Center for American Progress

Relevance Date Difficulty

Researcher Interview

Researcher

Interviewed at Center for American Progress

Interview Details – I applied online. I received a phone message (but I was working elsewhere at the time) so I could not respond right when they called. It was absolutely impossible to make out the message. No matter how loudly or how slowly the message played, it was very difficult to understand what was the message. After 4-5 tries I managed to reverse-Google the phone number and realized it was CAP.

I called the number to proceed with the process. Two people I spoke to on two separate days said that unless I had a name from the message, they couldn't direct me to the right person. I explained to each person that whoever left the message needed to enunciate more and the second person transferred me. The next two people I spoke to needed me to explain the situation AGAIN and the last one attempted to transfer to the press office. I managed to halt that transfer and explained that I had not applied to a press/media position.

Finally I managed to get ahold of the person that I think was the one who posted the position or was the supervisor, since it seemed her name was within the garbled message. She said she would look into it and get back to me. Following up via email during the next week led to no response.

Based on some of the other reviews here, this lack of response was not an isolated case here (nor is it isolated just to CAP). I guess they do not have an HR director/admin assistant to handle the incoming applicant flow. The disorganization and sloppy work was rather disappointing, but I suppose it was better to sooner rather than later in the process.

Intern

I applied online and interviewed at Center for American Progress.

Interview Details – I received an email from the Center for American Progress a month after I sent in the application. I had been selected to interview for a policy team. I had a phone interview with an assistant.. He asked pretty standard questions, and the interview lasted around 30 minutes. He told me that he did not get to make the decision but he was to pass his opinion onto the intern coordinator. I did not receive any further communication from them until I contacted them at which point they told me I would not be offered an internship.

Interview Question – They asked about work you've done in specific policy areas, and statistics you found interesting.   Answer Question

Economic Policy Intern Interview

Economic Policy Intern

I applied online and interviewed at Center for American Progress.

Interview Details – I applied through the regular application process and was contacted about a month and a half later. The interview process was pretty straight forward. The interviewer was friendly and allowed me to express myself fully. the questions were mostly on what area of public policy i wanted to work in and how I thought I could contribute to that area.

Interview Question – What are your top three areas of interest and how do you think you can contribute to these areas.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Center for American Progress in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through the normal process and was contacted for an interview shortly after. The interview was over the phone and only lasted 15 minutes. The interviewer was friendly and patient and allowed me to express myself fully. Most of the questions were pretty straight forward--it seemed that they wanted more to confirm what I had described on my resume and in my application than actually evaluate me.

Interview Question – What are your top three policy interests related to the Center for American Progress and how do you think they should be addressed?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Center for American Progress.

Interview Details – 5 months with an HR backlog that stretched it out at the end

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Aim high.

Generation Progress Intern Interview

Generation Progress Intern
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Center for American Progress in April 2013.

Interview Details – Send resume/cover letter to internship coordinator (her name at the time that I was an intern is Erin Green) she reviews it and if she thinks you're worthy she sends your application to the departments you listed as your preferences and the supervisors from those departments will schedule an interview.

Interview Question – No tricky questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – All interns are paid the same monthly stipend, after internship remained a paid part-time reporter making $25/blog post and $150/ feature story I contributed to CAP.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Center for American Progress.

Interview Details – Behavioral questions to get interest

Interview Question – Whats one weakness   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Center for American Progress in February 2013.

Interview Details – They emailed me to schedule an interview, I was studying abroad at the time and they were very nice about scheduling for a time that would accommodate for the time difference.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you? Why are you interested in CAP?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Center for American Progress.

Interview Details – Only phone interview

Interview Question – The interviewer asked about my research paper that I wrote a year ago, and I couldn't remember any details.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Center for American Progress.

Interview Details – Applied in February, didn't get an email to set up an interview till April. Interview was fairly straightforward with questions focusing on my experience, goals, etc.

Interview Question – Nothing really all too challenging; mostly questions about my experience, goals, etc. as mentioned before.   Answer Question

Worked for Center for American Progress? Contribute to the Community!