Cbeyond

Updated Oct 27, 2014
Updated Oct 27, 2014

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cbeyond in January 2012.

I was contacted by the hiring recruiter about the position after posting my resume. I had previous experience in the industry. The interview process was easy but overall unprofessional. The first interview was basically just reviewing my resume. The second interview was pretty much more of the same, but the Area Vice President (Branch Manager) was also involved in the interview. The third interview was a field ride. This consisted of spending a day in the field with one of the more "tenured" reps. He has been there about 6 months. This was where the unprofessional ism really was exposed, but I knew to expect this from talks with people who worked at the company. I did take the job, only to find out that most of the people working there are ruthless and rude. Twenty-five year-old "managers" use intimidation and micro-management to boss you around and scare you to see if you have what it takes to make it at the company. Honestly, I have heard great things about the Atlanta branch, but the branch in Reston, VA did not come close to what I have heard about Atlanta.

Interview Questions
    Nothing. They offer you the lowest position and its take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Cbeyond in October 2011.

Cbeyond's interview process is surprisingly extensive, given the companies high turn-around and employee retention rate. It began with a phone call which lasted approximately 15 minutes. In this call the job is described and defined. You'll "walk through" your resume with the recruiter and at the end of the call you'll be asked to come into the office for an in-person interview. Following the in person interview with another recruiter, you'll have an in person interview with a team lead, a job shadow with another employee, and a final interview with the VP of your branch. There are five steps from first call to job offer, making for an extensive interview process.

Interview Questions

The job is all about getting to every door in your territory. I felt more like a solicitor and less like a competent person. The office is great and the energy is infectious, so declining was a tough decision.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cbeyond in September 2011.

A day in the life, walking door to door into crazy places selling marginal VOIP services. My day was 90* outside and I was full suit sweating my ass off, not for me. The Manager wanted me bad, but they want everyone bad.

It's a crazy cult

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cbeyond in September 2011.

Phone interview, in-person round 1, in-person round 2 with a ride along.

Interview Questions
    There's no negotiating. It's standard.

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Hiring process was quick and easy had 3 interviews in 2 weeks and was offered the job at the end of week two. Phone interview was first followed by and interview with a manager then the VP.

Interview Questions
    • No really difficult questions but they were some very technical questions about Cisco products.   Answer Question
    No negotiation at all it was a take it or leave it scenario.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Initial phone/skype interview with recruiter is fairly simple just reviewing your resume and experience. From there they'll offer you a chance to experience a "day in the field" - basically you shadow a TSR for a day and come back for an interview with the Sales Manager. The interview is a bunch of situational questions "name a time when...., what's most important to you money, recognition, etc......" the idea is to close the interview by asking for the job or to be moved on to the next step. If you get moved on you'll interview with the VPGM who manages that branch. In Houston you'll have to do a mock presentation with the VPGM and then you have to CLOSE for a meeting/deal.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult part of the interview process is cold calling on the shadow day because they'll ask you to take a "door" or two. Basically you want to make sure you mimic the verbage used by the TSR in other doors and be outgoing. Same thing in the mock presentation, be energetic and close for the next appointment or deal.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. It was base salary or no job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cbeyond in August 2011.

I sent my resume to one of my friends who had worked for Cbeyond in the past. The NEXT day I got a call from a recruiter who was extremely friendly. The phone interview lasted 15 minutes and was a general overview of my resume. After that I had an in person interview with the recruiter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cbeyond in July 2011.

At first everything was really great. I applied online then spoke to the branch recruiting manager, in which he offered me an in person interview. That interview was easy. I went through a total of 5 interviews. First the Recruiting Manager, then the Territory Manager, then the Field Ride, Market Director, then finally the VP. If you don't like the field ride, then you're not cut out for the job. I was fine with the field ride everything went really well. I was excited to finally get an offer from Cbeyond! But then everything went downhill. It is a driving position and it does say you have to have a satisfactory driving record. Well I had a reckless driving which is a pretty big offense but not as severe as a DUI. I was pushed by the Recruiting Manager to put in my notice at my previous job but I wanted to make sure I would be okay with my Reckless Driving. This had been on my application all along but no one had said anything. I was verballly confirmed I would be completely fine, no worries with my Reckless Driving. So I quit my other job. Then two days before I was supposed to start, they called and said that I couldn't start with them due to the Reckless Driving. Of course I was furious. It's very unprofessional to tell someone they will be fine with their background when in reality, they weren't. Everyone seemed to really like me, they talked it up as if I was a "slam dunk" for them. I was the best. But in reality, no one called to apologize to what happened to me, only my friend that worked there. To Cbeyond, you're just another number. They can replace you in a matter of seconds. They are always hiring cause someone either quit or gets fired. I'm glad I didn't end up working for this company.

Interview Questions
    • You have to literally beg them for the job. And sell yourself. If you don't do that, they won't continue to move you on to the next round.   Answer Question
    No Negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cbeyond in June 2011.

I was recruited by a headhunter who turned me over to the hiring manager at Cbeyond. They will bring you into the office for 3 interviews. First one is with the hiring manager, who asks a series of very extensive and structured questions. If you pass this interview, you will be invited to a ride along with one of the reps. After this ride along, you will interview with the sales manager. if you pass this one, you will interview with the VPGM or the Market Director.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Cbeyond in June 2011.

Three interviews total...First interview is similar to all initial meetings, mostly a "get to know you" session and see if you have the personality, ambition and knowledge to succeed. The second interview is a field ride with one of the sales reps to see what your day-to-day requirements would be. Following your field ride, you are asked to have a final interview with a manager and other upper-level supervisors to answer questions about your day and either offer you a position or tell you "good luck"

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions seemed to be standard for the interview process   Answer Question
    No negotiation