The interviewers independently provide "marks" rating your interview. Then someone else sits down with the interviewers and picks the ones with the highest marks and chooses the person based on fit.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation(s) where something went wrong and what did you do about it   1 Answer

Negotiation

My offer was take it or leave it college recruitment.

Engineer - Test/Validation Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview followed STAR format. You'll be asked an open ended question and expected to include in your answer Situation, Task, Action, Resolution or near enough so that the interviewer can take the appropriate notes. This is the standard interview format for CAT. There were three separate one hour interviews done back to back to back. Many of the questions are vague and similar or I ended up answering different questions similarly. It's ok to reuse stories for different interviewers, but don't change the story. They will compare notes afterwards and that'll make you look untrustworthy. Best way to prepare is to look up sample questions and come up with some stories. I don't think they asked me any of the sample questions I prepared for, but I had stories ready to go. The worst thing you could is not have an answer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you didn't get along with a coworker.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when the task you were given had unexpected challenges.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Offer was formally given 11 days after the interview. You are allowed to negotiate, however as I countered, I was given the impression that there would not be a much higher off than the one given. Regardless, they bump it up slightly and added a healthy sign on bonus when I requested it.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

The interview will be completed by three current employees. Usually one is your boss, a fellow coworker and another manager that reports to the same general manager as your boss. The questions follow the SMART format, situation, measurable action, results and time. Each individual rates your score basically from a 1-5. After the interview, they make a consensus to determine what your overall score should be. Best overall score would either be offered the job or the top candidates might go through a second round interview.

Interview Questions

• Tells us about a time you had to lead a team through a difficult task.   Answer Question

Global Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

Targeted selection process entails your (future) boss asking you specific questions and several other people asking you similar questions to ensure the best candidate is objectively selected for the position

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to struggle with uncertainty   1 Answer

Data Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

First, I was contacted via e-ail to set up a 1 hour phone interview where the questions where all tell me a time you did/experience blank. For these questions, you use the STARs method which is to describe the situation, describe the task, describe your actions, and summarize the results. After the phone interview, I was invited to Peoria, IL. to interview in person. After they brought me to there cafeteria, we went up to the first interview. The interview questions were the same type as the phone but with a more personable affect. I ended up doing three of these interviews. After the interviews were all said and done, I went to lunch in the cafeteria, view a presentation by HR, and was taken to the visitor center. This concluded my day of interviews which lasted from 8:30am to around 3pm.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult person.   Answer Question

Powertrain - Lab Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Met with the Powertrain division manager first, then went over resume with both him and another manager from the division. After the briefing, we looked through the lab and I was quizzed on things I ought to know for the job. Lots of exposure to where I would work and letting me know what I'd need to do

Interview Questions

• How would you get rotation speed data on a gear shaft?   Answer Question

Human Resources/IR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

First apply online with resume and cover letter, then I received an email that invite me for a phone interview. The phone interview lasts one hour, there are two interviewers on the phone, and most questions are behavioral questions and situational questions. They didn't ask questions about my resume. Use STAR (situation, target, action, result) method to answer questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the hardest technic project you ever did, and what's the result?   Answer Question

Corporate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a behavioral interview. The interviewers themselves told me to answer using the STAR method. Tell me about your team work experience. Tell me about a time when you faced tension

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview for an IT security position was relatively relaxed. They asked about my experience running my home malware lab and a few other things on my resume. Very easy to talk to, no weird "big corporation" questions. They won't hire you if your GPA is below 3.0 though. My offer was rescinded after I told them my GPA>

Interview Questions

• Tell us about "xyz" on your resume. Then they'll ask you questions about your relevant experience.   Answer Question

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

Formal, ask questions related to my resume. Was more formal then technical. I am through a staffing agency. Agency did ask me more then caterpillar. over all interview process was simple , focused on the product and the task needed to perform to fulfill the job duties.

Interview Questions

• What are your expectations carrier wise ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not negotiate as its a contracting position.