Cato

15 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

First Assistant Manager Interview

First Assistant Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cato in December 2010.

Interview Details – Interview includes questionnaire, personality testing, and sales floor interview covering customer service and merchandising skills. Manager will call for interview and set up a date and time to meet in store. Some managers prefer to administer personality testing first. If this test is not passed, the interviewer can NOT be hired.

Interview Question – The personality profile is made to confuse you by repeating questions in different ways. They also want the "correct" answer, not the "honest" answer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Ask for the highest amount possible AFTER an offer is made. Managers do not want to look at a high expected wage on the application but are more willing to accommodate you after you have passed all interview levels. Also keep in mind there is a cap that the manager is allowed to pay employees. If you believe you are worth more than that then fight for it. The manager can override the cap but will have to get approval from the District, Regional, and Territorial managers so make sure its worth her time.

Very Easy Interview

Radcliff, KY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cato in June 2013.

Interview Details – You have to print out an application online, fill it out and return to store. Store manager told me when I dropped it off that she would call me to set up an interview. I had the interview about a week later (you have to be 18) and I was only 17, so we had the interview on my 18th birthday. Typical sales associates questions: What would you do if a friend asked for your discount? What would you do if you caught someone stealing? How would you increase sales? Stuff like that. After the oral part of the interview, I completed an Orion, just a personality test on a big scan-tron thing and store manager faxed it over. Took like 10 minutes for the results and when she said I was clear, I had to fill out a background check form, contingency letter, and a couple of other things I think. Store manager said to come in on the following Monday for the 2nd part of the interview, (sales floor part) and I said okay. I called Monday morning to verify no changes had been made to my interview time, and store manager said I didn't have to come in, I got the job. However, I didn't start right away because my background check took like 3.5 weeks to come back!!!! Although I did not do the sales floor interview, I know what is expected of the applicant. In the sales floor interview, you have to walk around the store and point out key trends to the manager. After, she'll have you pick out 2 separate outfits, accessories and fully clothed. One dressy, one a bit casual. Just have good fashion sense and persuasion skills, because she'll make you sell the clothes to her.

P.S. - I have worked with Cato for nearly a year. I absolutely love the people I work with and for, I love playing dress up with the mannequins and seeing people feel beautiful in an outfit they didn't think they could wear. Cato is an amazing place to work in the fashion industry, good luck!

Interview Question – Since there were no unexpected questions, I'll answer the questions I listed above.
1.) What would you do if your friend asked for your discount?
2.) What would you do if you caught someone stealing?
3.) How would you increase sales?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – I wasn't given a negotiation phase, I didn't even know what I was making or what the job title would be. I had to learn from a separate sales associate on my first day how much I made, and what I was.

Woodstock, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cato in June 2013.

Interview Details – About an hour long interview process which covers basic questions and information. Sometimes a trip out to the floor to piece together 2 outfits (dressy and casual). A BS personality test is included and if you have any morals of any kind, do not expect to be hired.

Interview Question – What would you do to help improve sales if they were low.   Answer Question

Laurinburg, NC

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Cato in August 2009.

Interview Details – very straight to the point asked questions about background and why i would be a great asset to the company and gave me a chance to voice my opinion also. very successful interview.

Interview Question – none of the questions were difficult.   View Answer

Franklinton, LA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Cato in August 2011.

Interview Details – I had the typical interview, what can you bring to the company, what words best describe you etc. Then I had to pick out three different outfits and matching shoes and accessories. I had to take a "math" test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I was not willing to negotiate even though I have a bachelor's degree.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
DeRidder, LA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cato in January 2012.

Interview Details – The first phase of the interviewing process involved a personality/skills test. I was designated an allotted time to complete the skills section of the test; which involved basic math skills and some algebra. The personality test had some strange questions on it, such as, "You belong to a country club". You would then rate the truthfulness of the statement on a scaled 1 to 5 measurement; 1 being completely untrue, and 5 being true.

Interview Question – Provide to me a sales pitch for a new customer looking to purchase a nice summer outfit for her graduation day?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiations are never very comfortable, but I think that overall the process was fair and reasonable. I was able to negotiate my salary and schedule. Be flexible is the best advice I can give; Cato's would not have called anyone in for an interview if they were not interested in ironing out the details.

Very Easy Interview

Nashville, TN

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Cato in December 2010.

Interview Details – Painelss

Interview Question – Have you ever seen someone steal something.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – no negotiations

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Columbia, SC

The process took a day - interviewed at Cato in November 2009.

Interview Details – First the store manager interview you then the district manager. You must fill out an Orion form and back ground check, and sign contingency form. To receive your results can take few days to a week.

Interview Question – There isn't any just standard questioning that you can find on an informative how to interview website   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation is not something I'm pleased about. They aren't much for negotiating, they tend to have their set cap off amount in mind and not at all willing to go past that.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cato in March 2007.

Interview Details – The district manager who interviewed me was very condescending, which was surprising considering I had worked as an assistant manager with another, much larger company. The store manager also interviewed me, and she was incredibly disorganized during the interview, often leaving me waiting for long periods of time since she had messed up her scheduling.

Interview Question – None of the questions were hard, just condescending.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was really no negotiation

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Cato in January 2008.

Interview Details – Filled out Application turned it in had two 3 different interviews one with a store manager, district manager, and regional. The first interview was with a store manager and I had to take a test with different questions and I also had to put together some outfits. The second interview was with district manager same intereview questions as the first interview along with another test. I then waited about 4 days and got a call to do the third interview which was almost the same as the last two interviews i did. I was offered a job after the last interview.

Interview Question – What will you do to make this company better?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They will negotiate just a little so go in with goal in mind but they pay is not even average.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cato

Worked for Cato? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cato interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cato employees and interview candidates.