Cato

9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Radcliff, KY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cato in June 2013.

Interview Details – You have to print out an application online, fill it out and return to store. Store manager told me when I dropped it off that she would call me to set up an interview. I had the interview about a week later (you have to be 18) and I was only 17, so we had the interview on my 18th birthday. Typical sales associates questions: What would you do if a friend asked for your discount? What would you do if you caught someone stealing? How would you increase sales? Stuff like that. After the oral part of the interview, I completed an Orion, just a personality test on a big scan-tron thing and store manager faxed it over. Took like 10 minutes for the results and when she said I was clear, I had to fill out a background check form, contingency letter, and a couple of other things I think. Store manager said to come in on the following Monday for the 2nd part of the interview, (sales floor part) and I said okay. I called Monday morning to verify no changes had been made to my interview time, and store manager said I didn't have to come in, I got the job. However, I didn't start right away because my background check took like 3.5 weeks to come back!!!! Although I did not do the sales floor interview, I know what is expected of the applicant. In the sales floor interview, you have to walk around the store and point out key trends to the manager. After, she'll have you pick out 2 separate outfits, accessories and fully clothed. One dressy, one a bit casual. Just have good fashion sense and persuasion skills, because she'll make you sell the clothes to her.

P.S. - I have worked with Cato for nearly a year. I absolutely love the people I work with and for, I love playing dress up with the mannequins and seeing people feel beautiful in an outfit they didn't think they could wear. Cato is an amazing place to work in the fashion industry, good luck!

Interview Question – Since there were no unexpected questions, I'll answer the questions I listed above.
1.) What would you do if your friend asked for your discount?
2.) What would you do if you caught someone stealing?
3.) How would you increase sales?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – I wasn't given a negotiation phase, I didn't even know what I was making or what the job title would be. I had to learn from a separate sales associate on my first day how much I made, and what I was.

Woodstock, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cato in June 2013.

Interview Details – About an hour long interview process which covers basic questions and information. Sometimes a trip out to the floor to piece together 2 outfits (dressy and casual). A BS personality test is included and if you have any morals of any kind, do not expect to be hired.

Interview Question – What would you do to help improve sales if they were low.   Answer Question

Laurinburg, NC

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Cato in August 2009.

Interview Details – very straight to the point asked questions about background and why i would be a great asset to the company and gave me a chance to voice my opinion also. very successful interview.

Interview Question – none of the questions were difficult.   View Answer

Franklinton, LA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Cato in August 2011.

Interview Details – I had the typical interview, what can you bring to the company, what words best describe you etc. Then I had to pick out three different outfits and matching shoes and accessories. I had to take a "math" test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I was not willing to negotiate even though I have a bachelor's degree.

Very Easy Interview

Nashville, TN

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Cato in December 2010.

Interview Details – Painelss

Interview Question – Have you ever seen someone steal something.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – no negotiations

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Cato in August 2010.

Interview Details – Initially called in for one on one interview with the manager. Asked general questions about fitting in with the company and past work experience. Took the personality test which was the same as any others that I've taken. May

Interview Questions

Sales Associate

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cato in September 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was very easy going. Even if you do well on the 1:1 interview, you still have to take personality tests and if you fail, they will not hire you.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cato in September 2010.

Interview Details – I made sure than when bringing in my application that I spoke to management and quickly found out the manager's name. I was quickly called in for an interview after submitting my application which I printed out online. The manager was very friendly and accepting as well as the other workers. The process was overall quick and I was able to voice my needs as well as hear theirs.

Interview Question – What do you do to make a difference to each customer that walks through the door?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Cato in April 2009.

Interview Details – I picked up an application took it home to complete. I brought it back a week later to the store manager. Since I was already dressed professionally, she asked if I had time to do an interview right then and there. I said yes, was very happy. She asked me a few questions pertaining to my past experience and I got a job offer based on personality test and background check, got a call back a few days later and began working.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cato

Worked for Cato? Contribute to the Community!