Center for American Progress

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.5

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Center for American Progress.

Applied online by given deadline; was contacted a few weeks later for a phone interview. Was offered the position a few weeks after that. Typical interview questions - why CAP, what's your weakest attribute, what policies do you care about the most, run through your resume, what was your favorite experience in college, etc.

The time frame was really great - I heard back quickly.

Special Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Center for American Progress in October 2014.

Applied online. Within two weeks I went to their office for an in-person interview with the outgoing person at the position. Interview was standard 30-minute with standard questions. Interviewer promised to get back to me within two weeks (which was the end of their employment at CAP). Interviewer told me hiring was taking longer than expected, and after interviewer left CAP there was no more correspondence (either from the department or HR). Eventually, the position was taken off their job listings page and was filled.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a manager that had a different managing style than you are accustomed to?   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

I applied online. I received a phone message (but I was working elsewhere at the time) so I could not respond right when they called. It was absolutely impossible to make out the message. No matter how loudly or how slowly the message played, it was very difficult to understand what was the message. After 4-5 tries I managed to reverse-Google the phone number and realized it was CAP.

I called the number to proceed with the process. Two people I spoke to on two separate days said that unless I had a name from the message, they couldn't direct me to the right person. I explained to each person that whoever left the message needed to enunciate more and the second person transferred me. The next two people I spoke to needed me to explain the situation AGAIN and the last one attempted to transfer to the press office. I managed to halt that transfer and explained that I had not applied to a press/media position.

Finally I managed to get ahold of the person that I think was the one who posted the position or was the supervisor, since it seemed her name was within the garbled message. She said she would look into it and get back to me. Following up via email during the next week led to no response.

Based on some of the other reviews here, this lack of response was not an isolated case here (nor is it isolated just to CAP). I guess they do not have an HR director/admin assistant to handle the incoming applicant flow. The disorganization and sloppy work was rather disappointing, but I suppose it was better to sooner rather than later in the process.

I applied online – interviewed at Center for American Progress.

I received an email from the Center for American Progress a month after I sent in the application. I had been selected to interview for a policy team. I had a phone interview with an assistant.. He asked pretty standard questions, and the interview lasted around 30 minutes. He told me that he did not get to make the decision but he was to pass his opinion onto the intern coordinator. I did not receive any further communication from them until I contacted them at which point they told me I would not be offered an internship.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about work you've done in specific policy areas, and statistics you found interesting.   Answer Question

Economic Policy Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Center for American Progress.

I applied through the regular application process and was contacted about a month and a half later. The interview process was pretty straight forward. The interviewer was friendly and allowed me to express myself fully. the questions were mostly on what area of public policy i wanted to work in and how I thought I could contribute to that area.

Interview Questions
    • What are your top three areas of interest and how do you think you can contribute to these areas.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Center for American Progress.

5 months with an HR backlog that stretched it out at the end

Aim high.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Center for American Progress.

Behavioral questions to get interest

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Center for American Progress.

Only phone interview

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked about my research paper that I wrote a year ago, and I couldn't remember any details.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Center for American Progress.

Applied in February, didn't get an email to set up an interview till April. Interview was fairly straightforward with questions focusing on my experience, goals, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really all too challenging; mostly questions about my experience, goals, etc. as mentioned before.   Answer Question

Special Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Center for American Progress.

Interviewed with potential supervisor and then with 2 people who currently had job. I followed up via email and didn't hear back again until I emailed again 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • In this position you will be in charge of hiring interns. How will you approach this?   Answer Question