Century 21 Department Stores

Updated Dec 10, 2014
Updated Dec 10, 2014

1.9

Sales Cashier Interview

Applied on thanksgiving and got called in for an interview within a week. It was a group interview with three simple questions and I was offered a position on spot

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult thing you have ever encountered at work or at school and how did you overcome that difficulty   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I was called back for a second interview but it was not a good fit. The corporate office is embedded into the retail store. The reporting managers were nice and approachable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Century 21 Department Stores in October 2014.

I applied online yesterday and got a call last night to come in for today, October 7th. The interview was at the 86th location in Brooklyn, NY. It was a easy interview, one on one. All candidates came in and waited to be called. I was asked why I wanted to work at Century 21 and my previous work experience. The manager that interviewed me made me feel comfortable, so the conversation flowed smoothly. I was told to wait after the interview. I was hired on the spot. It's a seasonal position, but I was told if you have good attendance and your work ethic is up to par, a permanent position will be considered.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Like said in other reviews, the interview process is easy! Good luck.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Century 21 Department Stores.

EASY PROCESS it was at the fulton street location.. but it kinds seemed like high school the way the associates were so petty and immature about situations. all in all the weekly pay was OK.. i did overnight.wasnt the best job but it helped my sneakr addiction.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Century 21 Department Stores.

Applied online and received a phone call invitation to an open interview 2 days later. I arrived on my given date to about 12 other individuals, all of us meeting in the HR office. We were given a math exam on giving change and then waited for the human resources manager. She came down to meet us and divided us into two groups, bringing the first group (which I as apart of) to her office upstairs. We all sat down together in her office and were asked to give a brief introduction of ourselves. We then got ONE interview question which pretty much made or broke your chance at getting hired.

Once everyone was done, she called name by name and told each person they would receive a call back (don't believe this was true). I noticed only myself and only one other candidate were left for last, at which point in time she began a different conversation with us, ultimately offering us the job positions we applied for. We were then given a packet with orientation information and that concluded the interview process, all of which taking a little over an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time where you exerted a great deal of effort to complete a task.   View Answer
    No negotiation. Each title has their own set pay. Loss Prevention is pretty good deal at $12 minimum. Sales cashier is $8

Did Not Like Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores in July 2014.

well it was pretty simple first a math test i thought i was in 4th grade again. Then a group interview she gave us know eye contact like she could care less simple b.s questions.

Interview Questions
    • its wasn't difficult at all just not really my kind of work   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Century 21 Department Stores.

I went to a workforce 1 screening interview and they referred me here. A week later I got a call to come in for a group interview. They had us take a basic math test and then the interview. Asked about past work experiences-a time we broke the rules for example. They said we'd get a call if they were moving forward with us. I guess I didn't get it.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you broke the rules because either you thought the rule was wrong or unnecessary.   Answer Question

Sales/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Century 21 Department Stores.

3 part hiring process.

First is a generic online screening process - don't worry about honesty, focus on getting the right answer. Chances are the managers don't even look at your answers in the online screen process - its just a tool to let managers know which applicant to contact.

Second part is a group testing after being told to wait in the employee's cafeteria where you're given a sheet that asks you simple math related questions regarding money. For example, you're given X amounts of money for a cost total of Y, how much do you give back?

Third part is a group interview where you're taken to a room with other applicants who applied for various positions in the store. While most interviewers would use these opportunities to know more about an applicant, it was more like another online screening used to further remove potential applicants rather than find the right one which is an understandable method given the volume of interviews they probably have to go through. Reflecting back, they do not care for how skilled you are (as long as you passed that test they gave you, it doesn't matter if you understand multidimension calculus or quantum mechanics), your high work ethics, or how enthusiastic you are about the position. The interviewer only seemed to care about further weeding out applicants to simply find ones who are willing to work and follow the rules.

Their hiring rate is extremely high compare to many other companies, but their retention rate isn't that great according to my friends. While its an easy place to get customer service experience for other positions one may be interested in such as in banking, you got to make sure you watch out for yourself at all times which is different than when I worked in HVAC where one worked as a team.

Interview Questions
    • In the third part of the interviewing process, the interviewer/manager asks one to explain a time when one had to break/bend a rule. I told her of how I stayed OT when I worked with kids in an afterschool program who's parents were late at picking them up after I had already signed out because it was not really appropriate to leave children alone and bored as it affects their trust in people. Although I didn't really break any rules other than working OT without pay, THEY DO NOT WANT RULE BREAKERS!   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores.

received a call not too long after applying online then went through two pretty thorough interviews with different managers. Maybe a week later I got the call with an offer and accepted it was pretty straightforward. Any of the other interviews that I have heard about were all pretty straightforward also, there is a fair amount of turn so the company doesn't fool around with applicant.

Sales Cashier Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Century 21 Department Stores in May 2014.

I was a bit late to the interview but once I got there I had to wait an hour to be called. Since I was one of the last people, I didn't have to deal with the group interview, it was just me and someone else. The interviewer asked us some questions that we may deal with in the store. After that she told me the day of orientation and my pay. Overall the interview process was easy.