Cathay Pacific Flight Attendant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2015
Updated Apr 8, 2015

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cathay Pacific (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

1. There was a session on an introduction of Cathay Pacific. Then flight attendants came into the room for any open questions. I encourage applicants to ask questions.

2. They split the applicants into groups. Each group has about 7-10 people. (One group will be asked to go into another room:
A) They ask you to work as a team to figure out each others birthday and line up according to the months.
B) They ask you individually to tell everyone what are you currently doing, tell us about yourself, and what languages do you speak? according to from the order or people's birthday.
C) They place three items on the table for you to prioritize which items are most important. They give you a few minutes to think about it to yourself and then you share your ideas with your group to come up with the best solution.

3. When I was done, you swap with the other group to do height reach and language assessment test. They ask you to read a passage in your second language and had a conversation with you in your language.

That was it for the first round of interview.
They let you know you will get a call back on the same day or the next day or within one to two weeks.

Interview Questions

• What languages did you speak?
    Tell us about yourself.
    What are you currently doing?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cathay Pacific

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cathay Pacific (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied last year and they invited me to join the first group interview this March. They offered 3 time session on 3 different day, for a total of 9 session. Each session had about 30 people. At the beginning, they did a PowerPoint presentation about company background and benefit. Then current flight attendant came and answered any question. Second, they split the applicants into groups. Each group has about 10 people and will be asked to go to another room. They asked you to introduce yourself (your name, language you speak, current job). Then, you were given 2 minutes to read the question and brainstorm. Our question was ''what characteristics should the best employee have.'' Then, you were given about 10 minutes to discuss with your group and came up with three characteristics. After the group was done, you swap with the other group to do 208cm reach test and language assessment test. That's it for the first interview. For the second interview, 4 sessions with a total of 48 people. You was assigned to a table before you got in. First, introduce yourself (your name, language you speak and one interesting thing about you). Then, given a topic and you had 2 minutes to brainstorm and about 5 minutes to discuss with group. Our question was ''according to CX mission and vision, as a flight attendant, how can you provide outstanding service. The group had to come out with 4 points and each member had to present 1 point in front of everyone. Then, you were called to 1-on-1 interview. Interviewer first talked about wages and benefits, then started asking questions. All of them are common interview questions about customer service and behavioral questions, such as tell me a time when you deal with angry customer. Last, interviewer asked you to read out loud a story and asked you questions about the story.

Interview Questions

• 1. Why do you want to become flight attendant?
      2. Tell me a time when you handle customer complaint.
      3. Tell me one thing that your boss think you need to improve.

Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cathay Pacific (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was late and I missed the little orientation at the beginning of the interview, but every thing else goes well. They have you reach to a certain height and have you introduce yourself in a group discussion.

Interview Questions

• what is the reason for you to apple for this job?   1 Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cathay Pacific.

Interview

Usually 3 rounds of interviews, first one is general selection which means your resume was good enough to get you in the door,they do basic height reach test, introduce yourself in font of a group of others, and ask you questions :why do you want to become a flight attendant? What's your experience and education? Is this your dream job?..ect. basic questions. Nothing too difficult or out of expectation.

The interview was held in a very nice hotel conference room, it's formal and top-notch. It's good to be prepared, too stressed out would not help you express yourself in front of base manager, senior crews and other interviewees. Be warm,friendly,but professional are the keys!

The office staff and managers are very friendly and helpful, they also offered a free questions time to let you ask current crews your concerns at the interview!

Negotiation

They offer extremely good benefit package, nothing much to negotiation if you are ok with the pay.

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Cathay Pacific (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Arm Reach, they said 208cm. But it is wrong. More like 212cm. Group discussion..not enough time..interviewer do not bother. English and Mandarin Assessment. But seems they only hire 1 or 2 but many people interview.

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at Cathay Pacific.

Interview

This was a while ago but this is as much as I can remember. I applied NY base Aug 2013, got a call Apr 2014 asking if I was still interested to interview in May. Just like that, no pre screening or anything, seemed to me they just called everyone who submitted a resume......
    Got there very early, chatted with a few candidates, interview was late because they were not done w the previous group. You could clearly see they did not even filter the candidates before that first interview, which I thought was unprofessional because they are wasting people's time.
    They did a presentation about the company and the job, after that some people were brought to another room for the group interview, the rest stays in the room to conduct reach test and language assessment. The language test was very sketchy because you are just in a corner and they ask you to read from the paper, then ask you a question in the language and that was it.
    Group interview question I remember was one of those question posted on here before but I cannot recall which one. After that they tell you that if you do not hear anything for 2 weeks you are considered unsuccessful.

Here is my second experience with them Hong Kong base.

Applied late Aug 2014 email mid Sep to join recruitment day late Sep.

Arrived at Cathay City (Hong Kong) very early, apparently they schedule people with different time slot but if you get there early they squeeze you in for the talk anyway. You give them application, resume, passport photo and HK ID, then proceed into the hall, meanwhile they do the reach test as you walk down to sit. They do the talk, now they bring you upstairs.

First group interview was pretty good but definitely unpredictable. You get these cards on your table and you have to discuss amongst the group and rank the cards, I got Olympic Games and you have to rank which game to be eliminated first and explain yourself. I just did my best, talked and maintained eye contact, I passed.

Second group process was long. You have a debate then you have a role playing. This is the time where you get very comfortable with the other candidates, which should be a good thing but it's not. And I will explain why.
    If you are selected in the interview, then you go have lunch, and return for English assessment and will be given a final interview date which will be one on one.

Cathay Pacific do not like people who are confident. They like people who can be easily trained, easily manipulated so to say. If you really want the job and are a very confident person, you need to act like you are very scared the whole time and not confident. I am so serious about this because when I got sent home after the second group interview, some other candidates and I left together and we were evaluating the people who got to stay, non of them appeared to be a confident person at all, they are all the submissive ones. So do not show personality, then you will do fine. Also I read somewhere that if you English is awesome you will get selected, that is complete bull. All the ones who have studied aboard or live in a western country were eliminated (because of the confidence issue).

Do not be upset if you fail because like I said in the beginning, they don't have a pre screening process like other companies, you just go to the first interview without any personality test or video, phone interview. So you can imagine they have so many reasons to reject people in the first interview. Personally I think it's a horrible experience, complete waste of my time and money, I will probably never apply them again.

Good luck!

Flight Attendant Interview

Interview

It was really a good experience of the interview of Cathay Pacific. The people are nice and professional. First they explained the company history and the job nature to the candidates. Then group activity to discuss a certain topic. After that, you will need to pass their language test by reading a paragraph in another Asian language. And of course, there is a height measuring by touching 208cm. If everything goes well, the HR will contact you to attend the second interview!

Interview Questions

• Need to participate in the group brain storm, and show the team work spirit.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cathay Pacific (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

This is for SFO base for the January 2014 hires.
    I applied in Dec via email and they called me back in early Jan to set up an interview for mid Jan. They gave me three days to choose from, morning or afternoon (6 in total). They sent me an email shortly after confirming apt & directions to where it would be held.
    Be dressed properly for an interview, professional business attire. They called us all into a room (roughly 25 people) and showed us a short presentation about Cathay. Next, they pulled a group of about 6-10 people in a separate room to do a group interview. The rest of the group does a reach test to 208cm without shoes. They do language assessment; you answer simple questions in your language and read a few lines.
    For the group interview, they ask everyone to introduce themselves; name, current job, and language. They give everyone one topic and you brainstorm on your own for a few minutes. You then discuss the topic amongst yourselves while staff observes. What are three characteristics that helped Cathay win Best Cabin Crew? You work as a team to choose three most important qualities. Make sure you speak up and don’t be overlooked, but don’t interrupt other people or try to take over the whole conversation.
    They called me at the end of the week and let me know I passed the first interview and set up the second interview a week later. Again, there were three days, morning or afternoon. They emailed me confirming apt and list of document copies I would need to bring. This includes passport photos.
    For the second interview, the group was cut in half, about 15 or less people. We were divided into groups of 4-5 people. You were given a few minutes to brainstorm your topic and then discuss amongst your group. “What are the characteristics that make a good flight attendant?” We each had to come up with a point so we can stand up and present it to the whole group. Then, we had to fill out some paperwork, this includes background check and visa application. As we were sitting, they would call a person to do one on one interview.
    For the one on one, smile a lot and be yourself. They are very sweet people and even though it was intimidating at first, I found it easy to open up to them. They asked me to tell me about myself and about my current job. They asked very basic customer service related questions such as “tell me about a time where you had to deal with a difficult customer.” The interview was about 20 minutes, after this and all your paperwork is handed in, you are free to go.
    They called me at the end of the week to let me know I was selected for April training! The offer was subject to passing background check and medical exam. They gave me a time period within two weeks so I could choose a day to do the medical exam, morning or afternoon. They emailed me the apt confirmation and let me know there will also be an English assessment afterwards.
    For the medical exam, they did a urine, blood, vision & hearing test. They also took an x-ray of my chest area. After, I met with a staff to do the English assessment. The reading portion included reading a story and answering multiple choice questions. There was also choosing the best word to complete the sentence part. For the hearing test, you had to listen to a conversation on earphones and at the end answer some questions about it. When you complete both tests, they let you know if you passed.
    They sent me an email two weeks after the second interview stating my background check was cleared. They are very thorough with this and they will contact your references. One and a half weeks after my medical exam, they sent me another email stating the orientation date and time and that I should be expecting an offer package in the mail.
    I think the interview process went very smoothly. I love how they call you immediately after each process and let you know the results and don’t dangle you on a string. It seems like a lengthy process, however, this is a very special job and they need time to apply for a visa if you are hired. If you are motivated and you’re passionate about being a flight attendant, I would say it is very much worth it. I wrote this long detailed interview process so future hires will know what to expect. I hope this helps someone who is looking for a position with Cathay.

Interview Questions

• What is the purpose of a flight attendant?   1 Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cathay Pacific (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

This is my first interview. I dress up nice and wait outside the interview room. I try to talk with other people while I am waiting. This is a good time to talk to people because there may some spies near you and check you out. Then we line up for register. Be sure to bring all the documents. We walk in and sit down for the powerpoint slide show. The slide show is about Cathay Pacific's history, job descriptions, benefits etc. Be sure to take notes while you are listening. After the slide show, they will open for questions. Try to be active in this section. After that, the Cathay Pacific staff start to divide people into groups for group interview. You walk into another room and wait for the staff to come in. We have to introduce ourselves. It will be good if you have a long self introduction. Then we have our group discussion. My question is: What traits and skills help the Cabin Crew win the "World best Cabin Crew", with reasons to support your ideas. Remember to have reasonable reasons. Listen to what other people say and mark down their points. Then the staff will ask you to choose the most three important points and to talk about it. Language test and height testing will be after the discussion.

Interview Questions

• What traits and skills help the Cabin Crew win the "World best Cabin Crew", with reasons to support your ideas   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cathay Pacific (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

This interview process was for Cathay Pacific's LAX BASE CREW April 2014. I first saw that Cathay Pacific was hiring through Indeed.com and noticed there was a forum already set-up since almost 5 years ago with people talking about how the process goes. I applied back in September 2013. Process of getting your application in would be to send in your resume to the email they provide. I also sent a cover letter along with my resume in hopes of getting a call back from Cathay Pacific. Within a few days of sending in my resume, I received a phone call stating they received my resume and would like to set up a group interview with me. I had 3 choices of 3 different days with 3 different times. The first group interview started off in a room of about 30 people. They gave a brief overview of Cathay Pacific but not much into detail. You had the option to ask their current Flight Attendants any questions. This would be the best time to ask questions because interviewers are already judging everyone from this point. After people were done asking questions, they split the group into 3 groups of 10. The first group of 10 are sent to a different room and this is where they exam how you work well with a group. They give you a topic, you have 3 mins to think and 10 mins to discuss and come to a final decision. After your group is done, you go back to the other room and do a height reach test along with a basic language test of your fluent language. They told us we would hear from them by the end of the week if we pass the first round but I received a call the same night stating i had passed the first interview and to schedule a second group interview along with a 1:1 interview. The second group interview are broken down into much smaller groups. 3 groups of 4 and was given another topic, after discussing with your group, you are to present your topic and answers individually in front of everyone and fill out paperwork afterwards. While filing out paperwork, you are called one by one to interview. After that, you are done and are told if you pass, you will find out by the beginning of the following week. I was unfortunately not called. Overall, it is time consuming but it is definitely worth it if this is where you see yourself. Although this was my second time, they do encourage everyone who does not pass to definitely try again.

Interview Questions

• What skills/traits should an awarding flight attendant have?   Answer Question