Cbeyond

Average Difficulty
26 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Cbeyond.

Interview Details – 3 Step process, meet with Recruiter, Field Ride, Meet with Manager.

Interview Question – Why should I hire you?   Answer Question

Santa Clara, CA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cbeyond in March 2010.

Interview Details – Both the phone interview and the on site interview were easy. After the initial two interviews there is a ride along, which is basically another interview. After the ride along, there is an interview with an executive who will offer to hire you.

At this point you will be hired, but have to go through 2 weeks of training. The two week training session is an extended paid interview, where they see if you can do the job and pick up the material. During the training you are tested everyday, and go out into the field to see how successful you can be.

Santa Clara, CA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Cbeyond in January 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted buy a recruiter who really pushed this position on to me. Told me the base salary range right away (which was slightly wrong) 46-52k .. I agreed to meet with the marketing director for hiring. The interview process with her seemed to go pretty well, it lasted about an hour and felt pretty good leaving. Then it became apparent what this company was all about. The person I interviewed with called me that night, and after basically telling me all my faults said she would like me to meet the Marketing Director which I agreed on .. But after that she told me that she would like me to meet him the very next day and that I was to put together a list of 20 company's with name and contact info to show the MD. Basically put a business plan or action plan together for my meeting time, which was 9am the next day.. Mind you she called me at 6:30pm.. So I threw something together, very basic .. I got to interview and he was 45 mints late meeting with me.. Bottom line he never looked at my plan and said I would here from the marketing hiring person buy the end of the day.. She called and said that they would move me along to the ride along which was all day 730am to 7pm.. But she always made me feel like I should be fortunate for getting to this level.. I have over 12 years of sales experience more than any other reps they have ... She also told me that I need to look more professional in my appearance???? I was wearing a 3 piece suit for my interview, i found that to be very rude.. And then to top it off they asked me to bring in bagels or donuts for the staff before my ride along.. So needless to say I called her the next morning to cancel my ride along and told her this was not the company for me... She then proceeded to blast me for canceling and said I was not on there radar anymore (which was fine with me for sure),..It seemed more of a cult then an opportunity ..

Interview Question – Why should they hire me   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – just not for me.. Made me feel like they were doing me a favor buy hiring me..

Very Easy Interview

Gardena, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Cbeyond in August 2010.

Interview Details – Contacted by two different recruitors; did research on the company and sounded ok as a backup job. I have extensive sales experience, and recently returned to college to complete my degree. The recruitor said I was "excellent for the position" and coached me thru the entire process. Set up an interview and met with the territory sales manager. Direct interview, explained what was required of me, and said I would be working under someone younger then me. I am 30 years old and have extensive sales experience. I was told that I had "too much inside sales experience".

I was asked what do I want financially? I said base salary is not the concern, something reasonable but "unlimited upside potential ( I made six figures at the top of my sales career), I guess that was a red flag, since most of the posts state that earnings range between 28-50k.

When I also asked,,,what does your top sales person do different than the rest? I could not get a straight answer. Reminds a lot of the brokerage business where there is high turnover...the sheep (newbies) do all the cold calling and quit, and the senior brokers (pick up the leads and close).

Looks like a good place to start your sales career; if you can knock on 60 doors a day for six months, you should learn something, (persistence, determination and hard work) and sales and closing ability--you can take it anywhere!

Interview Questions

• Its a young crowd--be prepared for skydiving; wine tasting etc. A lot of energy and social types--sales is lonely; we like team work; how do you feel about that?   View Answer
  • Why Cbeyond?   View Answer

Oak Brook, IL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cbeyond in January 2010.

Interview Details – Professional and believable until the ride-along day. During the daily morning meeting/class the presenter talked down to the 'class' and was unprofessional and rude. The smaller team meeting was a lot of the same- high pressure sales, putting sales reps down, then trying to motivate them back up to go out and do field work. Extremely unprofessional sales ride-along, 'interviewer'/sales rep lied about my involvement and responses in the interview. He went on personal errands (shopping) while leaving me in the car while we were supposed to be going door-to-door. He didn't want to drive me back to the office because he would miss the beginning of the bulls game, so he passed me to another sales rep at a gas station. He told me the interview was over and that I did not need to report back to the office (which was untrue), so I didn't. He also said I did 'great' and that he would give me a positive review, but did the EXACT opposite. I think he just didn't want any additional sales competition within the company.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Southfield, MI

The process took a day - interviewed at Cbeyond in February 2010.

Interview Details – Described the job duties very well. Proffesional. They have a sales recruiting company screen you then direct you to the HR depatment. Very intense and aggresive vibe from the employees.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – They want me to start training within 3 days. I couldnt because it wasnt enough time notice of my current employer

Anaheim, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cbeyond in March 2010.

Interview Details – I had several recruiters from all over the greater LA area try and shoehorn me into this job. I was initially reluctant after doing a little bit of research, but I decided that no harm could come from an interview.

I went through a phone interview and face-to-face, then they asked me to go on a field day. you show up at 7, and shadow a rep through his day, walking door to door and pitching the company.

I decided to not continue based on personal feelings about the company after the field day.

Interview Question – how do you feel about our company?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cbeyond in May 2008.

Interview Details – Day in the field

Interview Question – They ask you what you've done in the past and if you think you could handle the workload. As long as you close them, by asking what's the next step and when can we take it, while showing enthusiasm, you'll be good to go.   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Cbeyond in May 2010.

Interview Details – This position is beneficial for a select few individuals looking for an entry level position and are ready to join a frat or sorority team of kids. I've been unemployed for almost a year now, and I walked away from a $33K salary/full benefits opportunity with this company.........

My face to face interview, fine. It wasn't until I requested, and attempted to go on a ride along day (7:30am-7:30pm in which I would see if I was a right "fit" for the position) when I wrote Cbeyond off within 2 hours.

>>>>>There is mandatory DAILY office time and meetings from 7:30am -10:30am for ALL sales associates both new and seasoned, which I attended bright and early. After this time ALL sales team can then hit the road to see accounts and generate business.

I witnessed the early morning sales meeting time and pep-rally ......it was horrific. In short, 1/2 the sales team swore openly. Part of the morning's meeting time was dedicated to how the sales team gets past gatekeepers in which they role-played this......... I was appalled. The 3 sales associates who volunteered were flat out rude and obnoxious in all 5 of their role-play scenarios. I thought they were kidding! Not one of the 15+ colleagues watching the performance with me said anything on their disgustingly rude behavior, and their sales manager highly praised them on it! I continued to think, "Is this REALLY what they say and do when they are out there selling the companies' services and products? You gotta be kidding me? Wow!"

Rude, stuck-up, snobby, kid behavior apparently is how they do it here at the Cbeyond San Diego location. I'm truly amazed this company is doing as well as it is doing. Big business, nice San Diego office, sales team and managers are immature "frat/sorority-minded" kids and business appears to be run that way. No thanks.

Interview Question – Why do you see yourself a perfect for this position?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Personally witnessed how these people do their job. Not for me.

Anaheim, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Cbeyond in April 2009.

Interview Details – I was called by a third party recruiter about a job opportunity for door to door sales with a real base salary and commission. The base seemed attractive, about 31,000 a year and goes up to 41,000 a year within 6 months. I came in and interviewed with her and she sent me off to meet the HR Lady at CBeyond. The HR Lady was nice and the office seemed pretty cool. She told me about the position and showed me their fancy grid of how they pay their employees. I was a bit weary about this "cold-calling" business, which is really walking door to door in a "territory" and trying to get small business owners to buy your product. I wasn't sure about this but I decided to accept the offer to go on a job shadow day at their Anaheim Office. I got there bright and early at 7am (or 8am, can't remember), and the whole office was filled with young 20 somethings like myself. Except they all seemed a bit immature and they were calling one guy T-Bag. So right off the bat, negative impression of the people there. I had to sit in on a sales meeting where they were discussing fun group outings. I thought that was cool that they had a good, fun environment. After watching them make phone calls and talking with some of the reps, I was sent out on a job shadow with this obnoxiously preppy girl. She didn't even want to take a real lunch break... what kind of company doesn't let you take a lunch break? We ran into her manager at the The District in Irvine when we were having lunch. I also noticed that throughout the day she was getting phone calls and having to check in with the manager... micro-manage much? I'm not a fan of that... it makes you feel like you're a child. The day was ridiculous, people were yelling at us from being from CBeyond, the majority of them had heard of us but NONE of them had anything positive to say.
You also had to do this "5 after 5" thing where you get 5 business cards after 5pm... so you don't end up back at the office until at least 6pm!! They make you fill out a report and so most of the people don't even leave til 7pm at night! Who would want to work 12 hours a day, drive all over Southern California and receive little or no respect.
The person below me has it right, they also sell horribly OVERPRICED products. In addition to that, they try and tell you that they give you a phone and lure you in that way... their phone was an OLD blackberry...the kind with the side scroll.. that's how old it was. And they only give you that so they can call you and e-mail you throughout the day to bug you.
I was called in for a 2nd interview the following day to meet with the VP of something. My meeting was at 1pm and I got there at 12:50.... the guy didn't meet me until almost 1:30pm!! SO UNPROFESSIONAL! He was smug and rude when we spoke. I was not a fan of the people who worked here.

Interview Question – If you were given $5,000, what would you do with it? You're not allowed to save it or invest it.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I wasn't interested in door to door sales.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cbeyond

Worked for Cbeyond? Contribute to the Community!

Cbeyond Videos

Cbeyond – Why Work for Us?

Cbeyond puts the latest technology within reach of any size business. Using our private, high-bandwidth network, we deliver voice and data services from your location to the cloud. By shifting the technology burden to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cbeyond Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 26 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cbeyond employees and interview candidates.