Central Market

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Central Market.

Interview Details – Have a group interview m get call from a manager from a department thats interested in bringing you into they're department , set up a one-on-one , then get hired

Interview Question – Group interview can be large   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Central Market in April 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my online application and received a phone call a few days later. The phone call consisted of a few short questions including: Why do you want to work at Central Market? What is your favorite food? Do you cook? I think it is important to be creative with these answers to separate yourself from other interviewees. Don't give a cut and dry answer, but say Italian is my favorite because I spent a semester abroad and fell in love with Italian pizza, etc.

A few days later I got a call back to arrange a group interview time. This was my first group interview and I was somewhat unsure of what to expect. There were at least 10 people in the group and a variety of positions. Some people were applying to this same position as me so it felt competitive. We went around the room and introduced ourselves. Some of the activities included a drawing resume (this was abstract to me but basically you list unique things about you and try to make it creative), a test where we had to guess what some seasonings & utensils were (don't worry half the people do bad on this) and also a role playing exercise. This exercise was fun and really let your personality shine through it. They are looking for the confident people in the room so try and be the most confident one!

Once again, a few days late I was called back for a one-on-one interview. This consisted of more serious questions: What are you most proud of? What is your experience and how does it relate to CM? When was a time you had to think fast on your feet? The questions are harder but you can come up with a strong answer on the top of your head. I was hired on the spot and the rest is history.

Interview Question – What are you most proud of?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Deli Clerk Interview

Deli Clerk
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Central Market in May 2013.

Interview Details – Group interview, ask you to smell different herbs, Dry your city with some art supply's. Give you scenarios that you had to partner up with another person to act them out.

Interview Question – What is your favorite food and why is it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Tell you where you are going to work, tell you the pay and thats it.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Plano, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Central Market in May 2013.

Interview Details – I received a phone call for a group interview about a week after I had applied online. All of the applicants at the interview seemed to be between 18-24 years old and everyone appeared to be very qualified. The group interview lasted over 2 hours and it was strange yet quite fun. I received a call a couple of hours later from a manager to schedule an individual interview. The manager asked me the usual job interview questions and then made me an offer, which I accepted! The hourly pay is pretty good.

Interview Question – Most difficult decision that you've had to make in your life..   Answer Question

Service Interview

Service
Plano, TX

I applied online and interviewed at Central Market.

Interview Details – There are 2 interviews. The first is a group interview were you learn about the company and participate in exercises alone and in groups to give you an idea of whats required for the job. If you catch there attention you will get called for a 2nd interview

Interview Question – Had to list the name of abunch of random food products throughout the store   Answer Question

Healthy Living Interview

Healthy Living
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Central Market in March 2013.

Interview Details – Won't write up the group interview, it was exactly as other users here have described. Mine was cancelled and rescheduled.

Got a call back about 45 minutes after I left the group interview saying they wanted a second interview, but that they didn't actually have any openings in the depts. I applied for. I tried to be flexible and agreed to an interview on a Saturday afternoon. I called the FOH manager (it was very difficult to get ahold of her) to try to schedule a time for Saturday.

The FOH manager was unprofessional and did not tell me she was leaving for the day, so when I called for the second or third time, she was gone and had just left a message saying she wanted to meet at 8 AM the following Sunday morning.

I went to the 8 AM Sunday morning interview and it went fine until we started discussing my availability, at which point she pretty much told me she would not be able to schedule me within those hours (9AM-5PM four days a week, open the rest of the week).

I was very mad about this since they had had my availability the entire time. I called HR and left a message and when they called back, they said they had spoken to every other dept. manager in the store and that no one could work within my availability.

As I said, they had the availability the whole time.

So the managers are unprofessional, uncoordinated, and out to take of advantage of a worker as much as they can (I imagine if you say you have an open schedule, you will get a lot of terrible hours). Extremely disappointed with this experience.

Interview Question – Usual customer service questions. Interviewer was very brisk.   Answer Question

Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Central Market in October 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process here is bizarre by any standard, and completely unexpected from a grocery store. Right away you see that working at Central Market is a completely different experience from anywhere else. Potential employees are put into a group interview phase in a cohort of about ten. We were given several hands-on exercises to do, from identifying unlabeled bulk foods to building with Legos to drawing our "résumé" with crayons -- all in front of about a dozen managers who simply watch. At the end is a Q&A session where the prospectives have a chance to ask the managers anything.

When coming to interview here, put your right-brain creativity into motion and be prepared to wax eloquent, if not a little sophisticated, about food.

Interview Question – The ice breaker of getting 5 minutes to re-create your resume using construction paper and markers or crayons is disarming at first.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Central Market.

Interview Details – Online application. called approx. 2 days later to come in for group interview.
Office environment was clean, Interviewers are polite.
Temperature was extremely uncomfortable.
Associates on the sales floor were very unhelpful, unfriendly.
Not one offered a hello or assistance. (does not seem like the interview process is working).

They will call you for an interview even if they have no intention of hiring you. It is a group interview so I guess they need an even number.......
The requirement on application should state: PREVIOUS H-E-B EXPERIENCE.

Interview Question – Many times I had to get up in front of the group of other interviewers, supervisors and managers; to act out scenarios with other candidate. Also had to give presentation "about me" with craft supplies. Written Q & A. Guess the food game was fun but ulterior motives are behind all of the activities. It does not seem to have the employee in mind but company image. Imagine going down a one way street......This is what I received from the group interview. From the little info. I received it is a strict dress code.

To sum everything up about the interview experience. It is unnecessary stress,unhealthy competition, embarrassment and waste of resources.

NEVER AGAIN unless there is no other option.
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Central Market in April 2012.

Interview Details – The last two reviews are accurate. They wasted my time by scheduling a 2nd interview after the group (cattle call) interview. The second interview really gets your hopes up since during the group interview they stated "there may not be a position for you at this time though we are looking for future talent".
For a green company they really waste a lot of paper from the construction paper, gas to get to the cattle call, and most of all time. Studies have shown interview don't prove s*** and are a power trip for managers and HR (who pick someone for a job when they have never done that job in their life and think it's below them.) So really two interviews. All of their imported foods/frozen foods/canned goods is not organic or inspected by the FDA. They post deals in their store adds and when I go to buy those products their out and I have to buy the closet thing which is 30%-40% more costly.

Interview Question – Our computers are down and we can't get your resumes, so can you make you resume with this construction paper, bead, glitter, ****.   View Answer

Floral Interview

Floral
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Central Market in January 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was a 5 step process. They first called and asked me a few questions over the phone, then set up a group interview. The phone portion was easy going and basic. The group interview was fun! We were asked to make an application using random drawing materials, identify random items found within the store, as a group come up with solutions to different customer/employee situations, SELL one of the random food items that we originally had to identify, and basically sell ourselves on why we would be a good Partner. There was a panel of managers from all hiring departments in the group interview consisting of about 15 interviewees
The next interview was with the specific managers from the department. They were easy going and asked general interview questions.
The final interview was with the GM of the store. They basically offer you a deal and make sure you are a good fit.
The final portion is going through background check, orientation, and drug test. The biggest con was that the overall process took about 6 weeks to finally get me in the store and working.

Interview Question – When we were asked to sell a random product in the group interview.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They start you part time and move you to full time after 90 days. If you feel you deserve a pay raise they will consider it.

Worked for Central Market? Contribute to the Community!