Center for Discovery

Updated Feb 3, 2015
Updated Feb 3, 2015

2.0

LVN/Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Center for Discovery.

Laid back, slightly unprofessional, but relaxing and welcoming. facility is in a mansion, with a pool. it's basically a female adult eating disorders, but it's mostly residential psych. Bad management, bad pay/communication, high turnover, easy intro job for interns and experience. free food!

Interview Questions
    • are you comfortable eating in front of others, and do you have boundaries   View Answer

Pay was too low

Counselor Interview

Found job posting on indeed.com and was recommended by a friend. Set up interview via email. Interviewed with the facility administrator and program director. They asked me about my past experience and my career goals for the future. They told me they would let me know by Friday (interview was on Monday). I was called on Tuesday and was offered the position.

Primary Therapist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Center for Discovery.

Found position listed online (Craigslist). 2 separate interviews in person, one on site and the other at the corporate offices. The employees hiring me were very warm and helpful, although it was somewhat disorganized and stressful making sure all my paperwork/applications/clearances, etc. were in order.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about my personal experience with eating disorders.   Answer Question
    I was asked my salaray preferences

Residential Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Center for Discovery in March 2014.

I submitted my resume online. I then received a phone call. She then asked me to come in for a face to face interview. I was offered the job a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • If asked about whether you have ever had an eating disorder would you share that information with your clients? Why or why not?   Answer Question

Night Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whittier, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Center for Discovery in January 2013.

Very basic. I felt like I lead the interview process and asked more questions then the interviewer did. I was asked the basic questions. Tell me about your background, education, why I wanted to work in mental health etc. Interviewer explained a little more about the position however didn't go into too much detail. At times I felt like I was fishing for information. I asked questions like "Can you walk me though a typical shift'...Interviewer didn't really have a response for me. I asked why the position was open...again, interviewer skated over this question.

Interview Questions
    • There were none. She did ask me why I wanted to work in mental health but I wouldn't consider that a difficult question.   Answer Question
    I was a little annoyed because I was told in the interview that the hourly salary i was requesting shouldn't be a problem however when the offer was made the hourly salary was a $1 less.

Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whittier, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Center for Discovery in January 2012.

Interview was basic. There where a few "tell me about a time questions" and that was about it. Interview lasted maybe 20 minutes and that was mostly because I asked a lot of questions. I received a tour of the facility and then completed a paper application. After I was offered the job I had to complete a Live Scan, Drug Test and Background check. This process to about 3 weeks however it was during the holiday time so I think it would have gone faster had it been another time of year

They said the position was paying between $12-$14 an hour. I only had 6 months experience at the time so I asked for $13. They ended up offering me $12 with a review and raise after 6 months. To this day (nearly 2 years later) I have yet to receive a review because the turn over is so high my manager keeps changing.

Drug and Alcohol Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whittier, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Center for Discovery in August 2011.

It was easy a few years ago when I was hired. Was initially screened by the Clinical Coordinator then sent to the Director for interview. There were the usual hoop of background check, fingerprinting and health screening that have become ubiquitous. I think from start to finish it took about a month.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if two clients got into a physical altercation?   Answer Question
    They asked the minimum I was willing to work for. I had not yet finished my training as a drug and alcohol counselor so I bid low. It's a real shame I did that because there is no set wage for the position, and the max increase for "superior" performance after a year is 6%, even though I have substantially more education now. But then some employees got no increase at all this year.