Cengage Learning

Updated Sep 23, 2014

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Cengage Learning in September 2014.

I submitted resume through employee referral. I was contacted by district manager two weeks later via phone for interview. That resulted in an in personal interview. I then was asked to complete campus project (visit campus with guidelines and submit report) Overall positive experience and seems like a great fit.

Interview Questions
  • the campus project was probably the most time consuming, but can't say difficult. It was great experience to feel out the role of publishing sales rep.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Cengage Learning

Sales Representative Interview

Found the position online and applied through the website. Had initial phone conversation with Director of Sales and was invited in for face to face interview with Director and two other team members. Phone interview consisted of several questions about my educational background and in-person interview was more focused on work experience.

Interview Questions
    • Wanted to know actual questions that I would use in my selling process for my current position which is unrelated to Cengage position.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Interview process was a process. 2 phone interviews, 2 in person, flew to another city to present for a group for final interview. I felt very prepared as I had used an article from Forbes with the 50 most asked interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Gathering data from schools in territory in order to prepare for final presentation was very time consuming.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cengage Learning.

Took 2 full months. Lots of interviews as you will end up working with a large amount of support staff. You will speak with your direct manager, co-workers, district manager, regional manager, sales manager, digital solutions coordinator, do an in person interview, a presentation on some of the products/technology. 90% can be done online or phone but at least one is in person.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions. Lots of experience questions. Big one was, "Describe on example where you failed to meet your goals and what you did following that failure."   Answer Question
    Negotiations took about 2 weeks. I requested above their standard pay and was given it following several email and phone calls.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cengage Learning in March 2012.

Sales phone interview, in person interview, sales presentation to 3 people

Interview Questions
    • be sure to ask for the business. Ask them if they are going to hire you.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Cengage Learning in June 2010.

Process was lengthy with two initial interviews and than a third with the Regional Manager. Had to do a presentation

There was room to negotiate but not much.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cengage Learning in November 2009.

fairly thorough. A phone interview with the hiring manager which was followed by an in person interview. Then there was a presentation I had to make. Finally there was an interview with the area manager.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your most challenging situation at work and what you did to over come it.   Answer Question
    I was able to get a higher starting salary because of my past sales experience. Normally they stick to starting salary of 30-40K to start.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cengage Learning in May 2011.

Came in for an interview with two of the sales managers, then was asked to return for a 1:1 interview with a different sales manager. After I was asked to complete a project which consisted of asking 3 random professors what they thought of sales reps.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell your product versus a competitors if the two items were exactly the same?   View Answers (2)

Sales Representative Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cengage Learning in June 2010.

very informal interview process.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Cengage Learning in January 2010.

I applied for a sales position and did not hear from Cengage. About three weeks later I got a call and had a pre-screen phone interview. After fifteen years of successful selling at a large publishing house, I was then asked to do a campus project. I had to go on a college campus and do a project. I was a bit surprised at this since I had not even had a face to face interview. I did the project and was quite successful at talking to the campus bookstore manager and a good number of professors. This was 3 days before Christmas.
    I then was asked to travel 1.5 hours for the face to face interview. It was canceled due to snow. The interview was rescheduled closer to my home. I was interviewed over lunch for about an hour and forty five minutes. At the end of the interview I asked what the salary range was. I was asked what I was looking for. I suspect that they were look to pay me what they would someone coming out of college. I was not hired.