Cengage Learning

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern
San Francisco, CA

I interviewed at Cengage Learning in July 2014.

Interview Details – I met with 3 different women. The first was very formal, the second was unprepared, and the third was extremely casual. Overall, though, I would have to say that it went smoothly and was comfortable.

Interview Question – Describe a time when I had to use my organizational skills.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Chicago, IL

I applied online and interviewed at Cengage Learning.

Interview Details – Two hour interview process, the marketing director was very positive and wanted me to meet with everyone. I first met with the managers i would interact with and then with the marketing specialists and then with the fellow intern. It was a very positive interview.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Cengage? Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Above minimum wage at $10 which was fine for me.

IP Coordinator Interview

IP Coordinator
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cengage Learning in January 2013.

Interview Details – Met with four people. One was prepared and the other three were not. The final three interviewers seemed like they would rather be working than talking to me.

Interview Question – Pretty standard: what's your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative

Interviewed at Cengage Learning

Interview Details – Interview process was a process. 2 phone interviews, 2 in person, flew to another city to present for a group for final interview. I felt very prepared as I had used an article from Forbes with the 50 most asked interview questions.

Interview Question – Gathering data from schools in territory in order to prepare for final presentation was very time consuming.   Answer Question

Inside Sales - Learning Consultant Interview

Inside Sales - Learning Consultant
Independence, KY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cengage Learning.

Interview Details – Very thorough.
Step 1: Initial phone interview about 45 minutes
Step 2: Your project. You will be asked to call on schools in randomly selected states. Your task will be to acquire a minimum of 4 contacts and get their input on what makes a good textbook sales rep. You will then document your experience and send it back for review. You will have 4 business days to complete the project.
Step 3: Face to face interview with 2 district managers and a lead sales rep. You will be asked to perform a mock call to the folks who are performing the final interview and sell a digital product of your choice.

Interview Question – The questions are not designed to surprise the candidate, however they are very relevant to the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Relatively simple. It is a sales job. Compensation is 50% Base 50% commision. Not much wiggle room to negotiate base. The do have a small range and will make an offer based upon experience.

Jun 9, 2014

Thank you very much for the feedback. Our recruiting team works very hard to ensure a positive candidate experience which includes making sure candidates such as yourself have an opportunity to share ... More

Accountant Interview

Accountant
Mason, OH

I applied online and interviewed at Cengage Learning.

Interview Details – Everyone was very engaging and personable. Easy conversation with the Cengage recruiter, receptionist and interviewers. The process was comfortable, natural, and fast. A really great experience and looking forward to the opportunity ahead. I have worked both for a National company and a family owned business. I like the atmosphere of the small, family owned business and the structure and challenges of a larger national company. I feel Cengage will offer both the challenges and atmosphere I desire in a career choice.

Digital Solutions Manager Interview

Digital Solutions Manager
Independence, KY

I applied through other source - interviewed at Cengage Learning in January 2014.

Interview Details – They make you go through several interviews and complete a project. Sometimes they want a portfolio. I applied 4 times for the position. I know someone else who has gone through the excessive interview process 10 times. They do not seem to value internal experience with the company. The whole process is questionable, as they have passed over extremely qualified internal employees to hire the sister of someone who already works in the department.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions   Answer Question

Jun 9, 2014

Thank you for the feedback. The candidate interview experience is a priority for our recruiting team -this includes making sure candidates have the information they need prior to the interview as ... More

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cengage Learning.

Interview Details – Took 2 full months. Lots of interviews as you will end up working with a large amount of support staff. You will speak with your direct manager, co-workers, district manager, regional manager, sales manager, digital solutions coordinator, do an in person interview, a presentation on some of the products/technology. 90% can be done online or phone but at least one is in person.

Interview Question – Pretty standard questions. Lots of experience questions. Big one was, "Describe on example where you failed to meet your goals and what you did following that failure."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations took about 2 weeks. I requested above their standard pay and was given it following several email and phone calls.

Very Difficult Interview

Analyst, Strategy and Corporate Development Interview

Analyst, Strategy and Corporate Development
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cengage Learning in April 2014.

Interview Details – Very smooth and professional process. Recruiter responded quickly and courteously, and provided a positive phone pre-screening experience.

Actual interview lasted exactly one hour. The EVP touched on professional history only briefly in the beginning and then moved on to the case study, which seemed to be the most important piece. The case study was non-traditional and challenging, especially if one wasn't intimately familiar with the publishing industry. The case study was followed by a puzzle. Even though it wasn't as difficult, the puzzle required some creative problem-solving.

Interview Question – Case study and puzzle   View Answer

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative
Clifton Park, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Cengage Learning.

Interview Details – Initially the interview process took off quickly with several promising conversation full of great feedback. managers were friendly and professional and the clifton park office is also very nice. I was impressed with how quickly the process moved along until after the third round when all of the sudden forward momentum slowed. After being asked to rush my paperwork and everything necessary on my end ( "do this tonight please") I ended up waiting two months for what was promised to be two weeks. My consistent checking in yielded more excuses justifying the dragged on process.

Interview Question – Very straight forward questions on my experience.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I accepted another position with another company with better everything including transparency and efficiency. I had already accepted this position long before I received any concrete responses from Cengage.

Apr 28, 2014

Thank you for the feedback. I am dissapointed to hear about your experience - the offer process is a time for more frequent contact and greater sharing of information to ensure you, the candidate ... More
Interviews for Top Jobs at Cengage Learning

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!

Cengage Learning Videos

Cengage Learning – Why Work for Us?

Cengage Learning is a leading provider of innovative teaching, learning and research solutions for the academic, professional and library markets worldwide. The company's products and services are designed to foster… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cengage Learning interview questions and advice. All 74 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cengage Learning employees and interview candidates.