Cengage Learning

2.9

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mason, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mason, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Cengage Learning.

My interviews were great but I feel there were too many of them. My initial interview was with human resources. The second interview was with the person for whom I was going to work under. The third interview was with that person's boss and the final interview was with that person's boss's boss. Way too many interviews. But, I got the job!

Interview Questions
    The interview process took approximately 3 to 4 weeks. Once I was given an offer, everything just fell into place as a normal expected hire.

(Confidential) Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cengage Learning.

I interviewed twice with this company. Both times, I was assured I would be moving forward in the interview process. Both times, weeks turned into months. Later learned that one position was not officially an open posiiton with HR, but I was asked to return.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Cengage Learning in September 2014.

I submitted resume through employee referral. I was contacted by district manager two weeks later via phone for interview. That resulted in an in personal interview. I then was asked to complete campus project (visit campus with guidelines and submit report) Overall positive experience and seems like a great fit.

Interview Questions
    • the campus project was probably the most time consuming, but can't say difficult. It was great experience to feel out the role of publishing sales rep.   View Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Found the position online and applied through the website. Had initial phone conversation with Director of Sales and was invited in for face to face interview with Director and two other team members. Phone interview consisted of several questions about my educational background and in-person interview was more focused on work experience.

Interview Questions
    • Wanted to know actual questions that I would use in my selling process for my current position which is unrelated to Cengage position.   Answer Question

Product Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cengage Learning in August 2014.

I was called for a phone interview after responding to what I call an "email interview" where I answered several questions by email. Interview wasn't too difficult, I hung up feeling that it went rather well but have not heard a response yet.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions. Interview was pretty conversational rather than someone firing questions at me.   Answer Question

Senior Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cengage Learning in August 2014.

After applying, I was contacted by the Cengage Learning human resources department to schedule an in-person interview. They were flexible if need be on the time and date. Upon confirmation, they sent me an email with a benefits package of what Cengage Learning offered. This was unexpected and appreciated. The in-person interview was down in the city of Boston, MA, which traveling to and from can be tricky with how congested the area is with people. Once there and signed in with security, the interview lasted about an hour. The place of business was clean and welcoming. The interviewer was engaging, made me feel very comfortable as the job was discussed. There was an AV setup to display my portfolio website, along with plenty of room to showcase my print portfolio. Upon finishing the interview, we engaged in general conversation as being led to the elevator to exit the building.

Also, the people working the parking area were pleasant, accommodating, and friendly to me before and after the interview. Overall, the experience was excellent.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose Cengage for employment opportunities?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Cengage Learning in July 2014.

I met with 3 different women. The first was very formal, the second was unprepared, and the third was extremely casual. Overall, though, I would have to say that it went smoothly and was comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when I had to use my organizational skills.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Cengage Learning.

Two hour interview process, the marketing director was very positive and wanted me to meet with everyone. I first met with the managers i would interact with and then with the marketing specialists and then with the fellow intern. It was a very positive interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Cengage? Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?   View Answer
    Above minimum wage at $10 which was fine for me.

Inside Sales - Learning Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, KY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cengage Learning.

Very thorough.
    Step 1: Initial phone interview about 45 minutes
    Step 2: Your project. You will be asked to call on schools in randomly selected states. Your task will be to acquire a minimum of 4 contacts and get their input on what makes a good textbook sales rep. You will then document your experience and send it back for review. You will have 4 business days to complete the project.
    Step 3: Face to face interview with 2 district managers and a lead sales rep. You will be asked to perform a mock call to the folks who are performing the final interview and sell a digital product of your choice.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are not designed to surprise the candidate, however they are very relevant to the job.   Answer Question
    Relatively simple. It is a sales job. Compensation is 50% Base 50% commision. Not much wiggle room to negotiate base. The do have a small range and will make an offer based upon experience.

Cengage Learning Response

Jun 9, 2014VP, Talent Acquisition

Thank you very much for the feedback. Our recruiting team works very hard to ensure a positive candidate experience which includes making sure candidates such as yourself have an opportunity to share ... More

Sales Representative Interview

Interview process was a process. 2 phone interviews, 2 in person, flew to another city to present for a group for final interview. I felt very prepared as I had used an article from Forbes with the 50 most asked interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Gathering data from schools in territory in order to prepare for final presentation was very time consuming.   Answer Question