Caterpillar Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through a referral, process took a couple weeks. Two 1 hour interviews with 2 different interviewers. All behavioral questions which didn't allow me to show my technical skills even though I was applying for a software position. Never heard back even though the interviewer said they would keep me posted.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to resolve a conflict within a group.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Caterpillar

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Dallas, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

Took around 7 weeks. But got offered a position. Slow and painful process!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to make an unpopular decision   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation. Was a good offer!

Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Aurora, IL) in July 2011.

Interview

Nice people. Interviewed by HR, Super, 2 Team leads. 1 hour on Software fundamentals ... know your stuff. This was for a contract-to-hire position.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected or too difficult. Just long and inclusive of several software areas related to the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Accepted contract. Never offered a permanent position. Left after 1 year.

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in September 2009.

Interview

Got call from recruter, phone interview as I was in other state, asked me my C++ and OOD skills. Most of them were concepts and also asked me to give examples.

Interview Questions

• What is inheritage in OOD concept? Show an example how you used it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

NA

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Chennai (India)) in August 2013.

Interview

Basically, for the first round, questions were related to coding, general aptitude, and verbal aptitude. Good thing is that there was no writing of snippets but just MCQs. Coding questions section was of most importance, where a single, lengthy code was given and the output was to be guessed for different statements given. The second round was GD. Actually seems easy but this is the round where they downsized the shortlisted people into half. The last round was HR. Make sure you know all about the projects you have mentioned in the resume, because they pose questions only based on the information poured in there.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2011.

Interview

This position is a 3-year assignment as a Supplier Program Manager, leading a talented multi-skilled technical support non-EXPAT team located in PRC China. The individual will manage employees performing activities related to implementation, training and execution of the Manufacturing Innovation Center (MIC) requirements. The supplier program manager will forecast, coordinate, obtain, and manage personnel and resources (facilities, services, equipment and tools) to meet project and daily operating requirements. Review, approve and implement facility, equipment and service plans to maximize productivity and ensure safety, security, environmental and regulatory compliance. Provides approval and/or guidance of workgroup technical approaches, products and processes. Communicates across stakeholders to report status and concerns, and to achieve compliance with Boeing procurement strategy and contractual compliance. Analyzes suppliers capacity/capability to support Boeing procurement and AVIC strategy for future work statement. Develops methods to measure key performance indicators, analyzes performance data and prepares visual aids to lead periodic performance reviews. Oversees complex work movement projects by verifying that the elements of the work movement plan are credible and complete. Coaches, counsels, mentors and provides developmental opportunities and job assignments to enhance employee performance and expand capabilities. Provides on-going developmental feedback. Recognizes contributions of individuals and teams to improve employee satisfaction and retain a skilled and motivated workforce. Conveys organizational messages to facilitate the accomplishment of workgroup, project or process goals. Proactively communicates with employees, peers (e.g., fellow first-level managers) and customers.

Interview Questions

• supplier, factory customer, supplier management, support personnel, and all levels of supplier personnel. Ability to communicate in Chinese and work experience in new programs are added benefits. Success will require the ability to establish   1 Answer