Cathay General Bancorp Interview Questions in El Monte, CA

2.0

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Loan Assistant (Part-time) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Monte, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cathay General Bancorp in January 2012.

I was invited to the corporate headquarters for an afternoon pre-screening interview with HR. I liked the style of the office spaces, and the employees seemed very friendly with each other. While I was waiting for my interview, I noticed that most of the groups of colleagues going in and out for lunch together chatted in either Mandarin or Cantonese. As a Chinese-speaker myself, this cultural aspect of the firm appealed to me.

My HR interviewer was not a Chinese-speaker, but she/he was mentioned that she/he enjoyed celebrating different Chinese holidays with the firm. After some light chatting, I was asked to take a computer skills test on a particularly old version of Microsoft Excel. The test issued by the brand "Prove It!" was a series of tasks in Excel and Word that I had to complete within a given time period. It was not difficult, but sometimes the software would not allow me to use common keyboard shortcuts for Excel. And, occasionally, the testing software would not allow me to use the right-click function on a standard mouse.

After the skills test, my typing speed was evaluated. I was given a practice text and five minutes to copy it. Then, I was given the real text, which was about 25% longer than the practice text. Unfortunately, I am only a 40 wpm typist, so I missed the last sentence. Typing speed is something I should work on.

Lastly, I was asked to write a hand-written essay describing my skills and explaining how I was a good fit for the position in consideration. I was given the essay prompt, a pencil, and a timer set for about 10 minutes.

Following all these tasks, I was brought into my interviewer's office for a one-on-one interview. At this point I was asked some basic behavioral questions including self-evaluative things like strengths and weaknesses. At the end, my interviewer asked if she/he could keep my materials for any future positions that I might be a better fit for. A week later I got a very nice formal letter in the mail indicating my rejection; the letter was hand-signed by the head of HR, which was a nice touch.

Interview Questions
    • What would you previous supervisor say is your greatest weakness?   View Answer

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Monte, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cathay General Bancorp in April 2008.

HR contacted me to do preliminary interview. I was then scheduled to meet with several senior executive manager for one on one intereview. The process was a little long with nothing too hard.

Interview Questions