Centrica

15 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Finance Intern Interview

Windsor, South West England, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Centrica in August 2013.

Interview Details – online application, telephone interview, assessment centre

Interview Question – is share price the best way to value a company? what are other ways   Answer Question

Marketing Intern 2014 Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Centrica in February 2014.

Interview Details – Started with the standard application, which most should have no difficulty getting through. Followed by standard SHL tests, which as mentioned many times before can be done with lots of practice. Then proceeded to round 1 phone interview which were again standard competency based questions. Tripped up here, because I later found out that I was not to mention previously used examples in earlier stages.

Interview Question – What did your team members think of you as a person? Give examples.   View Answer

Mechanical Engineering Summer Intern Interview

Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Centrica in March 2014.

Interview Details – Begins with a standard online application. The next stage is to complete short online tests to measure spacial awareness and technical engineering skills. Once this has been passed you will be invited along to an telephone interview which is purely competency based and will ask three main questions followed by follow up questions, similar to the competency questions answered in the initial application.

If successful here, the next stage is an invite to an assessment centre. This begins with a short presentation on the company and a meal the night before, with the current graduates and other applicants. The next day is the assessment process, consisting of a presentation with 50 minutes to prepare, 10 minutes to present and 10 minutes for Q and A. Next was the one on one interview which lasts around 45 minutes and is again competency based. The final stage is a group exercise to measure your team working skills.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you have had to done something when you didn't agree with the rules?   Answer Question

Asset Planning Manager Interview

Leicester, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Centrica.

Interview Details – Single Competency based interview with presentation. Panel interview with three managers

Interview Question – How do you prepare for a critical negotiation? What is the key to project management?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Relatively simple and quick

Intern Interview

Interviewed at Centrica

Interview Details – Telephone interview for summer program, questions based on past experiences and how you responded to them. Following the psychometric tests, the company will inform you if you have been selected for the telephone interviews and they last between 30-45 minutes. Ensure examples of previous experiences are different to those stated on application and give specific examples, not generic times when you have done something

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when you have been outside your comfort zone, how did you handle it and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question

Service Manager Interview

Service Manager
Staines, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Centrica in December 2009.

Interview Details – Telephone screening, face to face interview, assessment centre

Interview Question – to prepare a presentation   Answer Question

Summer Finance Internship Interview

Windsor, South West England, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Centrica in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online which is a lengthy application process, but the test was incorporated saving some time. Then I did the telephone interview in which you must use different examples to the application, this is challenging as the questions are similar to the application so make sure you have alternatives ready. At the time I was told that the question answers given in the telephone interview can be used at the assessment centre again as it is not recorded.
Having got through this stage I attended the assessment centre which lasted 9 hours this was very tiring and I regretted travelling on the day, I would advise staying the night before if the journey is long. The day consisted of group presentation, single presentation, interview and then numerical and verbal reasoning tests which were more challenging than the online ones. For the group presentation you must ensure you engage well with your group, single presentation requires a level of previous knowledge on the firm and interview is similar to the usual competency questions with additional focus on your specific area.
Overall you have to forget the values on the website which talk about economic, social and environmental benefits as these are not relevant when you are actually there. If you want the internship you must focus on their profits, exploitation and market power and other self centred views (those top of their agenda). Also ensuring the skills they are looking for are portrayed in your personality throughout the day on all of the tasks.

Interview Question – Unexpected situation and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question

Summer Intern IS Stream Interview

Windsor, South West England, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Centrica in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online through their website for the Information Systems department. The process is quite long. The online application consists of numerical tests, verbal tests, loads of competency-based questions and personality tests. If you're not quite interested in the company, you will eventually give up along the way.

The next step is a competency based telephone interview which is quite straightforward. However, you must think of scenarios you have not included in the online application. It's harder that it sounds!

A few days after the telephone interview I got invited for an assessment centre in Windsor. It consisted of a group-based exercise, a presentation and a final interview. As a computer science student applying for a position in their technical department I was quite disappointed with their assessment. They failed to ask any question that would highlight my technical skills and ability to solve relevant problems; their focus was on how well you tackle business plans and cope with terminology. Tremendous disappointment. Plus, some of the assessors looked incredibly tired and uninterested in everything the candidates had to say.

Interview Question – How would the people you work with describe you?   Answer Question

Upstream Interview

Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Centrica in February 2013.

Interview Details – Did an online application on typical competency questions and verbal and numerical tests. Thereafter a telephone interview similar competency questions to online application. Final stage attended a AC in Aberdeen, Centrica payed for flights and hotel. AC included an individual presentation, group presentation and a competency interview.

Interview Question – Tell us a time you was innovative?   View Answer

Summer Intern 2012 Interview

Windsor, South West England, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Centrica in April 2012.

Interview Details – I was applied for the analyst scheme. A relatively quick process up until the Assessment Centre where I was waiting for around 5-6 weeks to confirm my date.

The phone interview is slightly harder given that I was asked the exact same questions (with follow up) that I was asked to write about in the application. I stupidly didn't have doubles as they ask you to use different examples. Luckily, I thought on my feet and remembered some good ones which obviously done the trick.

The assessment centre - you really are given all the info over the phone to help you prepare. It consists of a group exercise, a role play and an interview. The group exercise is with 4 other candidates and it was solving a relocation problem. Just make sure you keep an eye on time, can back up your justifications and do not cut down other peoples ideas. Centrica hire the person and although an assertive and confident manner is good = arrogance and cutting down other peoples ideas will get you NO WHERE. The roleplay is what I found most difficult - I get slightly embarrassed sitting in a room trying to act out a pretend scenario. I don't think I performed very well but it seems it didnt matter in the long run. Just act confident, back up your argument and you'll find that most of the time the roleplayer will help you slightly and steer you in the right direction (at least mine did!). The final interview was pretty straight forward. They ask the same sort of questions as the phone interview and surrounding their key leadership behaviours.
"time you worked well in a time/time you had a struggling team and you lead it"
"how do you motivate people"
"how do you persuade people to your way of thinking"
"a time where you have went out your way for the customer"
"why you in general/what interested you in this scheme/what skills do you have that fits the scheme/why centrica"
"a time you have made a mistake and learnt from it"
and a couple questions on effective communication and customer service.

I also got asked on what I knew about the oil industry (which was nothing!) and just winged it with some customer service baffle.

My biggest advice I can give you on the assessment centre is to be reflective! The company is very fond of reflection and even if you feel you made a mistake or answered a question wrong - if you identify it in your reflection and how you would do better in the future then they will like it!

Check out the graduate and summer intern blogs - I was involved in blogging during the summer and gave application tips. I'm sure many other interns have done the same!

Interview Question – What do you know about the oil industry/what does the oil industry mean to you?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Centrica? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Centrica interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Centrica employees and interview candidates.