Cato

Updated Nov 4, 2014
Updated Nov 4, 2014

2.6

Assistant Buyer Interview

I applied online. My experience matched the listed qualifications. I received an email from a recruitment specialist with Cato to set up a phone interview. I replied that same day and then never heard back from them. I sent her a list of times again and still never received a response. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't get the opportunity to be asked any questions.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

The interview process was extremely lengthy. There seemed to be a lot of unnecessary testing, particularly with what turned out to be the low par that was offered. It seems to take a very long time before the second interview is scheduled with the district manager and even longer before you are given an offer or start date. This seemed to be a very long and unnecessary process for a position that was barely over minimum wage at the associate level. The only benefit was having the ability to work up to the Store Manager level, but still with lower pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Radcliff, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Radcliff, KY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cato in June 2013.

You have to print out an application online, fill it out and return to store. Store manager told me when I dropped it off that she would call me to set up an interview. I had the interview about a week later (you have to be 18) and I was only 17, so we had the interview on my 18th birthday. Typical sales associates questions: What would you do if a friend asked for your discount? What would you do if you caught someone stealing? How would you increase sales? Stuff like that. After the oral part of the interview, I completed an Orion, just a personality test on a big scan-tron thing and store manager faxed it over. Took like 10 minutes for the results and when she said I was clear, I had to fill out a background check form, contingency letter, and a couple of other things I think. Store manager said to come in on the following Monday for the 2nd part of the interview, (sales floor part) and I said okay. I called Monday morning to verify no changes had been made to my interview time, and store manager said I didn't have to come in, I got the job. However, I didn't start right away because my background check took like 3.5 weeks to come back!!!! Although I did not do the sales floor interview, I know what is expected of the applicant. In the sales floor interview, you have to walk around the store and point out key trends to the manager. After, she'll have you pick out 2 separate outfits, accessories and fully clothed. One dressy, one a bit casual. Just have good fashion sense and persuasion skills, because she'll make you sell the clothes to her.

P.S. - I have worked with Cato for nearly a year. I absolutely love the people I work with and for, I love playing dress up with the mannequins and seeing people feel beautiful in an outfit they didn't think they could wear. Cato is an amazing place to work in the fashion industry, good luck!

Interview Questions
    • Since there were no unexpected questions, I'll answer the questions I listed above.
      1.) What would you do if your friend asked for your discount?
      2.) What would you do if you caught someone stealing?
      3.) How would you increase sales?

View Answer
    I wasn't given a negotiation phase, I didn't even know what I was making or what the job title would be. I had to learn from a separate sales associate on my first day how much I made, and what I was.

Anonymous Employee in Woodstock, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Woodstock, VA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cato in June 2013.

About an hour long interview process which covers basic questions and information. Sometimes a trip out to the floor to piece together 2 outfits (dressy and casual). A BS personality test is included and if you have any morals of any kind, do not expect to be hired.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to help improve sales if they were low.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in DeRidder, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in DeRidder, LA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cato in January 2012.

The first phase of the interviewing process involved a personality/skills test. I was designated an allotted time to complete the skills section of the test; which involved basic math skills and some algebra. The personality test had some strange questions on it, such as, "You belong to a country club". You would then rate the truthfulness of the statement on a scaled 1 to 5 measurement; 1 being completely untrue, and 5 being true.

Interview Questions
    • Provide to me a sales pitch for a new customer looking to purchase a nice summer outfit for her graduation day?   View Answer
    Negotiations are never very comfortable, but I think that overall the process was fair and reasonable. I was able to negotiate my salary and schedule. Be flexible is the best advice I can give; Cato's would not have called anyone in for an interview if they were not interested in ironing out the details.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklinton, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklinton, LA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cato in August 2011.

I had the typical interview, what can you bring to the company, what words best describe you etc. Then I had to pick out three different outfits and matching shoes and accessories. I had to take a "math" test.

Interview Questions
    I was not willing to negotiate even though I have a bachelor's degree.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cato in December 2010.

Painelss

no negotiations

First Assistant Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cato in December 2010.

Interview includes questionnaire, personality testing, and sales floor interview covering customer service and merchandising skills. Manager will call for interview and set up a date and time to meet in store. Some managers prefer to administer personality testing first. If this test is not passed, the interviewer can NOT be hired.

Interview Questions
    • The personality profile is made to confuse you by repeating questions in different ways. They also want the "correct" answer, not the "honest" answer.   View Answer
    Ask for the highest amount possible AFTER an offer is made. Managers do not want to look at a high expected wage on the application but are more willing to accommodate you after you have passed all interview levels. Also keep in mind there is a cap that the manager is allowed to pay employees. If you believe you are worth more than that then fight for it. The manager can override the cap but will have to get approval from the District, Regional, and Territorial managers so make sure its worth her time.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

The process took a dayinterviewed at Cato in November 2009.

First the store manager interview you then the district manager. You must fill out an Orion form and back ground check, and sign contingency form. To receive your results can take few days to a week.

Interview Questions
    • There isn't any just standard questioning that you can find on an informative how to interview website   View Answer
    Negotiation is not something I'm pleased about. They aren't much for negotiating, they tend to have their set cap off amount in mind and not at all willing to go past that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurinburg, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurinburg, NC

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cato in August 2009.

very straight to the point asked questions about background and why i would be a great asset to the company and gave me a chance to voice my opinion also. very successful interview.