Century 21 Department Stores

Average Difficulty
57 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate/Cashier

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a phone call invitation to an open interview 2 days later. I arrived on my given date to about 12 other individuals, all of us meeting in the HR office. We were given a math exam on giving change and then waited for the human resources manager. She came down to meet us and divided us into two groups, bringing the first group (which I as apart of) to her office upstairs. We all sat down together in her office and were asked to give a brief introduction of ourselves. We then got ONE interview question which pretty much made or broke your chance at getting hired.

Once everyone was done, she called name by name and told each person they would receive a call back (don't believe this was true). I noticed only myself and only one other candidate were left for last, at which point in time she began a different conversation with us, ultimately offering us the job positions we applied for. We were then given a packet with orientation information and that concluded the interview process, all of which taking a little over an hour.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time where you exerted a great deal of effort to complete a task.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Each title has their own set pay. Loss Prevention is pretty good deal at $12 minimum. Sales cashier is $8

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores in April 2014.

Interview Details – Don't worry, they hire everybody. Cos this is a job for desperate people or students. If you have no experience it's ok, if you don't speak English good - no worries. Minimal wage, no benefits, part-time (and they don't really care about your availability). Just wear something nice, take the simplest math test ever and tell them you wanna work here, That's it. U will be in. Then one day orientation, two days of training with a body, and then you are on your own.

Negotiation Details – no negotiations, you are accepting or not

Sales Associate/Cashier

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores.

Interview Details – I went to a workforce 1 screening interview and they referred me here. A week later I got a call to come in for a group interview. They had us take a basic math test and then the interview. Asked about past work experiences-a time we broke the rules for example. They said we'd get a call if they were moving forward with us. I guess I didn't get it.

Interview Question – Name a time when you broke the rules because either you thought the rule was wrong or unnecessary.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores in January 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online around 10pm the next day I recieved a call to come in for an interview for the following day, it was a group interview was asked questions based on pass work/school experience the interview was pretty easy. Everyone got hired

Interview Question – why century ?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Sales Cashier Interview

Sales Cashier
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores in June 2012.

Interview Details – I was a group interview, fast and straight to the point. It was a very easy interview, they didnt ask too many questions to get to know your personally. There were lots of general questions and in the particular group I was in, it was easy to stand out

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Sales Floor Team Member

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores in August 2011.

Interview Details – Very much your standard questions: Why do you want to work for the company? Past work experience. There was nothing surprising or interesting about the interview. I think it was one of those moments where they need warm bodies and I was a warm body.

Interview Question – There are no difficult questions   Answer Question

Sales/Cashier Interview

Sales/Cashier
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores.

Interview Details – 3 part hiring process.

First is a generic online screening process - don't worry about honesty, focus on getting the right answer. Chances are the managers don't even look at your answers in the online screen process - its just a tool to let managers know which applicant to contact.

Second part is a group testing after being told to wait in the employee's cafeteria where you're given a sheet that asks you simple math related questions regarding money. For example, you're given X amounts of money for a cost total of Y, how much do you give back?

Third part is a group interview where you're taken to a room with other applicants who applied for various positions in the store. While most interviewers would use these opportunities to know more about an applicant, it was more like another online screening used to further remove potential applicants rather than find the right one which is an understandable method given the volume of interviews they probably have to go through. Reflecting back, they do not care for how skilled you are (as long as you passed that test they gave you, it doesn't matter if you understand multidimension calculus or quantum mechanics), your high work ethics, or how enthusiastic you are about the position. The interviewer only seemed to care about further weeding out applicants to simply find ones who are willing to work and follow the rules.

Their hiring rate is extremely high compare to many other companies, but their retention rate isn't that great according to my friends. While its an easy place to get customer service experience for other positions one may be interested in such as in banking, you got to make sure you watch out for yourself at all times which is different than when I worked in HVAC where one worked as a team.

Interview Question – In the third part of the interviewing process, the interviewer/manager asks one to explain a time when one had to break/bend a rule. I told her of how I stayed OT when I worked with kids in an afterschool program who's parents were late at picking them up after I had already signed out because it was not really appropriate to leave children alone and bored as it affects their trust in people. Although I didn't really break any rules other than working OT without pay, THEY DO NOT WANT RULE BREAKERS!   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Department Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores.

Interview Details – received a call not too long after applying online then went through two pretty thorough interviews with different managers. Maybe a week later I got the call with an offer and accepted it was pretty straightforward. Any of the other interviews that I have heard about were all pretty straightforward also, there is a fair amount of turn so the company doesn't fool around with applicant.

Interview Question – what would i change if i worked for the company.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores in January 2013.

Interview Details – One on one, get interviewed by multiple managers separately, get hired or not same day on the spot. Basic questions. Why you want to work there? What do you know about them? What can you offer? Talk about yourself. . . Literally. They like personality.

Negotiation Details – Nothing

Sales Cashier Interview

Sales Cashier
Brooklyn, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores in April 2014.

Interview Details – One week at work force, then another week the first interview with the head of hr. I was asked to come back for a second with the head of there department and was hire the same day. Asking questions like where would you be in the store in fife years, how did you hear of us, what would you like to develop in the company and of course if the interviewer had any questions for him/her.

Interview Question – I would say the interview with the head of department was a slight bit hard. When I forgot the last time I visited a century store.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked if there was overpay and it was not given to part timers, a set pay and time slot so overpay would be avoided.

Worked for Century 21 Department Stores? Contribute to the Community!