Central Transport Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.2

Warren HQ (Corporate Office) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Central Transport.

Applied online and received a phone call (brief phone interview) from HR (actually a sister company to Central Transport). Scheduled in-person interview and received an email with detailed instructions for interview. Appearance is very important-- dress to impress (they have a pretty strict dress-code). When you arrive, you are given a few tests (some for accuracy, some essay questions.. it really depends on the job you're applying for). Tests are pretty easy. Don't stress. Actual interview was very pleasant. If your interview with the HR rep goes well, you will speak with the supervisor of whichever area you're applying to. That "second interview" is basically the supervisor deciding if you will be a good fit for that dept. There's a tour of the building mixed in there somewhere. I think it took a while to hear back. Maybe just over a week? Response arrives via email with an offer letter and other related documents. Overall, I enjoyed working there. Pay is very decent, benefits-- not so much. Left because I didn't see any future there for myself. Advancement comes to the select few who will wait for it. Great stepping stone.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate, but I think you could if you had more than the minimum qualifications.

Collections Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

I applied online – interviewed at Central Transport in November 2014.

I was contacted by an HR rep from HR-1, who asked some questions over the phone and then set up an interview. The interview was very pleasant. First I had to take some basic tests, to measure personality and visual speed and write out the answers to a few questions. Then the interviewer took me onto her office to go over the details of my application, resume and the company. When that was done, she led me back to the collections department where I had a casual interview with the collections manager. She was very outgoing and easy to talk to. We wound up talking for over an hour, but it was very pleasant. Waiting for some news now, but iy seems like a great place to work.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Central Transport in September 2014.

Applied online and received a call from the recruiter right away. Face to face a week later at a local diner. I was told offer was extend but assessment needed to be complete. Complete assessment and paper work for background check. Its been 2 mo and still no word on were I stand. Still no training date or official offer paper have been extended.

Biller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Central Transport in August 2014.

Terrible. Unprofessional. Not What I expected whatsoever. I have a few years experience in trucking and have not very much experience with a place run like this. If you are interested in trucking, stay away from Central Transport

Dock Worker Interview

If you have experience and can communicate well, you will get the job,

set hourly rate

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Central Transport.

Took a few assessments to make sure you have basic computer skills.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing Unexpected...basic customer service related questions   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Central Transport in November 2013.

They called you into a back office and did a standard interview nothing really special but I can tell you that the woman who interviews is a real shady character never liked her at all

Interview Questions
    • How much customer service experience I had?   View Answer

Inside Sales Interview

Was emailed to come in for an interview with an initial HR rep. Was first given a personality test (no big deal). Was very comfortable in initial interview and was told i would be called for a second interview. within days i received a call to meet with the dept head (who is no longer there btw) and second interview also went well but i found the manager to be a little arrogant and later learned so did others inside the company. Was offered the job viw email days later with a contract explain the details. Read this carefully , very regimented environment which is ok for some but i decided to stay put.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly there really weren't any curve balls with this interview. It fit my skill set and i reiterated that in the interview.   Answer Question

I Declined because i have a lot of autonomy in my current position and i didnt feel the pay was worth the tradeoff and there seemed to be a lack of detail on certain issues.

Sales and Service Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Central Transport in December 2012.

Contacted two days after I applied online and did a 25 minute phone screen with HR. I then had a 30 minute phone interview with the regional operations manager, another phone interview with HR that lasted an 1 hour and the fourth interview by video phone at the hiring terminal with the regional sales manager who was at different terminal and lasted about a half hour. I had to do The Predictive Index evaluation and also had to answer three essay questions.

Interview Questions

The salary offered was too low and there was no negotiation which I was bit surprised by, the insurance was too expensive and not very good, car allowance was a joke, no laptop provided, no cell phone allowance, no 401K match and the PTO was okay to start but increased very little over time.

Central Transport is the lowest cost LTL carrier in industry because they run a very lean operation, save money and mitigate costs wherever possible; terminal operations and customer service, etc. are run from their HQ in Warren, MI and there is very little staff at the terminals. I did not have any 1:1 interviews, three of the interviews were by phone and one was by video conferencing. They were all supposed to be video conference but the system was not working for the first 3 interviews. They pay their drivers $2-$3 below industry average and there customer service people, etc are probably paid below average as well. This low cost business model definitely benefits the customer in cost but service is probably sacrificed for the savings. And, employees will get the short end of the stick when it comes to pay, benefits and perks. This is just how they run their business so before accepting a position with Central do your due diligence, ask questions and do your research to determine if working within this type of business model is right for you.

Terminal Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

interviewed at Central Transport in June 2012.

Interview was not very difficult. Mostly easy questions regarding background experience.

Interview Questions
    • Asked a couple scenarios situation on how I would handle them.   Answer Question