Center for Strategic and International Studies

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview Details – Applied online for a semester-long internship in one of the specific programs. Received an invitation to interview a month later. Went into the office for an interview (though was offered the option for an interview over the phone). Interview was approximately 45 minutes long. Mostly questions about why I was interested in the position, what experiences on my resume (or others) contributed to that interest. Asked about work style. Asked about what projects I would be interested in working on and why. Asked some topic-related questions that definitely required specific knowledge to answer. Received offer via email a week and a half after my interview and was given 5 days to accept or decline.

Interview Question – Most unexpected question was about what I like to do outside the office (for fun, hobbies, etc.)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate for more time to accept the offer, as I was balancing other interviews/positions, but could not get a significant amount of more time.

Interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies

Interview Details – Applied online. Got an email a few weeks later for an in-person interview at DC office. Brand new headquarters, very impressive building. One-on-one interview with one person, about 40 mins. Prepared by reading current news/reports on subject, learning up on CSIS background and program.

Interview Question – Just asked about resume, why a good fit for program, etc. No curveball questions.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview Details – I was contacted for a phone interview after a friend forwarded along my resume. They asked a lot of straightforward questions about my experience and what I gained from them. They also asked some behavioral questions like 'how do you deal with high pressure situations and a lot of things being thrown at you?'

Interview Question – How do you think organizations can use social media to their benefit?   Answer Question

Research Intern Interview

Research Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by email letting me know that I had secured an interview with one of the centers within CSIS that I had applied for. The interview was relatively standard, with questions about my academic background, languages spoken, work style, and strengths and weaknesses. There were two people that interviewed me, which surprised me, but I later found out was not standard because the program manager was leaving and the new one wanted to interview me as well.

Interview Question – The interviewers asked me about a scenario involving Iran and its danger to the Persian Gulf. I had to discuss anti-ship missile, Iran's naval capability, and other facets.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies in April 2013.

Interview Details – submit the online application and then had a phone call interview. The interviewer is very friendly

Interview Question – to talk about yourself   Answer Question

Interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies

Interview Details – I got the internship information from my university. I submitted the application and get email from the organization to set up the phone interview schedule. And the next day, I got phone interview. There was no difficult interview questions at all.

Interview Question – No difficult question at all. That was internship position.   Answer Question

Research Intern Interview

Research Intern
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Interview Details – I applied through the CSIS website to an internship position. I was contacted by email by the Research Assistant to arrange an interview, and then received an offer within a week after my interview. There was no second round of interviews or anything like that -- quite an easy process!

Interview Question – None of the questions were particularly difficult, but one thing in the job description, which was a particular strong point for me, turned out not to be part of the position after all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – n/a

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies in April 2012.

Interview Details – I got in touch with a friend who works at CSIS and asked about the best way to get your foot in the door. She passed my resume along to two programs that I was interested in. One of the programs emailed me almost immediately and asked if I would be interested in a summer internship with them and if I could speak with them in the next 4 days. We had a brief phone interview where they asked me to talk them through my resume and what I was working on at my current job. I had an offer in my inbox within 3 days.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies in March 2011.

Interview Details – Few weeks after I applied for the summer internship program online, I got an email to schedule a phone interview. The interview was a conference call with me and two mid-level staff persons. It was a typical interview to talk about why you are interested, what makes you a good candidate, etc. They also provided good answers to the questions I had about the company. The interview was informal, relaxed, and friendly.

Interview Question – How did you become interested in our work?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Internship
Washington, DC

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Center for Strategic and International Studies in May 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for a job in November and was declined because I was still in school. I followed up to ask if there was anything I could to improve my candidacy and program coordinator told me that I should come to DC to do informational interviews since I was finishing school in Chicago. I did, and emailed her like 5 months later. I had the informational interview, it went well. I later emailed her in may and asked her to review my cover letter for the internship application. She immediately told me she needed an intern I was interviewed over the phone on Friday and got the position on Monday.

Interview Question – Is this the kind of work you would be interested in doing?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Center for Strategic and International Studies

Worked for Center for Strategic and International Studies? Contribute to the Community!