Cavium Networks Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2014

3.2

RTL Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlborough, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cavium Networks in January 2012.

Got the interview from company info session in school. 1 on-campus interview and 3 follow-up phone interviews. Interviewed by people from different group: RTL, circuit and verification. They are all nice people to speak to. Technical questions are fairly basic but sometimes tricky. The entire process took almost two month and finally I got the offer.

Product Engineer Interview

First I got a call regarding my resume and then onsite interview

ASIC Design Interview

Initially one phone interview, then onsite for 5 rounds. The phone interview covered some basic knowledge of digital design, and the interviewer asked about some simple design questions. The onsite interview was focused on design questions, and was pretty tough for candidates who have little interview experience in ASIC design.

Interview Questions
    • Some interesting RTL/logic design questions. Pay attention to the performance/area of the design.   Answer Question

Senior Embedded Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Cavium Networks.

First round telephonic interview was good.
    Linux internals and networking concepts with Google doc session

Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cavium Networks in October 2012.

Initial interview on phone with HR then on phone with team's Director. Second one was technical and touched mostly aspects on programming like data structures and C pointers. Computer Architecture was also touched slightly.

Interview Questions
    • Difference between pointer and reference? Implementing Hash Table using Linked list   Answer Question

Temp Verification Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ithaca, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cavium Networks in October 2012.

I handed my resume through on campus recruiting event and got a phone interview one week after that. The interview was supposed to be half an hour but it took one hour. There were two groups of questions being asked: software and hardware. Software questions were mainly typical data structure questions. And hardware questions were about pipeline design.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe what are linked list, binary tree and hash table. What are the differences? What's the average number of nodes I should search before I reach my target (Big O)?   Answer Question
    • What is a "protected" variable?   Answer Question
    • what's a "private" method? How does that different from a "public" method?   Answer Question
    • What is a pipeline? Why we use it? Is there any problem with it?   Answer Question

Rtl Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boxborough, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boxborough, MA

I applied online - interviewed at Cavium Networks in September 2012.

Applied through company site. Got an interview call 1 week later.

Interview Questions
    • Priority arbiter in verilog
      Divide by 3 counter with 50%
        Answer Question

DFT Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlborough, MA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cavium Networks in February 2012.

Phone interview had a lot of basic design questions. Got called for an onsite interview which consisted of 6 back to back 1 hour interviews. Logic, Devices, Comp Arch, DFT, VLSI were covered in the interviews. Difficulty increased as I answered the questions. Some design questions were asked. Pipelining was asked in Comp Arch.

Senior Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlborough, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cavium Networks in August 2011.

It was more of going through my resume and testing my basics. Although I was not interviewing for design engineering position, one interview was completely on design stuff which I didnt do well. I was interviewed by 8 people on first day and they asked me to come back for another short interview which was done by 3 more people. They basically tested my problem solving skills and I got a job in a domain in which I had very little experience. This was a good opportunity for me to change domains and get wider exposure.

Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Cavium Networks in October 2010.

Started with a phone interview. That led to an interview appt where i was interviewd by 4 people. First person was the VP of verification. Asked general questions and a problem question regarding a C++ algorithm. Assume u had a list of some sort (array, hash, etc). Something like how would u sort and order the list efficiently so that the elements were in order. I think the list was of hw addresses. Typical bubble sort, etc not good enough. The other interview panel just wanted to know if i had some sense of C++ and Verilog understanding.

Interview Questions
    • Sort a list (array, hash, whatever you wanted) so the elements were in ascending order - the elements were hardware addresses.   Answer Question
    • Typical C++ and verilog questions. Virtual functions, pure virtual, overloaded arguements. Verilog: blocking/non-blocking, task, functions differences.   Answer Question
    VP of engineering was very cheap and rigid. Show several ways you can help and possibly help in the future and peg the amount you want. Open it up for discussion and ask him to support his offer - the VP of verification seems very factual and is flexible if you give a good answer.

Worked for Cavium Networks? Contribute to the Community!