Cengage Learning

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Cengage Learning

Interview Details – Interview process was a process. 2 phone interviews, 2 in person, flew to another city to present for a group for final interview. I felt very prepared as I had used an article from Forbes with the 50 most asked interview questions.

Interview Question – Gathering data from schools in territory in order to prepare for final presentation was very time consuming.   Answer Question

Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cengage Learning.

Interview Details – Took 2 full months. Lots of interviews as you will end up working with a large amount of support staff. You will speak with your direct manager, co-workers, district manager, regional manager, sales manager, digital solutions coordinator, do an in person interview, a presentation on some of the products/technology. 90% can be done online or phone but at least one is in person.

Interview Question – Pretty standard questions. Lots of experience questions. Big one was, "Describe on example where you failed to meet your goals and what you did following that failure."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations took about 2 weeks. I requested above their standard pay and was given it following several email and phone calls.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cengage Learning in November 2009.

Interview Details – fairly thorough. A phone interview with the hiring manager which was followed by an in person interview. Then there was a presentation I had to make. Finally there was an interview with the area manager.

Interview Question – Describe your most challenging situation at work and what you did to over come it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to get a higher starting salary because of my past sales experience. Normally they stick to starting salary of 30-40K to start.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Baltimore, MD

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cengage Learning in March 2012.

Interview Details – Sales phone interview, in person interview, sales presentation to 3 people

Interview Question – be sure to ask for the business. Ask them if they are going to hire you.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Representative

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Cengage Learning in June 2010.

Interview Details – Process was lengthy with two initial interviews and than a third with the Regional Manager. Had to do a presentation

Negotiation Details – There was room to negotiate but not much.

Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cengage Learning in May 2011.

Interview Details – Came in for an interview with two of the sales managers, then was asked to return for a 1:1 interview with a different sales manager. After I was asked to complete a project which consisted of asking 3 random professors what they thought of sales reps.

Interview Question – How would you sell your product versus a competitors if the two items were exactly the same?   View Answers (2)

Sales Representative

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cengage Learning in June 2010.

Interview Details – very informal interview process.

Interview Question – why do you want this job   Answer Question

Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Cengage Learning in January 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for a sales position and did not hear from Cengage. About three weeks later I got a call and had a pre-screen phone interview. After fifteen years of successful selling at a large publishing house, I was then asked to do a campus project. I had to go on a college campus and do a project. I was a bit surprised at this since I had not even had a face to face interview. I did the project and was quite successful at talking to the campus bookstore manager and a good number of professors. This was 3 days before Christmas.
I then was asked to travel 1.5 hours for the face to face interview. It was canceled due to snow. The interview was rescheduled closer to my home. I was interviewed over lunch for about an hour and forty five minutes. At the end of the interview I asked what the salary range was. I was asked what I was looking for. I suspect that they were look to pay me what they would someone coming out of college. I was not hired.

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!