Center for American Progress

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern

I applied online and interviewed at Center for American Progress.

Interview Details – I received an email from the Center for American Progress a month after I sent in the application. I had been selected to interview for a policy team. I had a phone interview with an assistant.. He asked pretty standard questions, and the interview lasted around 30 minutes. He told me that he did not get to make the decision but he was to pass his opinion onto the intern coordinator. I did not receive any further communication from them until I contacted them at which point they told me I would not be offered an internship.

Interview Question – They asked about work you've done in specific policy areas, and statistics you found interesting.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Center for American Progress in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through the normal process and was contacted for an interview shortly after. The interview was over the phone and only lasted 15 minutes. The interviewer was friendly and patient and allowed me to express myself fully. Most of the questions were pretty straight forward--it seemed that they wanted more to confirm what I had described on my resume and in my application than actually evaluate me.

Interview Question – What are your top three policy interests related to the Center for American Progress and how do you think they should be addressed?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Center for American Progress.

Interview Details – Behavioral questions to get interest

Interview Question – Whats one weakness   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Center for American Progress.

Interview Details – Only phone interview

Interview Question – The interviewer asked about my research paper that I wrote a year ago, and I couldn't remember any details.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Center for American Progress.

Interview Details – Applied in February, didn't get an email to set up an interview till April. Interview was fairly straightforward with questions focusing on my experience, goals, etc.

Interview Question – Nothing really all too challenging; mostly questions about my experience, goals, etc. as mentioned before.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Center for American Progress in November 2012.

Interview Details – The process consisted of a phone interview. It was more of a conversation rather than a question/answer style interview. The hiring process for interns happens by department, and the executive assistant in the department was the person who called me.

Interview Question – I always struggle with the question where they give you a list of objects and say how'd you utilize them together.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There's no negotiation. They offer a stipend for interns.

Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at Center for American Progress in August 2011.

Interview Details – It was easy and relaxing.

Interview Question – Can you describe your experience in Latin American studies?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Washington, DC

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Center for American Progress in February 2012.

Interview Details – Applied using directions on the intern website. Received email for phone interview a week after. Phone interview was standard with resume run-through, and questions about prior experiences. Interviewer was easygoing and fun to speak with, and also quite eager and wiling to answer questions about the internship. Waited two weeks for final decision, which was via phone call.

Interview Questions

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Center for American Progress in November 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process was very simple and straightforward. Email your resume, cover letter, writing sample, and references -if they're interested, they'll email or call you back. The over-the-phone interview was somewhat casual and the interviewer was very friendly. The whole process was very simple compared to my other applications.

Interview Questions

• What would you consider to be your greatest weakness? Why? What do you do about it?   Answer Question
  • Think of a time where you couldn't do a task that was asked of you? What did you do? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Center for American Progress.

Interview Details – The interview was done by phone and was very pleasant. The interviewer was very nice, which gave a positive impression of Center for American Progress. I was simply asked about my work experience and talked about why I wanted to work with CAP. The first thing that is asked of you is to talk about your progressive values.

Interview Question – I was asked about the last book I read.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A good thing to think about is knowing beforehand who you'll be working with and what you'll be working on.

Worked for Center for American Progress? Contribute to the Community!