Center for Strategic and International Studies

Updated Aug 17, 2015

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Center for Strategic and International Studies

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies in July 2015.

Interview

I sent a resume and cover letter, and the next day they arranged me an interview with a research assistant. He explained in more detail about the role as an internship, and asked some behavioral questions and my interest in the field. A week after the interview was over, I had a writing test. I basically had to write an essay in 30 minutes. Both the interview and the writing test was not challenging, at I got an offer the day I submitted my writing prompt.

Interview Questions

• Basic stuff like why interested in this position and behavioral questions   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Center for Strategic and International Studies

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies in May 2015.

Interview

I actually interviewed for two different internships at the same time -- the interview process for both was very straightforward. Both asked me to describe my background and asked routine questions about my organizational and research skills. Both also asked me more substantial questions about their respective programs, and although it seemed like they were putting me on the spot, I think they were just looking for how you went about answering the question as opposed to the actual substance of the answer.

Interview Questions

• Who is the Foreign Minister of Burma? What was your favorite research project in college?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview

First they offered me phone interview, but I said I wanted to meet them directly. It was definitely helpful because I got to meet the whole team. Then second interview was with deputy director of the program.

Interview Questions

• If you have a supernatural ability, what would it be?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview

Applied online for a semester-long internship in one of the specific programs. Received an invitation to interview a month later. Went into the office for an interview (though was offered the option for an interview over the phone). Interview was approximately 45 minutes long. Mostly questions about why I was interested in the position, what experiences on my resume (or others) contributed to that interest. Asked about work style. Asked about what projects I would be interested in working on and why. Asked some topic-related questions that definitely required specific knowledge to answer. Received offer via email a week and a half after my interview and was given 5 days to accept or decline.

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected question was about what I like to do outside the office (for fun, hobbies, etc.)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate for more time to accept the offer, as I was balancing other interviews/positions, but could not get a significant amount of more time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was called back for a phone interview with my supervisor two weeks later. I went in for an in-person interview the following week with two staff members, and then went in for a second in-person interview again (the supervisor was out of the office when I went in for my first interview). I then submitted a few writing samples and waited for my references to be called. I started about a month after I initially applied. It was a good experience overall, despite having to go through so many steps. I clicked really well with everyone who interviewed me.

Intern Interview

Interview

Applied online. Got an email a few weeks later for an in-person interview at DC office. Brand new headquarters, very impressive building. One-on-one interview with one person, about 40 mins. Prepared by reading current news/reports on subject, learning up on CSIS background and program.

Interview Questions

• Just asked about resume, why a good fit for program, etc. No curveball questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview

I was contacted for a phone interview after a friend forwarded along my resume. They asked a lot of straightforward questions about my experience and what I gained from them. They also asked some behavioral questions like 'how do you deal with high pressure situations and a lot of things being thrown at you?'

Interview Questions

• How do you think organizations can use social media to their benefit?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in April 2013.

Interview

submit the online application and then had a phone call interview. The interviewer is very friendly

Intern Interview

Interview

I got the internship information from my university. I submitted the application and get email from the organization to set up the phone interview schedule. And the next day, I got phone interview. There was no difficult interview questions at all.

Interview Questions

• No difficult question at all. That was internship position.   Answer Question