Cengage Learning

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Media Developer Interview

Associate Media Developer
Belmont, CA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Cengage Learning in July 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process was fairly straightforward and routine. I had eight interviews in total, two with HR people and the other six with regular employees. It was six weeks from my initially applying for the opening to my start date, and that's including time I needed to relocate from our of state. Team collaboration is key for this position, so I interviewed with almost everyone on the team I would be working with. Questions ranged from my project management and technical aptitude to my personal philosophies and perspective on digital publishing in higher ed. I think this company does recruiting and hiring fairly well, and I would recommend them.

Interview Question – What do you anticipate the American education system to be like twenty years from now? How will technology influence things then?   View Answer

Content Coordinator Interview

Content Coordinator
Belmont, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cengage Learning in October 2010.

Interview Details – After submitting my application on the Cengage website, I had to wait several months before being called, so it was quite the pleasant surprise. A phone interview was the first step; following successful completion of the 30-minute, low-pressure interview was the proofreading test, which was e-mailed to me. I was given a week to complete the test and asked to keep track of the time I spent on it. The test, which consisted of homework questions containing grammatical and formatting errors for me to identify and correct, was only about five pages long, but I spent about eight fun-filled hours to make sure I had been thorough. Several days after submitting the test, I was informed that I had received a passing grade and was called in to the Belmont office for an in-person interview.

The interview was an all-day affair, consisting of seven 30-minute interviews with employees from the entry-level position for which I was applying up to middle management. Everyone was pretty chill; I got the feeling that the decision I was qualified for the position had already been made based on my resume and the proofreading test, and that now their goal was to determine whether I would be a good fit. It was all very informal, and I even felt overdressed in my suit while everyone else was wearing jeans and T-shirts (not that I recommend dressing that way to interview, but I think business casual would have done just fine).

The coolest thing was probably that they provided lunch, which not only tasted yummy but also allowed me to see how employees at different levels interacted with each other. As I recall, we mainly talked about the strange behavior of certain employees' cats and how to stave off an addiction to Diet Coke.

Interview Question – Apparently, "emission" can, in fact, be pluralized by tacking an "s" onto the end; it is not a collective noun like "water." This was the only question on the proofreading test I did not immediately kick myself for having missed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate salary; I was too chicken and just accepted their initial offer. In retrospect, I really should have negotiated. I learned later that a coworker did, with very favorable results.

Associate Media Editor Interview

Associate Media Editor
Belmont, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Cengage Learning in July 2012.

Interview Details – I had seven interviews in two rounds, with members of editorial and media development ranging from mid to high level. All of the interviewers were courteous, well-informed about my background and the position, and asked engaging, insightful questions. Many times, the discussion began with my current experiences, then moved into how I could apply those in the new role, and then concluded with a discussion of the current state of the industry and the motivations behind what we do. I thoroughly enjoyed these discussions, and they were prompt in follow-up and response to my questions and inquiries throughout the process.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when you had to analyze and present data in a previous or your current position.   View Answer

Project Editor (Aplia) Interview

Project Editor (Aplia)
Belmont, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cengage Learning in October 2010.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume and cover letter through their online system and it took over 3 weeks before I heard anything back.

I have a HR phone screening to confirm I was still interested, and my background info was correct.

I then had a screening call with the hiring manager to confirm my background and ask a few basic questions (greatest strengths and weaknesses, why I was interested in the job etc)

I was then invited in to the office for a day of interviews and lunch (I think it was 7 different interviews in all). The people were all incredibly friendly and interested to see how I might fit in to the organization. They were really open to questions from me, as well.

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Belmont, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cengage Learning in January 2012.

Interview Details – Received immediate contact from recruiter. Set-up a time to speak with recruiter where she went over the position and asked a few basic questions regarding my background. After confirming that the position was a good fit for me, she set-up a phone interview with the hiring manager. I had a great conversation with the hiring manager who informed me that one more phone interview would be done with another team member prior to bringing people in for in-person interviews. I had a good conversation with this "team member" and expected a status update over the next few days. 3 weeks have passed and I have yet to hear one word from the recruiter or hiring manager after sending each one 2 emails. Very disappointed with HR and their inability to get back to me. If this is how potential employees are treated, I am glad I found out now rather than later.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Marketing Coordinator
Belmont, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Cengage Learning in July 2010.

Interview Details – I initially received a phone screen where the basic questions were asked. After the phone screen with HR, an in person interview was set up with the marketing team. I met with the Marketing Director and Marketing Managers. All of the office staff seemed very friendly, smart and nice.

Senior Media Editor Interview

Senior Media Editor
Belmont, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Cengage Learning in August 2009.

Interview Details – Got this interview through an referral of someone I met. Talked via phone and in-person with about 7-8 people. Most of the interviewers asked general questions and some were not prepared. Most of it seemed like a "does she fit" interview. Was not offered the job, I suspect because of my salary requirements. Salaries in the publishing industry are low.

General sense is that Cengage is trying to change, become more media savvy, but has a lot of baggage.

Interview Questions

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!