Center for American Progress

Updated Nov 23, 2014

2.3

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Center for American Progress.

Applied online by given deadline; was contacted a few weeks later for a phone interview. Was offered the position a few weeks after that. Typical interview questions - why CAP, what's your weakest attribute, what policies do you care about the most, run through your resume, what was your favorite experience in college, etc.

The time frame was really great - I heard back quickly.

Other Interview Reviews for Center for American Progress

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Center for American Progress.

I received an email from the Center for American Progress a month after I sent in the application. I had been selected to interview for a policy team. I had a phone interview with an assistant.. He asked pretty standard questions, and the interview lasted around 30 minutes. He told me that he did not get to make the decision but he was to pass his opinion onto the intern coordinator. I did not receive any further communication from them until I contacted them at which point they told me I would not be offered an internship.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about work you've done in specific policy areas, and statistics you found interesting.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Center for American Progress.

Behavioral questions to get interest

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Center for American Progress.

Only phone interview

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked about my research paper that I wrote a year ago, and I couldn't remember any details.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Center for American Progress.

Applied in February, didn't get an email to set up an interview till April. Interview was fairly straightforward with questions focusing on my experience, goals, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really all too challenging; mostly questions about my experience, goals, etc. as mentioned before.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Center for American Progress in November 2012.

The process consisted of a phone interview. It was more of a conversation rather than a question/answer style interview. The hiring process for interns happens by department, and the executive assistant in the department was the person who called me.

Interview Questions
    • I always struggle with the question where they give you a list of objects and say how'd you utilize them together.   Answer Question
    There's no negotiation. They offer a stipend for interns.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Center for American Progress in March 2012.

I applied through the normal process and was contacted for an interview shortly after. The interview was over the phone and only lasted 15 minutes. The interviewer was friendly and patient and allowed me to express myself fully. Most of the questions were pretty straight forward--it seemed that they wanted more to confirm what I had described on my resume and in my application than actually evaluate me.

Interview Questions
    • What are your top three policy interests related to the Center for American Progress and how do you think they should be addressed?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Center for American Progress in February 2012.

Applied using directions on the intern website. Received email for phone interview a week after. Phone interview was standard with resume run-through, and questions about prior experiences. Interviewer was easygoing and fun to speak with, and also quite eager and wiling to answer questions about the internship. Waited two weeks for final decision, which was via phone call.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took a dayinterviewed at Center for American Progress in August 2011.

It was easy and relaxing.

Interview Questions
    • Can you describe your experience in Latin American studies?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Center for American Progress in November 2009.

The interview process was very simple and straightforward. Email your resume, cover letter, writing sample, and references -if they're interested, they'll email or call you back. The over-the-phone interview was somewhat casual and the interviewer was very friendly. The whole process was very simple compared to my other applications.

Interview Questions
    • What would you consider to be your greatest weakness? Why? What do you do about it?   Answer Question
    • Think of a time where you couldn't do a task that was asked of you? What did you do? What was the outcome?   Answer Question