Caterpillar

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Marketing

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview Details – Campus recruiting - 30-40 minutes' interview with S.T.A.R questions. There were 2 interviewers - one as a manager and the other as a new employee who has campus recruiting experience.

Interview Question – more like general. I felt a bit difficult when Eg. What was your big failure?   View Answer

Technical Marketing

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview Details – Went to my University Career Fair and was told to apply online through the University recruiting website. I sent in my resume and was offered an interview. The interview was an hour long with 2 half hour sessions with 2 interviewers. The questions were behavioral based and pretty standard. They told me that they would call me for an on-site interview if selected but they didn't do that and gave me an offer instead.

Interview Question – Tell me about a situation when you faced a difficult customer and what did you do in that situation?   Answer Question

Peoria, IL

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Caterpillar in December 2011.

Interview Details – Initial contact at a conference where I spoke with a representative and handed them my resume. Applied online almost immediately after. I was contacted about 2 weeks later and set up a phone interview that last about an hour. Very friendly and knowledgable interviewer. Passed phone interview and was flown out the night before interview and was taken out by a very friendly employee in a relaxed environment.

Morning of interview I was taken to breakfast, orientation about the specific program, drug-test and three 1-hour interviews. They ask you to use the STAR technique to answer their situational/behavioral questions. Prepare before hand with your answers to the most common questions - it's not just about answering the question but about being able to relate your experience with the position you are interviewing for. Honestly, everyone was very knowledgable, gave active feedback and even took time after the interview time to talk some more.

Depending on your interviewers you will have either employees that go question by question and others that will choose to give you 1 or 2 question that they like. Yes, they did have "topics" for a set of question but the as long as you answer the question and know what they are asking for - you will do fine. It's ok to ask to repeat the question and usually they will give a paraphrase on what they want to find out.

Chances are if you are interviewing for them at HQ you have some great qualifications and have passed at least two screenings. At this point it is just about finding a fit for you within the company and if you think the company is a good fit for you.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when a policy, process or procedure changed in a middle of a project or situation - how did you adapt?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not attempt to negotiate yet, but will once official letter comes in.

Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Caterpillar in October 2011.

Interview Details – The first interview took place on campus in which 2 interviewers asked STAR based questions. After completion of the first interview, email contact was made to schedule for a second round interview in Peoria Illinois. The second round interview in Peoria consisted of four, one hour interviews, in which different professionals asked similar STAR based questions. Travel accommodations were provided. In my case I was contacted back 2 weeks after the interview asking for 3 additional weeks to make a decision. I allowed 4 weeks to pass before I recontacted to inform that I had other pending offers. At that time I did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Recall an incidence in which you had to complete a task in which you did not agree with. How did you complete the task?   Answer Question
  • Have you ever had to work within a group in which individuals shared differences and how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Worked for Caterpillar? Contribute to the Community!