Central Market

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Central Market.

Interview Details – Have a group interview m get call from a manager from a department thats interested in bringing you into they're department , set up a one-on-one , then get hired

Interview Question – Group interview can be large   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Central Market in April 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my online application and received a phone call a few days later. The phone call consisted of a few short questions including: Why do you want to work at Central Market? What is your favorite food? Do you cook? I think it is important to be creative with these answers to separate yourself from other interviewees. Don't give a cut and dry answer, but say Italian is my favorite because I spent a semester abroad and fell in love with Italian pizza, etc.

A few days later I got a call back to arrange a group interview time. This was my first group interview and I was somewhat unsure of what to expect. There were at least 10 people in the group and a variety of positions. Some people were applying to this same position as me so it felt competitive. We went around the room and introduced ourselves. Some of the activities included a drawing resume (this was abstract to me but basically you list unique things about you and try to make it creative), a test where we had to guess what some seasonings & utensils were (don't worry half the people do bad on this) and also a role playing exercise. This exercise was fun and really let your personality shine through it. They are looking for the confident people in the room so try and be the most confident one!

Once again, a few days late I was called back for a one-on-one interview. This consisted of more serious questions: What are you most proud of? What is your experience and how does it relate to CM? When was a time you had to think fast on your feet? The questions are harder but you can come up with a strong answer on the top of your head. I was hired on the spot and the rest is history.

Interview Question – What are you most proud of?   Answer Question

Plano, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Central Market in May 2013.

Interview Details – I received a phone call for a group interview about a week after I had applied online. All of the applicants at the interview seemed to be between 18-24 years old and everyone appeared to be very qualified. The group interview lasted over 2 hours and it was strange yet quite fun. I received a call a couple of hours later from a manager to schedule an individual interview. The manager asked me the usual job interview questions and then made me an offer, which I accepted! The hourly pay is pretty good.

Interview Question – Most difficult decision that you've had to make in your life..   Answer Question

Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Central Market in October 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process here is bizarre by any standard, and completely unexpected from a grocery store. Right away you see that working at Central Market is a completely different experience from anywhere else. Potential employees are put into a group interview phase in a cohort of about ten. We were given several hands-on exercises to do, from identifying unlabeled bulk foods to building with Legos to drawing our "résumé" with crayons -- all in front of about a dozen managers who simply watch. At the end is a Q&A session where the prospectives have a chance to ask the managers anything.

When coming to interview here, put your right-brain creativity into motion and be prepared to wax eloquent, if not a little sophisticated, about food.

Interview Question – The ice breaker of getting 5 minutes to re-create your resume using construction paper and markers or crayons is disarming at first.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Central Market.

Interview Details – Online application. called approx. 2 days later to come in for group interview.
Office environment was clean, Interviewers are polite.
Temperature was extremely uncomfortable.
Associates on the sales floor were very unhelpful, unfriendly.
Not one offered a hello or assistance. (does not seem like the interview process is working).

They will call you for an interview even if they have no intention of hiring you. It is a group interview so I guess they need an even number.......
The requirement on application should state: PREVIOUS H-E-B EXPERIENCE.

Interview Question – Many times I had to get up in front of the group of other interviewers, supervisors and managers; to act out scenarios with other candidate. Also had to give presentation "about me" with craft supplies. Written Q & A. Guess the food game was fun but ulterior motives are behind all of the activities. It does not seem to have the employee in mind but company image. Imagine going down a one way street......This is what I received from the group interview. From the little info. I received it is a strict dress code.

To sum everything up about the interview experience. It is unnecessary stress,unhealthy competition, embarrassment and waste of resources.

NEVER AGAIN unless there is no other option.
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Central Market in April 2012.

Interview Details – The last two reviews are accurate. They wasted my time by scheduling a 2nd interview after the group (cattle call) interview. The second interview really gets your hopes up since during the group interview they stated "there may not be a position for you at this time though we are looking for future talent".
For a green company they really waste a lot of paper from the construction paper, gas to get to the cattle call, and most of all time. Studies have shown interview don't prove s*** and are a power trip for managers and HR (who pick someone for a job when they have never done that job in their life and think it's below them.) So really two interviews. All of their imported foods/frozen foods/canned goods is not organic or inspected by the FDA. They post deals in their store adds and when I go to buy those products their out and I have to buy the closet thing which is 30%-40% more costly.

Interview Question – Our computers are down and we can't get your resumes, so can you make you resume with this construction paper, bead, glitter, ****.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Central Market in September 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was held in a group of 20 or more people. All department managers took turns to ask questions. They made us act out scenarios, create handmade creativity based pictures about ourselves, asked way more questions about food than anything else, and even had a food test. The one on one interview (the hiring one) was more of a real interview. It was the basic questionnaire about your needs financially. They promised me in the interview that I would be full time by my 3 month mark there now I've been there almost 7 months and they keep shrugging it off. They act like they'll fix it but they don't ever DO anything.

Interview Question – Look at all of these different unusual foods and tell us what they are.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Southlake, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Central Market in September 2011.

Interview Details – This is a cattle call. They may not even have an opening for what you applied for. They have you there early in the morning looking like a clown. They had cookies for breakfast with orange juice, yum. We had to use construction paper, stickers, and glitter to recreate our application. Then stand up and tell everyone what it means. We had to have a partner and reenact scenarios as a customer and the employee (you play both parts). Then you will have to take a test were they set out ten weird fruits and veggies that you have never seen in your life, and you have to write down what you think they are. They had gummie bears (so you wouldnt make a zero) nutmeg, vanilla bean, passion fruit, a mexican potato thing and thats all I remember. The really hard stuff I can't even spell. The torture lasted two hours, and there was a panel of managers in the back of the room. You had a name tag on your front and on your back. The whole thing was weird especially those extra happy employees. Just skip it, unless you have no other job offers.

Interview Question – If you could go to any country and money was no object, where would you go and who would you take?   Answer Question

Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Central Market in July 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and about a week later received a phone call inviting me to a group interview. There was five other interviewees in my group and five central market managers on the panel. We watched a short video about the company and was then asked to recreate our application using construction paper, markers, stickers etc.

Next, we were paired up for a role playing activity. You were given a situational question like, "You're a department manager and a customer comes up to you and says an employee was rude to him/her. How would you handle it?". The partners took turns being both roles.

The next part was tricky for me. They brought out 10 food items and we had to identify them on a piece of paper. There were things like quinoa, wasabi, and yellow split peas.

After that we sat back down and were asked a few more random questions. "If it were your last meal, what would you eat?"

Finally, we were invited to ask the panel questions. I do recommend thinking of some beforehand.

Interview Questions

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Central Market in April 2010.

Interview Details – Initially it starts out as a group interview. You are posed scenarios in which customer service is to take place and you are to use your knowledge of customer service to the best of your ability. You have to quell topics from angry customers to lack of product in the store. You are then given a product to sell to the panel .

Interview Question – A person clearly gets a product from another store. They have a receipt from a different store and it indicates that they purchased the product there the day before. They come and complain the lack of quality of the product . What do you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It really was all based on your previous experience.

Worked for Central Market? Contribute to the Community!