Caterpillar Senior Associate Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 12, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

Behavioral and Situational questions

Interview Questions

• They give you scenarios so you can be in control of all the answers. They will do fact checking after the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Caterpillar

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

On campus interview followed by 3 rounds of technical interviews. Very repetitive, tiring and to some extent grueling. No surprising questions but expected surprising answers which was very interesting to think of now.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offered way less than what the market has to offer and so had to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

Interview Process was fairly simple. Phone interview conducted by immediate supervisor where most of the technical questions are covered. Questions linked to job applied for and work experience on your resume. Interview starts off with a brief background from the Hiring manager followed by a few questions. Answers preferred in the STAR format. Second round is at the work site conducted by 3 or 4 supervisors - mostly behavioral questions. Definitely required to answer questions in the STAR format. Simple questions just be clear and concise.

Interview Questions

• Based on the background given to you how do you think your work experience will help you perform well in this role.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate.

Senior Associate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2011.

Interview

Interviewed on campus for engineering rotation program. After discussing my education, background and aspirations the interviewer told me I likely wouldn't be a good fit in product engineering but an ideal candidate for R&D at Tech Center and he'd forward my credentials. Nothing came of that but I was extended an on site interview with the product team at their division offices. On site interviews were 3 separate 1-2-1 sessions with different managers. All STAR based (e.g. Tell me a time would worked on a project with a difficult team member and how you handled the situation, Tell me a time you had to learn a new skill quickly, etc.). Was offered the position the following day with a very competitive salary and relocation package.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult or unexpected. Just prepare for STAR method interviews and know your resume.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

5 rounds totally - 1 round Telephonic Technical - 1 round F2F Technical -3 F2F Scenario Based.The scenario based round mostly based on your previous experience, projects and how you handled them.

Negotiation

It was smooth

Senior Associate Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar in February 2012.

Interview

the interview was well designed, focusing mainly on characteristics of individuals.

Interview Questions

• describe the most awkward situation you have faced and how did you come out of it.   1 Answer

Senior Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Chennai (India)) in May 2011.

Interview

They have very lengthy process for a day. Interview started morning 9 A.M and lasted till 9 P.M, The technical questions were really challenging the fundamentals. the interview committee was with high technical stewards. The treatment was homely and provided enough comfort during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Response Analysis explanation on mode superposition method and shape functions and weighted residual method etc.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Chennai (India)) in July 2010.

Interview

One technical round over telephone; One technical round face to face; Three Manager Rounds (Behavioural, Design, Attitude); No HR round; Offer received in two days after interviews;

Interview Questions

• Tell me one situation where you did not have enough technical knowledge for required task and how did you manage it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer itself was reasonable... But no negotiation was applicable.