Center for Strategic and International Studies

Updated Feb 9, 2015

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Center for Strategic and International Studies

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview

First they offered me phone interview, but I said I wanted to meet them directly. It was definitely helpful because I got to meet the whole team. Then second interview was with deputy director of the program.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

Interview

Applied online through CSIS review, phone interviewed for an internship. 5 people on the line with me, everyone asked questions. Then I was hired as an intern, hired as an RA 6 months in, after my internship was over.

Interview Questions

• What is your preferred database management software experience?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview

Applied online for a semester-long internship in one of the specific programs. Received an invitation to interview a month later. Went into the office for an interview (though was offered the option for an interview over the phone). Interview was approximately 45 minutes long. Mostly questions about why I was interested in the position, what experiences on my resume (or others) contributed to that interest. Asked about work style. Asked about what projects I would be interested in working on and why. Asked some topic-related questions that definitely required specific knowledge to answer. Received offer via email a week and a half after my interview and was given 5 days to accept or decline.

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected question was about what I like to do outside the office (for fun, hobbies, etc.)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate for more time to accept the offer, as I was balancing other interviews/positions, but could not get a significant amount of more time.

Intern Interview

Interview

Applied online. Got an email a few weeks later for an in-person interview at DC office. Brand new headquarters, very impressive building. One-on-one interview with one person, about 40 mins. Prepared by reading current news/reports on subject, learning up on CSIS background and program.

Interview Questions

• Just asked about resume, why a good fit for program, etc. No curveball questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview

I was contacted for a phone interview after a friend forwarded along my resume. They asked a lot of straightforward questions about my experience and what I gained from them. They also asked some behavioral questions like 'how do you deal with high pressure situations and a lot of things being thrown at you?'

Interview Questions

• How do you think organizations can use social media to their benefit?   Answer Question

Research Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview

I was initially contacted by email letting me know that I had secured an interview with one of the centers within CSIS that I had applied for. The interview was relatively standard, with questions about my academic background, languages spoken, work style, and strengths and weaknesses. There were two people that interviewed me, which surprised me, but I later found out was not standard because the program manager was leaving and the new one wanted to interview me as well.

Interview Questions

• The interviewers asked me about a scenario involving Iran and its danger to the Persian Gulf. I had to discuss anti-ship missile, Iran's naval capability, and other facets.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in April 2013.

Interview

submit the online application and then had a phone call interview. The interviewer is very friendly

Intern Interview

Interview

I got the internship information from my university. I submitted the application and get email from the organization to set up the phone interview schedule. And the next day, I got phone interview. There was no difficult interview questions at all.

Interview Questions

• No difficult question at all. That was internship position.   Answer Question

Research Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied through the CSIS website to an internship position. I was contacted by email by the Research Assistant to arrange an interview, and then received an offer within a week after my interview. There was no second round of interviews or anything like that -- quite an easy process!

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were particularly difficult, but one thing in the job description, which was a particular strong point for me, turned out not to be part of the position after all.   Answer Question

Negotiation

n/a

Summer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, DC) in April 2012.

Interview

I got in touch with a friend who works at CSIS and asked about the best way to get your foot in the door. She passed my resume along to two programs that I was interested in. One of the programs emailed me almost immediately and asked if I would be interested in a summer internship with them and if I could speak with them in the next 4 days. We had a brief phone interview where they asked me to talk them through my resume and what I was working on at my current job. I had an offer in my inbox within 3 days.