Cbeyond

Updated Jul 10, 2014

2.7

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Representative Interview

Phone interview went great. Went in and met my manager and interviewed with him and he made it sound like I had the job and was going to call me the following week, however he didn't call to offer 2 months later.

Interview Questions

had another job by the time they offered

Other Interview Reviews for Cbeyond

Sales Representative Interview

Quick phone interview followed by in person interview. Most of the questions were to make sure you were willing to work hard, there were no technical questions or anything of that nature.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gardena, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gardena, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cbeyond in February 2013.

There was a three process interview, interview was very easy to get. They promise of high comissions and great gass allowance and phone allowance. Was kind of skeptical of it because of all the bad reviews i found flying around the web which seemed very true. Three step interview with the last being a ride along with one of the sales reps.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cbeyond in January 2012.

Systematic and rushed interview process

Interview Questions
    There were not negotiation for this position. Comp was flat

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cbeyond in September 2011.

A day in the life, walking door to door into crazy places selling marginal VOIP services. My day was 90* outside and I was full suit sweating my ass off, not for me. The Manager wanted me bad, but they want everyone bad.

It's a crazy cult

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cbeyond in May 2010.

- Was contacted by a recruiter who was hard-selling me on the position. Fine.
    - phone interview was standard.
    - 1:1 interview had several red flags. When I asked what advantages Cbeyond had over competitors, there was a lot of solid answers. When I asked what advantages they may have over Cbeyond, I was (adamantly) told that there were none. Uh-oh.
    - Had a great Ride-Along where the person gave me a lot of good info. The job is rough, but that's something else entirely from the interview.
    - Decided not to go in for my 3rd and final interview, so I called and cancelled. Combination of red flags given off by interviewer (as well as management's behavior while I was there) and the fact that I simply decided I wasn't up for going door-to-door (Totally respect people who are though).

Interview Questions
    • What sales experience do you have?   View Answer
    • Have you had problems with a previous employer.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cbeyond in December 2009.

I was called after submitting a resume on careerbuilder. I flew out to Houston in order to meet with the recruiters. (I say below that the interview was 'difficult,' simply because of the huge amount of time and effort it took to get to the interview. I took 2 days off work, and I spent about 12 hours at cbeyond between 2 days, and I didn't even go back for a "final interview" with the office VP. And unlike other interviews I've gone to, they don't pay you for your time or your travel arrangments.)

The first day, which was frankly a waste of time, they spent telling me what the daily schedules and authority structures were within the company. I spent about 45 minutes in the waiting room, waiting for an interview which probably didn't last 45 minutes. They consistently ask you about why you want the job, not-so-subtly pushing you towards a more and more emphatic answer. Look forward to such original questions as "Tell me about yourself." and "Why are you a good match for this job?"-- 5 different people will ask you this in 50 different ways.

The next day, I spent 10 hours shadowing a sales rep at a normal day at the company. Everyday a salesperson is expected to collect 50 points, which means walking into 50 doors per day to give a sales pitch. You're also expected to make about one sale per week. At first, we went to one of the dozens of training sessions on how to get a customer to sign a contract and how to combat questions without really answering them. At the second meeting, the 'team leaders' asked everyone where they were going that day, and made pushy comments to those who hadn't pulled in a sale yet that week. After both daily morning meetings, which went from about 7:00am to 10:00am we spent the rest of the day (until around 530pm) in the field, going from office park to office park, walking into small businesses, uninvited, to give a very loose sales pitch. At the end of the day I had to meet with two more bosses, who basically said-- this is exactly what your job will be, and you want it. can you do it, or are you a loser? Can you be the best at it? How much are you willing to beg for it? It was all very condescending and, for lack of a better term, slimy.

Interview Questions
    • Why would someone buy our product?   View Answer
    • What is the one word you would use to describe our services?   View Answer

At first it looks exciting-- being a grown-up, wearing a tie, working in a 30 floor building, being issued a used blackberry from 2004-- but you quickly find that this is a flaky, fickle company that spends more time trying to look like a real business than be a business. One of the 'team leaders' told me, and I quote, "A customer will never save money with our products, they are about 30% more expensive than our competition." Personally, I have no trouble selling good products and services, but this was clearly a low quality service, at a very high price, marketed to small business owners who really didn't need it and couldn't afford it.

The very first door we walked into was a small business owner who nearly cursed us off when he found out we were with cBeyond. He was a customer for a year and could not have been more disgusted. I think his exact words were "we ran from cBeyond."

Go to yahoofinance and look at the stock (CBEY) history and price. There is a reason it looks like crap. Look them up on wikipedia--There isn't an entry, and there is a reason for that, too. Do basic research (like you're doing now), and think about why they don't have real metrics that show that they're a strong company.

The real problem with the company is that it's built on eggshells-- they don't actually do anything. It's just middle-man sales. They essentially have bought tons of phone plans from Sprint and T1 lines, package them into sets of 6, then sell them to small businesses that don't need them. Probably 90% of the businesses we went in were companies of less than 3 people, usually family members, almost always foreigners, with one phone line-- our job was to sell them a $450 monthly plan with a T1 internet line with at least 6 phone lines. What was funny to me was that they take these existing products (literally Sprint contracts, cell phones and calling cards), bundle them up in an unnecessary way, and tack on bulky overhead costs. This office hired about 10 people a month into their 4-month training period and laid off about 10 people a month, into a sales staff of about 60. They ask you to commit for one year, but almost no one stays for more than 6 months. I toured with the most tenured rep in Houston, and one of their longest workers in the company... he had been there less than 2 years. They ask you to work a minimum of 50 hours a week, but imply that if you want to keep your job-- you'll work 60 or more. The also tell you that you'll make 60 or 70,000 a year, which you won't/ If I remember correctly, the salary is like 30,000/year, plus a one-time 'bonus' for every sale you make, which is between $100 and $150. I remember leaving the interview after my one day "test drive" of sales calls, and thinking "man, my job sucks"-- then I realized that I didn't have to take it. My advice to you: you are young, if you really need money, paint houses or work in retail while you interview for real jobs.

Sales Representative Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cbeyond in November 2010.

Very straight forward, A recruiter recommended me. I listened to him and followed all steps. 5 days later I am a Cbeyond Employee.

Sales Representative Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cbeyond in August 2010.

Everything under the sun.

Interview Questions
    • What would you improve about the company?   View Answer
    • Who is better? You, or the other people that we are interviewing?   View Answer
    Non-negotiable

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cbeyond in May 2010.

I went through a recruiter who helped set up an appointment with the HR department. There was a short phone interview which consisted of typical questions such as:
    1. Why sales?
    2. Why do you think you'll be a good fit?

The next day, I had a one one one interview with the HR lady. Again, she asked typical questions such as:
    1. Why did you quit your last job?
    2. Why do you think you'll be a good fit?
    3. Why did you choose this company?
    4. What makes you stand out from the rest?

Interview Questions
    • What makes you stand out from the rest of the candidates?   Answer Question