Cell Press Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cell Press

Scientific Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Cell Press.

Tests, phone interview, in-house interview with tests.

Scientific Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cell Press in December 2009.

You must have an interest in being an editor. Once they have decided they are interested, you are given a test with two weeks to complete; mine consisted of coming up with a number of review ideas for a special reviews issue (I am a reviews editor), as well as coming up with individuals that would be appropriate for the editorial board for my journal. If they are happy with this, you are given a phone interview. I then had an in-office interview with a number of different editors, some of which were multiple at a time. I also had a short reading and abstract writing test in the office.

Interview Questions
    • This isn't actually a question, but I felt like I needed to convince the individual who is now my manager that I was interested in being an editor rather than trying to find any job I could get after my postdoc.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a small increase, but in general, there is little room for negotiation coming in after a postdoc. Years of experience as a postdoc and number of publications is not taken into account.