Central Garden & Pet

Updated Nov 24, 2014

2.8

Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Central Garden & Pet.

My interview process was the longest and most intensive I have ever had. I had a phone interview first with 2 top department executives. I was living in another state so I was flown in and I interviewed with 8 different managers or executives of various departments. I was flown in for a second round of interviews a couple weeks later. I interviewed with 5 more people. I interviewed with a total of 17 people. Then I completed a lengthy online application and personality test. Background and reference checks and finally the offer. It took about 6 weeks for the hiring process but I got my dream job combining my passion for horses and my marketing skills.

Interview Questions
    My recruiter negotiated for me and did an excellent job for me.

Associate Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Central Garden & Pet.

2 half-hour phone interviews; one with an HR Coordinator and another with the hiring manager. Both of these were to assess previous experience, personality, and why you would want to work for CG&P. Then a few weeks later 1:1 interviews with 3 separate people on the brand management team and 1 HR Coordinator. Each interview was about 45 minutes and consisted of behavioral questions regarding past successes.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were difficult or unexpected. Be sure to know your background and have around 10 STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) answers and plenty of questions to ask yourself.   Answer Question
    Slight negotiations but they have a tight budget so had to be practical.

Associate Brand Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Central Garden & Pet in September 2014.

I applied online and then a few weeks later I got an Initial screening call which was short and the caller was very nice. A week later I got a call from the HR coordinator and we scheduled an Interview call with the hiring manager, which lasted an hour and a half. It went well and we talked a lot about digital marketing. A week later I got a call from the HR coordinator to schedule a second interview. The following week I had a second interview with another team member doing the same job in their east coast office. He was very nice and we talked about the work, job environment, digital marketing and what was going on in that arena. That interview was an hour and a half.

I heard from HR a week later to schedule me for more interviews at their corporate office in CA. They arranged the flight, car to pick me up, and hotel. I flew in the night before the interview and the following morning was my interview. It lasted about five hours and was with several staff and management. They each spent time interviewing me for about 45 minutes to an hour. They were upper management like the Marketing Manager, Digital Marketing Manager, Division Manager, Hiring Manager, etc. Everyone was very nice and it was not stressful. It was a very long day, but worth it if I got the job.

I waited a week (maybe longer) and never heard back from them so I sent an email to my HR coordinator contact inquiring if they had filled the position. She must have forwarded it to the hiring manager because I immediately got my rejection email. That was disappointing to for me to prepare and invest so much of my time and to not get any contact until I reached out to them. It was also an investment of their time (staff) and money for my flight and hotel. The experience wasn't bad, just time consuming.

Interview Questions
    • The job was in the Equine division so I got asked during my interviews if I owned and/or liked horses. I don't own a horse, but made it clear I love animals.   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Central Garden & Pet in November 2013.

They called me once to do an initial phone screen. I was then passed on to do a 30 minute phone interview with the marketing manager. I was called a few days later by HR inviting me to an in-person interview, which I was told would be a three-hour process and I would be meeting with three managers. I got a lot of attitude on my phone screen with case questions quickly fired at me, but wanted to check out the company so I went anyway.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to analyze a situation without all the details. Tell me about it, how you resolved it, and what the final outcome was.   View Answer

The company told me they were experiencing exponential growth, however, their pitiful quarterly earnings were recently released, showing just how much trouble the company is in. I felt like I was lied to and deceived, and frankly, one man I interview with kept checking me out while I was speaking and trying to be professional. I refuse to support to someone who does that to me in an interview.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Central Garden & Pet in October 2013.

The recruiter was amazing

easy as my experience spoke for itself. I really just wanted to have my weeks of vacation come along with me and they agreed.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

I applied in-person – interviewed at Central Garden & Pet in April 2013.

I was interviewed by the HR manager then my boss. The HR manager pretty much walked me through my resume very sweet and simple. My boss asked me more in-depth knowledge on my future job.

Interview Questions
    • when I was asked about certain regulations I didn't know about.   Answer Question

I wanted to explore my other options

Master Black Belt Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Central Garden & Pet in October 2011.

Weird. Can't explain it any better than that. Some steps were very positive and others were confusing. Started with recruiter phone interview. Next step was flying out to meeting hiring manager at a manufacturing location. I also was interviewed by 2 of the existing MBBs at the same location. After that, I took a personality profile and had a phone interview with HR (rather strange interaction). I was then flown to CA to meet with CEO and given tour of HQ. I was supposed to meet with another VP, but his schedule would not allow. After about a month after interviews, I received an offer and accepted.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Central Garden & Pet in August 2011.

The process was very smooth, I initially had a phone screen with the HR group which involved my past experience, skills, why I want to work for the company, what interested me in the position, etc.

I was called in for my first in person interview at the company office which is fairly sizable given the amount of employees located at the corporate hq. Interviewed directly with the hiring manager, talked about the same stuff I did with HR. The hiring manager is very knowledgable and personable.

Went in the following week again for interviews with 7 people, which was extremely tiring but fascinating as I met with numerous members of the upper management and the executive team including the CFO. A wide array of questions were asked which I felt I did an above average job in answering.

Sadly, I didn't get the position, but they informed me that they would be willing to talk to me in person about the whole process which I politely declined. I was very impressed with the way the company is run and how they treat their potential candidates, they do more than 99% of all companies these days, and I let them know I really appreciated the extra effort they made in keeping contact with me the whole time.

Upper Middle Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Central Garden & Pet in September 2010.

The process was long, but the recruiter kept me in the loop and was very organized. I interviewed twice in-person after phone interviews. The first visit was professional and focused on my skills and capabilities. The second round of in-person interviews were mixed, position focused and then became very personal and inappropriate for an interview. I was very uncomfortable...the questions probably would not be asked of a male applicant. (My current relationship status and family structure, personal views and goals that have no bearing on the position.) I debriefed with HR and I was told that I was highly qualified, but that the interviewer thought I was nervous -- um, no that would be shocked and uncomfortable -- and didn't have the "right personality fit". They were quick to apologize once they were aware of the inappropriate direction of two of the interviews. Everything happens for a reason and I am glad that I saw what I would be in for if I ended up as an employee at Central Garden and Pet.

Middle Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Central Garden & Pet in December 2009.

I phone screened with Human Resources. Two weeks later the interviews where scheduled scheduled. This was quick compared to my other interview experiences this year. I interviewed with HR director, Hiring Manager and one of his colleagues. Everything was professional and mercifully rapid. My initial impressions were very positive, since I started these impressions have only been confirmed. The work culture here is progressive and oriented towards continuous improvement. Everyone seems interested in resolving big issues.

Interview Questions
    • The questions where very straightforward and focused on my area of expertise. No one question really sticks out.   View Answer
    I was able to fit my salary wants into the brackets set for the position. I am making almost exactly what I made in my last job. After more than 7 months of searching I feel fortunate that I found a job in the same salary and bonus ball park as my last job.