Caterpillar

Updated Nov 3, 2014
Updated Nov 3, 2014

3.1

79 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Leadership Development Program - Entry Level Design Engineer (Mechanical) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Started with an interview at my university, then got invited for a final round, on-site interview in Peoria. I had to call their travel agency to choose my own dates of travel (all covered by CAT).

You will get paired up with a host, an employee who has nothing to do with you getting hired or not. He took me and another candidate out to dinner the night I flew in. The next morning was interview day.

We get to one of their many buildings in Peoria (not HQ), and sit in on a briefing about the company and what they do. This was self-explanatory. A couple of the hosts got to share their experiences in the entry-level leadership development program.

Then it was on to three hours of interviews. All STARs questions. 3 hours. of STARs. I didn't think they made that many textbook, cookie-cutter questions, but apparently they do. You will get sick of answering them; I did. I like to think of myself as an overachiever, as if I've accomplished a lot outside of just schoolwork in my time at university. It seemed as if none of this really impressed them. I got a VERY old-school vibe from a lot of them.

First interviewer, engine guy. Old school guy, was asking somewhat dumb questions about previous projects (i.e. have I ever used 3D printing, which is pretty standard now). Could tell he knew a lot about diesel engines, not much else. Managerial level.

Second interviewer didn't even start with an intro, just fired away at STARs questions on his piece of paper. He asked if I had any questions at the end, to which I had to reply, "what do you do?" He was surprised he forgot to do introductions. Managerial level.

Third and final interviewer finally strayed a bit from the STARs questions, wanted to see if I would be a good fit for the company/Peoria. He was my favorite interviewer, and he asked the unexpected question below. I think after talking to him, he and I both realized I may not be a good fit for the company. Managerial level.

Throughout the interview process there were snacks and a 10 minute break between each interview.

Afterwards, they had "goodie bags" for us, a sling backpack with some pens/foam tractor/notebook/ etc... Then it was off to lunch at the cafeteria at CAT. All I'll say is, try to eat a large breakfast; lunch was not very good there.

Over lunch I realized that we weren't actually seeing any of the awesome development that CAT does, but instead seeing the things we were "allowed" to see. This frustrated me, because I wanted to see all that the company had to offer.

After lunch there was a presentation about benefits, followed by a trip to the tractor assembly plant down the road. We took a tour, it was okay; just assembling pretty big machinery. By assembling, I mean it was just blue collar workers bolting parts on; no parts were being manufactured/tested/autonomously assembled here. Wasn't actually cool until we saw one of them driving around. The tour was way longer than it needed/was scheduled to be (they showed us where/how new line workers get trained...), and I nearly missed my flight home because of that.

Overall okay experience, STARs questions got tedious. Would have liked to have seen more of the amazing development this company does, but instead only saw an assembly line which wasn't very active.

IT Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar in October 2014.

I applied through college and the companies website. The process took approximately 4 weeks. My first behavioral interview was in campus, which was followed by second interview in Peoria. The company flies you to Peoria, IL and provides you with nice accommodation. The interview is behavioral interview and you will be interviewed by 3 hiring managers. If you prepare and remember the STAR method then you are good : )

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to review several proposals and make a recommendation. What factors did you consider in your analysis?   Answer Question
    The first offer was very competitive and I did not need to negotiate

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Apply online after career fair and had a face to face interview at my school 3 days later. Heard back with an email offer within 2 months. Was required to maintain a certain GPA until the start of the internship.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a difficult problem or situation you were faced with and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Global Purchasing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Caterpillar in May 2014.

Interview was quick and in depth. Hiring manager asked about my past job experience and what qualities I have that would work well in this job. I was also asked about my individual characteristics that would make me a good fit for this company.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when I did not work well with someone and how did I handle that?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

The process took a weekinterviewed at Caterpillar in March 2014.

The Managers that interviewed me was really nice and made me feel comfortable.
    The overall experience was great. Everyone that I came in contact with at CAT made me excited to work there. :)

Interview Questions
    • It was a 30 minute interview and the questions were expected.
      For example, walk me through one of you experience on your resume.
      What's your greatest strength? , What's your life plan?
      Asking about computer skills and how to deal with working in a team.
        Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

One single phone interview with technical and behavioral questions. The interview was conducted by two engineers. So went well along the expected lines. They mostly stuck to situation type scenarios. I heard most of the interviews for EDP and intern positions are mostly behavioral type questions.

None

Senior Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

Behavioral and Situational questions

Interview Questions
    • They give you scenarios so you can be in control of all the answers. They will do fact checking after the interview.   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar in January 2014.

I applied for this position in August of 2013 it is now March of 2014. It seems that several holds were placed on hiring and the end of the year but I did phone interview in December and an on-site all expenses paid interview in January 2014. Being ex-military I got on board the old "hurry up and wait" mind set as I was warned might happen. Since I am currently employed I had no problem with it. Also, I have always had a good perspective on Caterpollar a real home-grown company as I am Illinois born andraised. Guess it's a kinda pride for no good reason other than blind faith in my home state and it's people. Gotta believe in something, right? In any case the team lead who I runs the projects for the department picked me up for breakfast from the hotel and we got to know one another as good ol illinois brothers do. He wasn't anything less than I expected after getting to know hom over a 1.5 hour phone interview. He's a sharp guy and I expected to meet similar folks on the team. I wasn't disappointed .... a very knowledgable staff that I'm guessing was hand picked as was happening with me as I am finding out... another long story.
    So, I sat through five interviews with the department heads and the software engineering group as well. All had thefamil8ar midwestern low-key and comfortable confidence with a healthy admiration for the work they do and a refreshing yet not surprising quote loyalty runny under it all. .... now remember I'm a bit patrotic and it always warms my heat to see the innocent love and devotion an engineer has for his lifes work.

Okay, I'll cut to the chase.... all semed to go well enough after 5he barrage 9f situational questioning..as I have 25 plus years to provide severay answers to the seemingly similar questions.

I was given a tour of thelabwere the project was contained and google-eyed the hardware as it was reminiscent of a familiar system I had previously worked on and with many good memories.

As we drove back to the hotel I felt as c9mfortable if not more with the lead and would com0ar3 it to a family kinda feeling.We both conveyed that we thought all went well and parted our ways .As I exited his car he said " you'll be hearing from us very soon!"

So after a couple days I got word that they were interested and felt I would be a good fit. However, the job posting would need to run out before an offer could be made. And that's where I'm at this week. Expecting a call any day.....

Even if, by some chance I don't get the position it was a great experience both technically and personally rewarding.

...... waiting for offer.

Interview Questions
    • None unexpected. All easily answered beca7se they were based on experience.   Answer Question

Leadership and Technical Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Caterpillar in November 2013.

First interview was an hour long phone interview. Was invited for second round interview after 3 weeks. Night before the interview the host took us out for dinner and answered any questions we had. . On site was 3 one hour long interviews and were 1:1. Was made an offer a month later.

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Caterpillar.

STAR method, combined panel interviews and individual interviews.
    Long and subjective

You have no negotiation phase. You have to ask for everything up front. At the point where they will say that they can not pay more or add vacation because of company policy and position requirements, you either have to let it go or risk not getting the job. In my case when they told me what the salary was, I stopped the interview and told them that I could not take a position for less than a specific amount.... They told me they could not do that, but wanted to continue the interview anyway. I kindly thanked them and said I would not waste their time, but they said let's finish the interview... we did, and I was made an offer. I replied back asking for more vacation time equivalent to someone with my experience at Caterpillar, but stated that it was not a deal breaker... they replied back with a new offer doubling the vacation.