Cengage Learning

63 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Coordinator Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Cengage Learning in January 2013.

Interview Details – While the interviewing process can be stressful for anyone, I had a positive experience with it when interviewing for the Marketing Coordinator role. In terms of initial communications, I went through a phone screen with Marcia Dorfman, Recruiter. While the phone screen can be intimidating as it's a first mode of contact and you always want to put your best foot forward, I remember Marcia made me feel relaxed and comfortable with the process. After passing the phone screen, I was fortunate enough to be invited to an in-person interview with two members of the team, the Vice President of Marketing and Marketing Coordinator. Marcia was really helpful and accommodating with scheduling the in-person interview as it would involve some travel time on my end. Each in-person interview was really engaging and it felt an open conversation.

I have to mention that before I interviewed for this role, I previously interviewed for the role of Digital Content Coordinator with another team within the company. However, I didn't get the role due to lack of technical experience. While rejection never feels good, Marcia made it a point to call me and explain why I didn't get the role. This act truly bolstered my sense of the Cengage Learning company culture and I knew I wanted to work here even more when I sent in my application for the Marketing Coordinator role.

Interview Question – My most difficult question would have to be situational questions like what do you do when you have too much on your plate?   Answer Question

Product Management Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Cengage Learning in January 2014.

Interview Details – I reached out to HR VP on LinkedIn to find out how my past skills might sync with their needs. I had two great Informational interviews with recruiter for a senior position,then a phone interview with the GM, followed up by about 6 in-person interviews. Was a bit surprised that no one got back to me for 4 months and then only through an automated message.

Interview Question – Interviewers had prepared straightforward questions; nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Learning Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cengage Learning.

Interview Details – I went through a series of 7 interviews with various members of the district team and one on campus project. 6 of the 7 interviews were over the phone and 1 of the 7 I had to give a presentation on a digital product from Cengage. All the interviews were fairly straightforward and people were very easy to speak with. Be sure to follow up with each conversation you have and be confident in your answers.

Interview Question – Can you describe a time when someone threw up a smokescreen, and how did you deal with that situation?   Answer Question

Contract Manager Interview

Mason, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cengage Learning in January 2011.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with an HR rep and then 2-3 phone interviews with people in other locations and finally an inperson interview.

Interview Question – No "difficult" questions, just the normal ones.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They called and offered me the job, I asked for more money, we settled in the middle and then I received my official offer letter.

Assistant Editor Interview

Detroit, MI

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cengage Learning in November 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed once with hiring manager and once with an HR associate. Took skills test and passed. Submitted writing sample for evaluation. Interviewer (hiring manager) was pleasant, courteous, insightful, and encouraging. Office culture at this company was/is very pleasant, casual, relaxed, agreeable, for the most part.

Interview Question – Did you really write this paper yourself? If hired, do you plan to keep looking for a job elsewhere?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation stage at the time I was hired. I accepted the initial offer.

Marketing Interview

Marketing

Interviewed at Cengage Learning

Interview Details – People were nice, but questions came out of left field that asked for requirements not in the job description.

Interview Question – What do you like to do in your free time? Asked several times, even when an answer was given.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Boston, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cengage Learning in February 2013.

Interview Details – I had previously interviewed with Cengage Learning for an Executive Assistant position in a different department within the Boston, MA location. While I did not get the job, I did receive good feedback with the promise that they would keep my resume on file and contact me if a similar position became available. While I thought this was very nice, I did not put much stock into it. However, recently this did happen! I was contacted by one of Cengage Learning's Senior Recruiter / Talent Acquisition individuals out of their Farmington Hills, Michigan office, who worked with me to arrange all the logistics. Her name was Christine Blauvelt and she was exemplary in her knowledge, professionalism and consideration of me as a potential future employee. I am very grateful to her and Cengage HR in general. All in all, it was a positive and memorable experience.

Interview Question – Questions were typical and was more a case of "fit" with manager.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The job offer and Cengage's benefits package are excellent. I accepted immediately with no negotiation necessary.

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cengage Learning in January 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed by phone for an MM position in Boston.

Interview Question – I would hesitate to call it difficult, but was asked about some specifics at my former company.   View Answer

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

Farmington Hills, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cengage Learning in January 2013.

Interview Details – Extensive interview process and test for a contract position.

Interview Question – There is an extensive (several pages) questionnaire/test about Agile and development process for the role of analyst.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated with the contract house for pay. When my contract ends, I will negotiate pay and benefits with Cengage directly.

Sales Representative Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cengage Learning in November 2009.

Interview Details – fairly thorough. A phone interview with the hiring manager which was followed by an in person interview. Then there was a presentation I had to make. Finally there was an interview with the area manager.

Interview Question – Describe your most challenging situation at work and what you did to over come it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to get a higher starting salary because of my past sales experience. Normally they stick to starting salary of 30-40K to start.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cengage Learning

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!

Cengage Learning Videos

Cengage Learning – Why Work for Us?

Cengage Learning is a leading provider of innovative teaching, learning and research solutions for the academic, professional and library markets worldwide. The company's products and services are designed to foster… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cengage Learning interview questions and advice. All 63 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cengage Learning employees and interview candidates.